I would like your advice please...

Options
Gabe N Abby Mom
Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
Hi everyone,

I'm loosing my eyelashes again...sigh. The first time I lost them, I didn't really care since I was off work. But this time I am working, and with the general public. So I am considering false lashes...I haven't decided yet. So I would love to hear any stories or advice you might have.

I've checked the utube videos on how to apply them, but the ones I found are for people who still have lashes.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hugs,

linda

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Look Good Feel Better is a start.
    My suggestion would be to call the ACS or your Breast Cancer Navigator at your Center to find out who does the Look Good Feel Better classes (Some areas have more than one person who does them) and ask for help. I know when I was going through Chemo and took the class the person doing it told us if we wanted help with doing false eyelashes to call her at her Salon and she'd teach how to do them. I never worried about them - only lost about 1/2 on A/C but rest on Taxol, but then I wasn't in the work world.

Susan
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

Look Good Feel Better is a start.
    My suggestion would be to call the ACS or your Breast Cancer Navigator at your Center to find out who does the Look Good Feel Better classes (Some areas have more than one person who does them) and ask for help. I know when I was going through Chemo and took the class the person doing it told us if we wanted help with doing false eyelashes to call her at her Salon and she'd teach how to do them. I never worried about them - only lost about 1/2 on A/C but rest on Taxol, but then I wasn't in the work world.

Susan

I tried them...
    I bought about 6 pairs when my eyelashes fell out...I never could get them to stay on....I reasoned it was because there were no lashes to hold them up! I took the Look Good Feel Better class when was going through this....false eyelashes weren't covered..I may sign up again..

How are you feeling? If I recall, you've gone off the Zeloda????? What is your chemo cocktail now? I See my on oncologist in Feb. 14...don't know what to expect....had PET and CT scans in late Nov....could have been better, could have been worse...he is fighting to get me on Avastin.. We'll see...I, too, am triple negative with recurrence....

I hope you're doing well...wishing you the best...
    Hugs, Nancy
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Options
    Eyelashes, brows
    Am sending you a PM

Jennifer
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    grams2jc said:

Eyelashes, brows
    Am sending you a PM

Jennifer

Hi Linda
    I can relate to your wanting to have eyelashes. I felt I tolerated my head hair loss better than the eyelash/eyebrow loss. At least with a bald head there are wigs/groovy scarves. But with no eyelashes or eyebrows I really felt like I looked like a "cancer patient." I tried eyebrow pencils and eyeliners but it didn't look natural. I never tried fake lashes, but I can see how there could be trouble keeping them on with no other lashes to hold onto.

As I am again facing chemo, I'm interested to see if you get any good advice on this. Good luck in your quest--but we already know, you're beautiful anyway!

Hugs, Renee
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    missrenee said:

Hi Linda
    I can relate to your wanting to have eyelashes. I felt I tolerated my head hair loss better than the eyelash/eyebrow loss. At least with a bald head there are wigs/groovy scarves. But with no eyelashes or eyebrows I really felt like I looked like a "cancer patient." I tried eyebrow pencils and eyeliners but it didn't look natural. I never tried fake lashes, but I can see how there could be trouble keeping them on with no other lashes to hold onto.

As I am again facing chemo, I'm interested to see if you get any good advice on this. Good luck in your quest--but we already know, you're beautiful anyway!

Hugs, Renee

Double Whammy says she's the expert...:-)
    Linda,

On madsters1's recent thread "again with the hair loss," Suzanne (Double Whammy) mentioned that she got really good with false eyelashes....If she doesn't see this thread, you might PM her, as I know she'd be glad to share her expertise with you.

(I think we need a YouTube video from you, Suzanne!)

:-) Traci
  • Melaniedoingwell
    Melaniedoingwell Member Posts: 80
    Options
    eyelashes
    I went to the Look Good, Feel Better program specifically because I wanted to use false eyelashes.

The leader told me you can't use false eyelashes when you don't have your own eyelashes to support them!!

bummer, I know!
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Eyes
    Hi Linda,

I lost my lashes twice during both chemo's myself. They have never come back all the way but I always used eyeliner to make it appear I had them. I use Estee Lauder Duo Pencil for eyeliner. I eyeline the inner eyelids both upper and lower. No one has ever asked me where my lashes are.

Love, Terry
  • Rague
    Options

eyelashes
    I went to the Look Good, Feel Better program specifically because I wanted to use false eyelashes.

The leader told me you can't use false eyelashes when you don't have your own eyelashes to support them!!

bummer, I know!

Was told it's doable
    The hairdresser that did the classes I went to (went twice) said it is doable. The CCI I went to has them often and you are welcome to come as often as you want - you only get the bag of goodies once though. She said it's quite doable but there is not time in the class to teach how so for anyone interested to make an appt with her at her Salon and she'd teach you personally (No - she's not trying to make money off of Chemo women - does not charge. She also has a lot of wigs to give out). When you call for the appt, she will give you the name(s) of the lashes and where to find them locally that she's found work best and the ones that don't at all.

