What started as a swap meet in Leeuwarden....yet another dutch day...

Options
KathiM
KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
Ended as an adventure in Northwest Holland.

We had driven a very long time to this place, only to find that the swapmeet wasn't there. So, instead of just going home, we drove to the Northwest coast and visited some very lovely places.

First, we stopped in Harlingen, a fishing village with alot of summer visitors (not now) because there are ferries that run across to neighboring islands where summer homes abound. It was cold, but very interesting. We stopped for coffee and appeltaart in one of the few restaurants open (not only is it winter, but it is Sunday, so most things are closed). We also needed to warm up...it was below freezing, with a good wind blowing. As we left, a ferry was leaving. It was quite something to watch!

We then stopped in Makkum, a place famous for it's pottery. It looks alot like Delftware (dutch blue and white), which is better known, but both are very pretty. Again, because it was Sunday, the factory was closed, so all we could do was peak into the window. Beautiful things greeted our eyes...and fairly steep price tags!

Sneek was our last stop. This is a lovely city laced with canals. The sun was out, although it was still verrrrrry cold! We found a very interesting museum that was inside a beautiful old city house. We could still see the grandure of times passed. There was a large area dedicated to the history of skating. Natural enough...Sneek is one of the cities in the 'Eleven Cities Race' where ice skaters compete by skating through 11 cities in Friesland that are connected by water. It is quite a big event when it happens...all of the canals, etc, must freeze solid before this race can happen. It's been a long time since a race has been run...maybe due to global warming...who knows...but if the ice isn't safe, the race isn't run.

We headed home, with some beautiful sunset vistas to watch...and were greeted at home with temperatures below freezing!!! Thank goodness for radiant heat!!!

Dutch knuffels, Kathi

Comments

• grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Options
    That all sounds wonderful!
    Better if it were warmer. Sounds like you are having a fantastic time.

Keep on having fun!

Jennifer
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Options
    grams2jc said:

Keep on having fun!

Jennifer

How fun~
    You made an adventure out of the day, and that's the attitude we need in life when things don't go as we plan them to. And as the day unfolded you were blessed, and so are we as you share your lovely dutch days. The apple taart~ must be apple tart! Familiar, yet can keep one guessing....how fun Kathi.
    I bet the canals, and the pottery window shopping were lovely as you describe~
    ~Melanie
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a very rewarding
    Sounds like a very rewarding day after all! Especially the appeltaart and coffee ;-)
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options

Sounds like a very rewarding day after all! Especially the appeltaart and coffee ;-)

I love reading your
    I love reading your adventures. I love the delft blue and white dishes. I have a friend whose hubby is from Holland and she has a beautiful collection. I knew that there were others. Too bad the factory was closed but then again you saved money didn't you? Have you ever seen the 11 cities race? Happy adventuring in your other home.
    And keep sharing the adventures. I find them fun to read on several levels. One is the enjoyment of your life in Holland. Two is that you have a great way of writing them. But the most important to me is reason number three. I know that you are a two cancer survivor and that you had a horrible prognosis and yet, here you are years later, living life large and relishing each moment. How inspirational is that. I hope that every newbie gets encouragement from knowing that though the journey can be long and hard and sometimes, more than I like to see, we loss someone we care about but that there are also so many that are alive and thriving. Continue to thrive and share your joyful life my friend.
    Stef
  • KathiM
    Options
    grams2jc said:

Keep on having fun!

Jennifer

Thank you, Jennifer!
    We have adjusted to the cold, believe it or not. (So Cal gal here). I am very sure to keep my 'core' warm with down vests, and also wear gloves and a hat to keep out the chill...*smile* many times, I'm actually sweating under everything...

Dutch knuffels, Kathi
  • KathiM
    Options

MMMMM!
    CC: Yup...I am a sucker for apples in sweet cinnamon syrup with whipped cream!!! The BEST thing is, if you drink it with a cup of dutch coffee, there are NO calories at all!!!

Dutch knuffels, Kathi
  • KathiM
    Options

How fun~
    You made an adventure out of the day, and that's the attitude we need in life when things don't go as we plan them to. And as the day unfolded you were blessed, and so are we as you share your lovely dutch days. The apple taart~ must be apple tart! Familiar, yet can keep one guessing....how fun Kathi.
    I bet the canals, and the pottery window shopping were lovely as you describe~
    ~Melanie

Thank you, dear Melanie!
    Yup, it was a dutch apple pie slice...but the dough is sweeter and thicker than we get in the States...

Dutch knuffels, Kathi
  • KathiM
    Options
    fauxma said:

I love reading your
    I love reading your adventures. I love the delft blue and white dishes. I have a friend whose hubby is from Holland and she has a beautiful collection. I knew that there were others. Too bad the factory was closed but then again you saved money didn't you? Have you ever seen the 11 cities race? Happy adventuring in your other home.
    And keep sharing the adventures. I find them fun to read on several levels. One is the enjoyment of your life in Holland. Two is that you have a great way of writing them. But the most important to me is reason number three. I know that you are a two cancer survivor and that you had a horrible prognosis and yet, here you are years later, living life large and relishing each moment. How inspirational is that. I hope that every newbie gets encouragement from knowing that though the journey can be long and hard and sometimes, more than I like to see, we loss someone we care about but that there are also so many that are alive and thriving. Continue to thrive and share your joyful life my friend.
    Stef

Thank you for the kind words, dearheart!
    With so much struggle going on with many of my sisters here, I sometimes wonder if I should post with such joy. But then I get reassurance from you and others, thank you!

I have only seen the 11 cities race once, and only on TV...'De laatste Elfstedentocht werd verreden op 4 januari 1997' (the last 11 cities race was run on January 4, 1997). We were here visiting my beau's parents, and the entire country was glued to their TV sets. It lasts all day, and coverage starts before it...it is a VERY grueling race...many, many miles (kilometers) long.

Dutch knuffels, Kathi