Need advice about adriamycin

Options
lucy50
lucy50 Member Posts: 5
I am 74 1/2 years old and i have been advised to take ACT (Adriamycin/Cytoxin/Taxol). Has anyone my age had this treatment. I am worried about the Adriamycin, in particular, cardiac toxicity.

I would appreciate your input.
Thanks

Comments

• Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    I did 6 rounds of TAC
    I did 6 rounds of TAC (Taxotere, in my case) a little over a year ago. I was 48 at dx. At the time, my onc said that we could split it up and do the AC cycles first, followed by the T cycles. But based on my dx (triple neg IBC), I wanted to be as aggressive as possible.

I had a MUGA scan and an EKG for my heart before starting the meds. If your doc isn't suggesting one, I think you should ask. Having the results of the scans made it easier for me to accept the risks involved with the adriamycin.

I won't lie and say the TAC is easy, but it is doable. All of the side effects I had were manageable. The worst part for me was the few days after each treatment...I was on so many meds everything was 'foggy' and I was able to do very little. I would get stronger and stronger each day, until it was time for the next cycle. Again, it wasn't fun, but it was doable.

I hope this helps.

Hugs,

Linda
  • AngieD
    AngieD Member Posts: 493
    Options

I did 6 rounds of TAC
    I did 6 rounds of TAC (Taxotere, in my case) a little over a year ago. I was 48 at dx. At the time, my onc said that we could split it up and do the AC cycles first, followed by the T cycles. But based on my dx (triple neg IBC), I wanted to be as aggressive as possible.

I had a MUGA scan and an EKG for my heart before starting the meds. If your doc isn't suggesting one, I think you should ask. Having the results of the scans made it easier for me to accept the risks involved with the adriamycin.

I won't lie and say the TAC is easy, but it is doable. All of the side effects I had were manageable. The worst part for me was the few days after each treatment...I was on so many meds everything was 'foggy' and I was able to do very little. I would get stronger and stronger each day, until it was time for the next cycle. Again, it wasn't fun, but it was doable.

I hope this helps.

Hugs,

Linda

I'm 69 1/2 and was diagnosed
    I'm 69 1/2 and was diagnosed the end of December with triple negative IDC. I have had 2 treatments of Adriamycin and Cytoxan 2 weeks apart with the 2nd one last Tuesday. I'll have 4 rounds of A/C then Taxol weekly for 12 weeks, 3 weeks rest, surgery, then 6 weeks of daily radiation. My doc required I have a Mugascan before starting the Adriamycin, and I would definitely insist on one. My result was good and they said it would be the baseline, so maybe they will be checking it again later So far, the treatment has gone well. There are a lot of medications given to prevent side effects, but, of course, everyone is different. For me, the 3rd and 4th days after chemo, have been the worst for just feeling really tired. I haven't had any other problems. My hair started going 2 days after the 2nd treatment, so I had it mostly all clipped off. Good luck!
    Angie
  • suedrink
    suedrink Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Adriamycin
    In 2009, when I was 65, I received 4 cycles of Taxotere, Cytoxan and Adriamycin. I did not have the last 2 cycles since I developed lung disease (not permanent). I was exhausted, had GI problems until I learned to treat them, and then very short of breath after the 4th cycle. It really shrunk the breast cancer. I did not have any cadiac problems. I have history of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or any other cardiac issues.
    After a double mastectomy and 40 days of radiation I had 8 cycles of Carpboplatin, Avastin, and Gemzar that went into March of 2010. I am doing very well now with low tumor markers and clear Pet scans.
    Sue
  • GrammyKaren
    GrammyKaren Member Posts: 96
    Options
    suedrink said:

Adriamycin
    In 2009, when I was 65, I received 4 cycles of Taxotere, Cytoxan and Adriamycin. I did not have the last 2 cycles since I developed lung disease (not permanent). I was exhausted, had GI problems until I learned to treat them, and then very short of breath after the 4th cycle. It really shrunk the breast cancer. I did not have any cadiac problems. I have history of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or any other cardiac issues.
    After a double mastectomy and 40 days of radiation I had 8 cycles of Carpboplatin, Avastin, and Gemzar that went into March of 2010. I am doing very well now with low tumor markers and clear Pet scans.
    Sue

its a powerful cocktail
    Did you get a second opinion on this by chance? I had it when I was 59 and by the taxol time I stopped with 2 cycles left to go . How are your muga scan numbers and ekg? Those would tell your onc. How is your constitution? Are you active? Then you can do this !!

Lots of water and line your stomach with breakfast before you have port infusion.

Best wishes and Good Luck to you,
    Karen
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options

its a powerful cocktail
    Did you get a second opinion on this by chance? I had it when I was 59 and by the taxol time I stopped with 2 cycles left to go . How are your muga scan numbers and ekg? Those would tell your onc. How is your constitution? Are you active? Then you can do this !!

Lots of water and line your stomach with breakfast before you have port infusion.

Best wishes and Good Luck to you,
    Karen

Just
    wanted to wish you luck with your treatment. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers

Hugs Debi
  • smbrand158
    smbrand158 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    I just finished 4 A/C txts
    I just finished 4 A/C txts and have had 1 of the 4 taxol txts that are planned. Both had their side affects and from what I read, for each person it can be different.

The A/C intensified my sense of smell and left a horrible taste in my mouth that I described as similar to the what the inside of my stomach must taste like. I also had some nausea and was very lethargic on day 2 & 3 after treatment. So far I have very achey legs, feet and lower back with the taxol, which makes sleeping difficult. I don't notice the aches if I keep moving and busy, but only at night once I am sedentary for the evening, or in bed. Ibuprofen PM helps me sleep, but it 's not a sound sleep. I have been keeping up with regular ibuprofen during the day. Today is day 6 after txt and I think that the aches are better. The other annoying side affect's are that my eyes and nose are very runny, and of course the hair loss. So far my heart is healthy. I have great bp's and a low pulse when it is checked before each treatment, even after climbing 2 flights of stairs to the cancer treatment office.

I am a bit younger than you (54 next month), and was physically very fit and healthy BC. I have been able to keep up with my part time/flex time work schedule during treatments, and I try to get some form of exercise daily, whether it be a pilates or yoga class, a walk or another form of cardio or weight training. Taking it easy and giving myself a break while in treatment has been a learning process, and not easy for me. I am usually the type to hit the gym every day, I belong to a few social and volunteer groups that I like to attend to, and I generally have more than one project going on in my home. I have had to decide that this will be a year that I do less.

Good luck.