I think i made a decision

Options
I just had my fourth abdominal surgery for colon cancer this past December. I had my CT scan last week and I'm going to see my oncologist this week. I was told they got all the cancer that they could see during the surgery. I have had chemo for 1 1/2 years. Im thinking that if the scans are clean, I'm going to do the wait and see approach. I think my body, mind and family need a little break from the constant of chemo. Does anyone have any input or thoughts on this? Just looking for encourage or discouragement.

Thanks.

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    "6 One Way - 1/2 Dozen the Other..."
    Hi Sherry

I think that this is the BIGGEST decision that all of us wrestle with us in our fights. And the problem is that none of us, our medical team included, can absolutely, emphatically tell us one way or the other which is the right way to go.

I can already see the onc coming back with "6-months of chemo."

Here's the thing to consider though, Sherry. If the surgeon got clear margins and nothing 'visible' shows up on the scan...you could make the argument that you want to hold on chemo for awhile. It would be neither right or wrong.

Or, you could decide to do the chemo if the doc orders it...or recuperate for a spell and then begin the regime. It would be neither right or wrong.

I see alot of us throwing around that term "mopping up." I dislike that term. If you're doing chemo, there is no mop-up, because systemically the cancer flows through our bodies. Swishing around some chemo in hopes of knocking down down some rogue cells is like trying to find a needle in the haystick - it's a hit and miss approach at best.

And the thing with you, is that you've been doing chemo regularly for a while, so this would be tough on you. You could rationalize that you will give it all now...but the thing is that 'recurrence' can strike us, no matter if we do the chemo or not. That's why I don't like the term mop-up...we're not mopping up anything...mopping up is a spill...you see the spill and you mop it up.

But with chemo, we can't see it...and if the cells are small enough that our current scanners cannot detect a visible tumor or mass...then continuous chemo can do more than make us sick.

I sat down with my onc last year on this very tough topic to discuss chemo and its role in our fights. The conclusion was that continual administration of chemo (without a visible tumor mass) can actually 'desensitize' our cells to the chemo's effectiveness and the more we take over time, the more resistant our cancer cells can become as they adapt to the chemo and being not to work after awhile...or stop completely altogether.

My onc feels like because we have so few chemical options available, he prefers to use the Big Guns when the enemy is in site - rather than bombarding more with chemo. Once we lose Folfox or Folfiri, we are down to 5fu - and if we're KRAS Wild, we are elibible for Erbitux or Vecitibix. After that...things get a little more serious.

So, I can understand the need to use the big stuff to fight physical tumors instead of using them as chasers to try and hit a constantly moving target. I've had cancer 3x now and despite diet, exercise, supplements, anti-oxidants....surgery, chemo, and radiation, I've always recurred.

When I was early on in my battle, I said "throw the kitchen sink" at it - and let's play for Today, because I might not be here tomorrow.

Having cancer 3x has now softened my approach as I'm now seeing the bigger picture of what I face...so If I lose the choice of one of the bigger players - that is going to dictate my choices and ultimately my outcome.

Though, I often wonder if anything I do will ever 'cure.' After 7.7 years, I don't know if that is still reasonable for me to think that. If I recur again, I'll know the answer to that question.

So, you can see, how there is never any 'single answer to cancer', despite our best efforts. There is just no one way to know what is right to do.

I hope this gives you another perspective to consider...I wish I knew something more concrete to tell you.

I would say that if you can garner a break in the chemo - that will do alot of good for you physically, mentally, and emotionally. You'll be getting scanned reguarly, so if another mass does pop up, you'll know what you have to do.

Talk to your onc - weigh the benefits vs risks - and ultimately go with that voice in your head. Most of the time our gut instincts are not wrong.

Wishing you the best!

-Craig
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    What to Do?
    Well, I've been on chemo 8 years next month and had my last RFA last December.. As I'm sure you know, it only takes one rogue cell to have it come back. I do have a few nodes in my lungs that are shrinking. I have had a few breaks here and there and they helped my spirit a lot but I'm not at the point of stopping chemo. I've also incorporated juicing into my diet. I do think it's important to watch our diet.

The thing with stopping chemo and the wait and see approach is are you OK if you stop chemo and it comes back?
    There are pros and cons as I'm sure you know.
    -phil
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Sherrylee -

Re:
    "I think my body, mind and family need a little break from the
    constant of chemo. Does anyone have any input or thoughts on this? "

I'm a firm believer in following one's instinct and intuition. We were
    all given the unique ability to survive against all odds; the unique
    ability of self-survival. It's when we disregard that inner voice,
    that we run into serious problems.

If your body is telling you it needs a break, listen to it.

While you're taking this sabbatical, it would be a great time for
    you to read and explore the alternatives available. It never hurts
    to build your immune system up!

I'm an advocate for Traditional Chinese Medicine, and you
    can read about TCM at my personal page, in the blog section.

There's no reason to spend thousands of dollars for hyped-up
    products claiming to "cure". TCM has been around for nearly
    4 thousand years, and has served billions upon billions of humans
    very well for all of that time. It continues to be used to this very
    day, with the same good results. It's worth some study!!

But above all, listen to your inner voice, it doesn't lie.

Those seeking profits by selling "good health products" in their
    effort to feed their family, may lie.... but your inner self is there
    for you alone.

Best wishes for better health!

John
  • rlridings
    rlridings Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Sundanceh said:

Hi Sherry

I think that this is the BIGGEST decision that all of us wrestle with us in our fights. And the problem is that none of us, our medical team included, can absolutely, emphatically tell us one way or the other which is the right way to go.

Here's the thing to consider though, Sherry. If the surgeon got clear margins and nothing 'visible' shows up on the scan...you could make the argument that you want to hold on chemo for awhile. It would be neither right or wrong.

