Monthly Doctors Visit

Options
2»

Comments

• ManWithaMission
    ManWithaMission Member Posts: 497
    Options

Not gonna do it! (You're
    Not gonna do it! (You're supposed to hear George Bush in your head.) I can't berate you. You did what felt right at the time. I find it unusual and a little scary that Donna met two men with breast cancer...I thought it is not supposed to be that common. I hope we see her here too.

Congrats on no scans!! That sounds like good news to me!

Hugs,

Linda

I'm gonna do it!
    You've got to work on that George Bush impersonation,didn't quite get the voice right. LOL. It seems to me,since I've started this journey, that Male Breast Cancer is more common than we're let on to be. Almost everyone I've talked to about this has someone personally or knows someone who has had it. My onco stated once that she is treating at least 5 men with breast cancer just here in Polocksville,NC. Then there is the Leo Jenkins Cancer center in Greenville,NC in Pitt County. Who knows how many men they have there with breast cancer? Makes you wonder?

Hugs & prayers,Robert
  • ManWithaMission
    Options
    SIROD said:

To Robert
    I have been reading yours very positive posts for a long time and enjoy reading them.

I have been reading and participating in online forums, discussion boards since 1997. In those years, there always have been men on these boards with breast cancer, some with stage IV too.

There should be a mention each October that Men and young women can have this disease, no one is exempt. These facts should be in every doctors office.

I wish you well on this journey,

Doris

Positive-ity is very Positive
    Thank you,Doris,for thinking that my post are positive. It took me a very longtime to think this way. At first I could only see all the people who lost their fight to this "beast". I keep thinking,"When is it going to be my turn?" Then one day in Church, I really started listening to the Pastor and thought that God was talking to me and He filled my heart with so much LOVE that nothing else mattered anymore.

I also think that there should be BIG posters in every doctors office that no one,young or old;men or women,are immune from this disease!

Robert
  • ManWithaMission
    Options
    roseann4 said:

Great news!
    Too bad more men don't go online for help and support. We know there are other men out there. It would be wonderful for you to communicate with other men going through what society has labeled a women's cancer. Not true! My husband's grandfather had it over 30 years ago.

So happy to hear the good news.

Roseann

Not just for Women anymore
    I totally agree with you,Roseann. I DON'T KNOW WHY MORE MEN DON'T GET TOGETHER TO TALK ABOUT BREAST CANCER???? I think that it might have something to do with them being too embarrassed about having a "women's disease." I was very embarrassed about telling someone of it for the first couple of months. I thought,"breast cancer"..., how about "Prostate Cancer", now that's a real mans disease! Laughing Out Loud!!! Yes, I am /was that shallow.

There is one website,www.MaleBreastCancer.org, that was started my someone's daughter for her father named "Nick" after he died from it. They really don't have much interaction with other survivors at all it seems. There are no forums,chat rooms or discussion boards anywhere dealing with Male Breast Cancer Survivors. All they want you to do is "GIVE" money. Maybe I "should donate" money with the stipulation that they start a discussion board or chat room?

Robert
  • ManWithaMission
    Options
    camul said:

Hi Robert
    I just love how open you are about your cancer. I too think that we all need to be more aware of how many more men are being diagnosed with advanced bc. I was watching a news station from Florida on-line where one of the health reporters has breast cancer, but what stood out was a link about a 10 year old girl with breast cancer, diagnosed with stage 3. Couldn't even imagine being her parent, very scary.

Don't berate yourself. I am a woman and I will be talking to someone with cancer and when I walk away, I always think of what else I could have said or done to help ease their fears.

You are such a support and asset on this board, and so happy that the markers are good.

Prayers to you,
    Carol

Me berate myself?
    Carol, what could have given you that impression? LOL. Oh yea, it was me. HEHEHE I was just saying that she,in a round about way, was asking for my address & phone number. She said she should have asked the other guy for it and I don't know why I was embarrassed to give mine to her? That's what I ment by,"you women being able to say what you want and it just going over us mens heads," & berating myself. For NOT giving her my personal information to be able to get in touch with her or vise versa. I didn't even write down this website for her. Just told her to go to,"american cancer society's cancer survivors network." I could just kick myself. That's all.

Hugs & prayers to you also.
    Robert
  • ManWithaMission
    Options
    MAJW said:

Happy News...
    Good news, Robert...no scans until later! I have a neighbor who has a male relative who had his second mastectomy last fall....there needs to be more awareness that men can and do get breast cancer....the bumper stickers are a great idea! We have the pink ribbon, perhaps we need a blue one for men....

How are you doing on the Zometa? I had one infusion in early December...just had to have major dental work...the oral surgeon warned me about the possibility osteonecrosis of the jaw bone due to the Zometa...so my oncologist has put off my infusions until the end of April....makes me leery
    about taking it...time to decide though...

Hugs, Nancy

Zometa
    Well,Nancy, I've been on Zometa for a year now and it just hit me that i do get bone & joint pains for several days after an infusion. I've always thought that it was because I did too much walking afterwards. Dahh, how blond am I.

My onco did tell me something about the dentist and Zometa, but I was in another zone. I think that I told my Dentist that I was on Zometa and he said that they would take it slow with me. So, I've been having dential work done over the last couple of months. I've had 5 cavities filled and 2 cleanings done so far without any side effects. Although, they did say that I've got bleeding gums(gingavitis) and that it is an infection of the gums. They said that brughing more & flossing would take care of that.

