radiation therapy advice

Options
naomib
naomib Member Posts: 5
hi all. just joined the list. started radiation therapy this week. have completed 3 out of 33 treatments. i am post lumpectomy, relumpectomy, and ACT dense chemo. started tamoxifen 1.5 weeks ago. i am 56 y.o. and was going through menopause when this all started back in june, 2011. would love any advice re: radiation therapy from all you sisters out there. also- any thoughts on joint pain. i seem stiffer than usual. looking forward to hearing from you.
naomi

Comments

• sylvan
    sylvan Member Posts: 66
    Options
    older thread
    There is an older thread around here somewhere that has tons of radiation recommendations. I'll see if I can find it and post the link.
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    Welcome! I did the icky
    Welcome! I did the icky dose dense TAC chemo also, 6 rounds. Then bilateral and 44 rads, I did rads twice a day 6 hours apart. I turned pink right away, but didn't have any issues until the very end. I had a rads rash (if this happens, ask your doc for a prescription) and a little burning. Everything healed nicely though.

Most important with rads is drink lots of water, and follow your docs advice with regard to skin care to the letter.

Someone here advised plain white men's tshirts for clothing while in rads treatment...I practically lived in them. I didn't care if they got messy from the creams/ointments and the cotton allows for lots of air. I did rads a year ago, so I put a jacket or sweater over the t shirt when out in public.

All my best to you.

Hugs,

Linda
  • GrammyKaren
    GrammyKaren Member Posts: 96
    Options

Welcome! I did the icky
    Welcome! I did the icky dose dense TAC chemo also, 6 rounds. Then bilateral and 44 rads, I did rads twice a day 6 hours apart. I turned pink right away, but didn't have any issues until the very end. I had a rads rash (if this happens, ask your doc for a prescription) and a little burning. Everything healed nicely though.

Most important with rads is drink lots of water, and follow your docs advice with regard to skin care to the letter.

Someone here advised plain white men's tshirts for clothing while in rads treatment...I practically lived in them. I didn't care if they got messy from the creams/ointments and the cotton allows for lots of air. I did rads a year ago, so I put a jacket or sweater over the t shirt when out in public.

All my best to you.

Hugs,

Linda

Oh Linda
    thats a harsh regimen....

I used aquafour this last time of 33rads liberally and never got a burn. Used mens tank tops under my sweaters after the second week....no more bra.

Good luck to you and drink tons of water. No supplements or vitamins tho only Vit D3 . Hope u listen as it interferes with treatment.
    Hugs to all of you ,
    Karen
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    I will bump up the thread I
    I will bump up the thread I started with lots of good rads tips for you Naomi.

Best of luck to you!

Sue :)