Or, you could decide to do the chemo if the doc orders it...or recuperate for a spell and then begin the regime. It would be neither right or wrong.

I see alot of us throwing around that term "mopping up." I dislike that term. If you're doing chemo, there is no mop-up, because systemically the cancer flows through our bodies. Swishing around some chemo in hopes of knocking down down some rogue cells is like trying to find a needle in the haystick - it's a hit and miss approach at best.

And the thing with you, is that you've been doing chemo regularly for a while, so this would be tough on you. You could rationalize that you will give it all now...but the thing is that 'recurrence' can strike us, no matter if we do the chemo or not. That's why I don't like the term mop-up...we're not mopping up anything...mopping up is a spill...you see the spill and you mop it up.

But with chemo, we can't see it...and if the cells are small enough that our current scanners cannot detect a visible tumor or mass...then continuous chemo can do more than make us sick.

I sat down with my onc last year on this very tough topic to discuss chemo and its role in our fights. The conclusion was that continual administration of chemo (without a visible tumor mass) can actually 'desensitize' our cells to the chemo's effectiveness and the more we take over time, the more resistant our cancer cells can become as they adapt to the chemo and being not to work after awhile...or stop completely altogether.

My onc feels like because we have so few chemical options available, he prefers to use the Big Guns when the enemy is in site - rather than bombarding more with chemo. Once we lose Folfox or Folfiri, we are down to 5fu - and if we're KRAS Wild, we are elibible for Erbitux or Vecitibix. After that...things get a little more serious.

So, I can understand the need to use the big stuff to fight physical tumors instead of using them as chasers to try and hit a constantly moving target. I've had cancer 3x now and despite diet, exercise, supplements, anti-oxidants....surgery, chemo, and radiation, I've always recurred.

When I was early on in my battle, I said "throw the kitchen sink" at it - and let's play for Today, because I might not be here tomorrow.

Having cancer 3x has now softened my approach as I'm now seeing the bigger picture of what I face...so If I lose the choice of one of the bigger players - that is going to dictate my choices and ultimately my outcome.

Though, I often wonder if anything I do will ever 'cure.' After 7.7 years, I don't know if that is still reasonable for me to think that. If I recur again, I'll know the answer to that question.

So, you can see, how there is never any 'single answer to cancer', despite our best efforts. There is just no one way to know what is right to do.

I hope this gives you another perspective to consider...I wish I knew something more concrete to tell you.

I would say that if you can garner a break in the chemo - that will do alot of good for you physically, mentally, and emotionally. You'll be getting scanned reguarly, so if another mass does pop up, you'll know what you have to do.

Talk to your onc - weigh the benefits vs risks - and ultimately go with that voice in your head. Most of the time our gut instincts are not wrong.

Wishing you the best!

-Craig

chemo sensitivity
    first time I had heard the issue of the body getting used to chemo - but it makes sense - jut like anti-biotics - too much use and the body stops reacting
  • janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I too just had my fourth
    I too just had my fourth abdominal surgery in December. The docs told me they got everything that they could see. My onc said he is on the fence about doing chemo again and it was my decision. I decided to do it again since it has been 4 years since my last treatment. 4 years ago I elected to stop treatment after 10 of 12 rounds. I was at peace with my decision them and I am still at peace with it after this recurrence. I am not going to say what I think you should do one way or the other. What I will say is make sure you are at peace with yourself no matter what you decide. We cancer survivors should not harbor any regrets.
  • janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Sundanceh said:

Hi Sherry

Wishing you the best!

-Craig

Another great post Craig. I
    Another great post Craig. I chose to do chemo again for a while even though there is no visible cancer. That is what I hate most about this disease is the uncertainty. The fact that nobody including the "Experts" can tell you with any certainty what to do. THat is where cancer can really get inside of your head. It amazes me that with all of this technology going crazy with computers, smart phones, etc. they cant come up with a scan that can pick up cancer on a cellular level. I think a scanner that can save millions of lives each year is a lot more important the modern convienences that are making it to where we don't have to think any more.
  • annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth-
    I'm doing the same thing. Have tried two different chemos without results, so now am strictly a surgery patient. I've had five surgeries (four colon resections, hysterectomy/removal of tumor in abdominal cavity) in the last two years. The plan is to do three month PETs for a while, throw in surgeries as needed. I recently read an article that profiled a woman who had survived almost twenty years after a dx of stage 4 cancer (something gynecological-can't remember), without doing any chemo at all, she just has surgery about once a year. Not an ideal way to live, but I'm thinking I'd be willing to give it a shot, if it meant seeing my youngest child into adulthood! Good luck with the decision making process, I'm sure you'll make the choice that is best for you. Ann
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

For what it's worth-
    I'm doing the same thing. Have tried two different chemos without results, so now am strictly a surgery patient. I've had five surgeries (four colon resections, hysterectomy/removal of tumor in abdominal cavity) in the last two years. The plan is to do three month PETs for a while, throw in surgeries as needed. I recently read an article that profiled a woman who had survived almost twenty years after a dx of stage 4 cancer (something gynecological-can't remember), without doing any chemo at all, she just has surgery about once a year. Not an ideal way to live, but I'm thinking I'd be willing to give it a shot, if it meant seeing my youngest child into adulthood! Good luck with the decision making process, I'm sure you'll make the choice that is best for you. Ann

In Oct. my onc. asked me if
    In Oct. my onc. asked me if I wanted a short break, he was thinking in terms of two to three weeks, I said three months, I wanted to wait till after next scan. Scan came and went with no progression, he couldn't really see anything to throw chemo. at so now no chemo till my next scan in March....it's just waite and see scan to scan. BTW, Craig great post. It even seems that with Avastin and such the cancer cells seem to build up a defense to those too after about a year or two.