Hugs & prayers, Robert
  • ManWithaMission
    Options

Yay!!! That is such great
    Yay!!! That is such great news. I love happy news.

Danny routinely has his "female voice filter" on--as he calls it ;-). He tells me to say, "Pay attention" if it is important...lol. He likes to tinker with his rc planes, clocks, etc and I like to chatter. Sometimes he listens; sometimes not so much :-)

We would love to welcome Donn--and more men! I love to hear all of the different voices and perspectives.

And I love the idea of the bumper stickers.

Voice Filter
    Cynthia, I love Danny's "female voice filter". I think I "filter" many times almost everything my wife says and she always gets so mad at me,because I don't listen to her. It could also be from having "chemo brain" or that I'm a"natural blond". Can you tell from my curly locks? LOL

Robert
  • ManWithaMission
    Options

I agree
    Happy to hear about your good news.Don't worry about not getting all the info you wanted.I do that but I also have people come up in the store and start talking to me.I do community service work for animal welfare so I've seen thousands of people in the last 11 years.Problem is they know my name and start talking.Then I ask Who are your??? I know the name but I don't remember faces. It's very embarrassing.

I agree with you.Men should have mammos and also younger men and women.Just way to many young ladies I know dx in their 20's and 30's.Just talked to a lady whose friend found her bc breast feeding and another young mother found her cancer breast feeding. Just sad and scary. I remember after my first son was born I had 2 benign tumors at 20.My mom was dx with bc at 21.So I believe in early mammos and men should have mammos too.I even ask my husband if he does self exams.I do because a man not far from us was dx soon after his wife.She is doing fine but he passed in a year.His was found when it hurt fastening his seat belt.

Wishing you the best and hope the lady does join us on the Board.

Lynn Smith

Embarrassing,yes. Who Cares!
    Don't be embarrassed about forgetting people's faces,Lynn. I was never very good at remembering people's names or some faces at all.I've had people come up to me in public and start talking to me as if they know me(and I get this look on my face like,"Do I know you?"),but I just continue to talk to them to be courteous. It's not till after they leave that I have to ask,"who are they and where did I meet them?"(unless I'm by myself). Then I find out that they are distant relitives or friends from church. Now I can blame it on "chemo brain" or "old age" and get away with it. Always introduce yourself and never assume I know you from where-ever!

Isn't that the way it always goes, she's diagnoised early because she is looking for it and he finds it,far too late for him,from putting on his seat belt. All Doctors need to be more active in educating men about breast cancer,like thay do for women.

Robert
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

Voice Filter
    Cynthia, I love Danny's "female voice filter". I think I "filter" many times almost everything my wife says and she always gets so mad at me,because I don't listen to her. It could also be from having "chemo brain" or that I'm a"natural blond". Can you tell from my curly locks? LOL

Robert

LOL @ Robert!
    Hugs, Leeza

LOL @ Robert!

Hugs, Leeza
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

Great news Robert on your
    Great news Robert on your Dr.visit.Hugs Frankie

Loving your good news
    Loving your good news Robert!

Hugs, Noel
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Late Congrats.
    I too am late in reading this post. I do not always have net access so at times I get behind. I have 7 brothers and I have triple negative bc. I hope none of them get this as I understand the BCRA2 gene is more likely in men.

Glad to hear you can wait on the scan. Again Congrats.
  • ManWithaMission
    Options

Late Congrats.
    I too am late in reading this post. I do not always have net access so at times I get behind. I have 7 brothers and I have triple negative bc. I hope none of them get this as I understand the BCRA2 gene is more likely in men.

Glad to hear you can wait on the scan. Again Congrats.

7 Brothers
    Laughs_a_lot,The best thing you can do for your brothers is the tell them to do self-breast exams to look for lumps and to see a doctor if they find anything. Don't let their Doctors tell them that it's nothing and they can wait awhile if they do find anything. Get a second opinion for everything! I don't know much about the BCRA2 gene or how likely it is in men,but maybe your brothers should get tested for it as a precaution just in case. Always better to be safe than sorry. I'm very,very lucky that my Breast Cancer didn't kill me as long as I waited to get treatment after I found my lump. Wishing you healthy days in your journey.

Prayers and good thoughts coming your way.
    Robert
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

7 Brothers
    Laughs_a_lot,The best thing you can do for your brothers is the tell them to do self-breast exams to look for lumps and to see a doctor if they find anything. Don't let their Doctors tell them that it's nothing and they can wait awhile if they do find anything. Get a second opinion for everything! I don't know much about the BCRA2 gene or how likely it is in men,but maybe your brothers should get tested for it as a precaution just in case. Always better to be safe than sorry. I'm very,very lucky that my Breast Cancer didn't kill me as long as I waited to get treatment after I found my lump. Wishing you healthy days in your journey.

Prayers and good thoughts coming your way.
    Robert

Robert..
    Here's a little tip the chemo nurse gave me to ward off side effects of Zometa....are you ready? lol. TUMS! I asked as she was about to start my infusion about side effects....flu like symptoms, bone and joint pain,etc....she said " Well, there is something to we've discovered that counteracts those side effects..." I thought, please not another medication or pill! She said it's TUMS! Plain old TUMS...ah the miracles of modern medicine....I had some in my purse...you could carry them in your pocket....a little humor there....She said get them out...take two right then, two after lunch, after dinner and before bedtime....I did and had zero side effects...never knew I had the infusion...so you might want to give it a try....see if it helps in any way....also if I felt I needed them to repeat the next day.

Wishing you the best...oh my tums were extra strength...
    Hugs, Nancy