Susan
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    mom62 said:

Eyes
    Hi Linda,

I lost my lashes twice during both chemo's myself. They have never come back all the way but I always used eyeliner to make it appear I had them. I use Estee Lauder Duo Pencil for eyeliner. I eyeline the inner eyelids both upper and lower. No one has ever asked me where my lashes are.

Love, Terry

almost lost them twice
    and continue loosing it. I do not think about it every day, however I suppose to attend a cocktail party next Thursday and it make me sad. I have an allergy, so I cannot use pencil on regular basis. I am highly interested in the topic and advice from experienced with this problem
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options

almost lost them twice
    and continue loosing it. I do not think about it every day, however I suppose to attend a cocktail party next Thursday and it make me sad. I have an allergy, so I cannot use pencil on regular basis. I am highly interested in the topic and advice from experienced with this problem

It's so doable!
    I got my first set from an Ulta store and paid one of the hairdressers ($10) to put them on me and show me how to do it. I found that if I put on liner first, I had a line to follow to place them. If necessary, I'd touch up the liner, but it usually wasn't necessary. I also found that using a Q-tip to position them before the glue dried really worked well. I did have problems sometimes, but I really felt good with eyelashes. I loved wearing them and have considered wearing them now, too, since I don't have all my lashes and what I have are puny, but what I have seems to be ok with lots of mascara.

Linda, I'll help you if you have problems. It takes a little practice - and yes, sometimes I'd lose one. The number on the lashes I purchased is 110, they're really nice and natural looking. Target, CVS, Ulta, everyplace has them and they even go on sale sometimes. I also always purchased more than one set at a time. After a while, the glue becomes difficult to remove.

Remember, permanent makeup is also a great investment, but it is quite an investment. I wish I'd done the permanent makeup years ago. My friend just had it done and she's still on chemo, but be sure to ask your oncologist before getting tatooed.

And remember, even women who aren't cancer patients wear this paraphenalia. It's called vanity.

Suzanne
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Options
    MAJW said:

I tried them...
    I bought about 6 pairs when my eyelashes fell out...I never could get them to stay on....I reasoned it was because there were no lashes to hold them up! I took the Look Good Feel Better class when was going through this....false eyelashes weren't covered..I may sign up again..

How are you feeling? If I recall, you've gone off the Zeloda????? What is your chemo cocktail now? I See my on oncologist in Feb. 14...don't know what to expect....had PET and CT scans in late Nov....could have been better, could have been worse...he is fighting to get me on Avastin.. We'll see...I, too, am triple negative with recurrence....

I hope you're doing well...wishing you the best...
    Hugs, Nancy

Nancy thank you for asking.
    Nancy thank you for asking. You're right, I'm off Zeloda. It wasn't working for me. I'm on Abraxane...3 weeks on, one week off. Overall, I'm doing pretty good. Fatigue is the biggest issue, still no nausea and very little diarrhea. I just saw the onc on Friday, we're going to do one more cycle then another CT scan to confirm the abraxane is working. He's hoping that it will work well enough to lower the dose a little and hopefully reduce the side effects while still being effective.

And who picked valentines day for your onc visit?...just not what I picture as a great way to celebrate romance. Regardless, I hope he says that the Avastin has been approved, and that the cancer is not spreading. I follow your posts closely, because of the triple neg and because you have set a great example in how to handle mets with grace and courage.

wishing you the best too..

hugs,

Linda
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Options

It's so doable!
    I got my first set from an Ulta store and paid one of the hairdressers ($10) to put them on me and show me how to do it. I found that if I put on liner first, I had a line to follow to place them. If necessary, I'd touch up the liner, but it usually wasn't necessary. I also found that using a Q-tip to position them before the glue dried really worked well. I did have problems sometimes, but I really felt good with eyelashes. I loved wearing them and have considered wearing them now, too, since I don't have all my lashes and what I have are puny, but what I have seems to be ok with lots of mascara.

Linda, I'll help you if you have problems. It takes a little practice - and yes, sometimes I'd lose one. The number on the lashes I purchased is 110, they're really nice and natural looking. Target, CVS, Ulta, everyplace has them and they even go on sale sometimes. I also always purchased more than one set at a time. After a while, the glue becomes difficult to remove.

Remember, permanent makeup is also a great investment, but it is quite an investment. I wish I'd done the permanent makeup years ago. My friend just had it done and she's still on chemo, but be sure to ask your oncologist before getting tatooed.

And remember, even women who aren't cancer patients wear this paraphenalia. It's called vanity.

Suzanne

Suzanne, I knew I could
    Suzanne, I knew I could count on you for great advice here. I like the idea of having a line to follow...I'm ready to go try it now! Or we may have to schedule lunch and a trip to Ulta...

Hugs,

Linda
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Options
    Rague said:

Was told it's doable
    The hairdresser that did the classes I went to (went twice) said it is doable. The CCI I went to has them often and you are welcome to come as often as you want - you only get the bag of goodies once though. She said it's quite doable but there is not time in the class to teach how so for anyone interested to make an appt with her at her Salon and she'd teach you personally (No - she's not trying to make money off of Chemo women - does not charge. She also has a lot of wigs to give out). When you call for the appt, she will give you the name(s) of the lashes and where to find them locally that she's found work best and the ones that don't at all.

Susan

I did the look good feel
    I did the look good feel better class about a year ago, and sadly was disappointed. It was not run by someone with a salon...maybe that's the difference.

Hugs,

Linda
  • AngieD
    AngieD Member Posts: 493
    Options

Suzanne, I knew I could
    Suzanne, I knew I could count on you for great advice here. I like the idea of having a line to follow...I'm ready to go try it now! Or we may have to schedule lunch and a trip to Ulta...

Hugs,

Linda

When I was having all my
    When I was having all my initial scans done, there was a place on the MRI form that asked about permanent makeup and said it could cause problems.
    Angie
  • Mitzi333
    Mitzi333 Member Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    AngieD said:

When I was having all my
    When I was having all my initial scans done, there was a place on the MRI form that asked about permanent makeup and said it could cause problems.
    Angie

I tired false eyelashes and...
    got pretty good putting them on. Once I finished all the chemo, my lashes were gone and very slow to grow back. I took my time working with the lashes and got it right... some days better than others. I used a tooth pick to help line them up and a Very thin layer of glue. I used a #3 and #4 Kiss lashes... inexpensive and natural looking. I started by laying them across the lash line, folding them (to round them out) a few times, and then applied a thin layer of glue. Also make sure you allow yourself enough time to work with them, because at first it can be frustrating.

Now I no longer wear them, I'm allowing them to grow back. I'm also trying out latisse. It appears to be working...

Good luck with the lashes... you'll enjoy them once you get the hang of working with them... just allow yourself enough time to experiment.

{{{Hugs}}}
    Mitzi
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    A novel idea....
    Why not invest in a nice-looking pair of non-perscription (clear) glasses? It would cover the lack of lashes, but still keep seeing well, and there are many VERY low priced pairs that have style.

I needed glasses finally (after years of magnifying 'readers'), and noticed that my eyes don't stand out as much. My frames are a pretty, soft violet color...VERY stylish!!!

Dutch knuffels, Kathi
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options

It's so doable!

Suzanne

I have tried the false eyelashes
    but didn't do so well. Like Renee said, did not have a problem losing the hair, but did losing the eyelashes. Tried false, but glued the top to the bottom, think I need to go somewhere so they can teach me. The gal who did lgfb class was good at makeup but did not get into the eyelashes, she said to use eyeliner and shadows. Now with this chemo, I have some eyelashes back but they are so thin. I would go and get tatoo'd but am afraid of an infection.

One thing I did get is facial hair which I never had before. Sometimes I feel like I need to shave my face (I am sure it is the steroids). My sister said to go and get my whole face waxed. Has anyone run into this?
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    KathiM said:

A novel idea....
    Why not invest in a nice-looking pair of non-perscription (clear) glasses? It would cover the lack of lashes, but still keep seeing well, and there are many VERY low priced pairs that have style.

I needed glasses finally (after years of magnifying 'readers'), and noticed that my eyes don't stand out as much. My frames are a pretty, soft violet color...VERY stylish!!!

Dutch knuffels, Kathi

I am known to many family and friends -- as
    Za Za Gabor -- with regards to my make up, matching outfits with purses, shoes,
    jewerly etc ...
    So when I lost my eyelashes during chemo .. I tried everything. I did not master
    the false eyelashes .. !! Getting the glue on my upper lid --in my eyes (not fun -
    especially since my eyes constantly water during my entire chemo series of - 1 year
    even with Herceptin.

Kathi M .. is so right .. what helped me ... is wearing inexpensive colored non-
    prescription eyeglasses - found at Claire's and other inexpensive accessories stores.

Best of luck to you Linda - whether you choose the lashes, or fashion savvy non -
    prescription eye glasses.

Vicki Sam
  • Rague
    Options
    Totally OT - well to a degree
    AND I really hope I don't offend - I do not mean to and apoligize if I do!

When I think of 'permanent eye liner' (tattoo) - I think of Pintos/Paints (white headed horses with pink skin around eyes - some Apps too). They often have issues with skin cancer or pre-cancerous lesions in the pink skin around eyes. It is not unusual to tatoo the area as according to what I've been told the color put in the skin by the tatoo helps prevent reoccurances. I've never had issues with my Apps but know several who have twith their Pintos/Paints/pintos/paints. Horses with 'Ladies of the Night' eye make-up.

Susan.