T and C experiences?

Options
Wendy Joy
Wendy Joy Member Posts: 51
Hi folks, I am going to start on T and C on Feb. 16th and do 4 rounds every 3 weeks. I know everyone's experiences are different, but would love to hear what your experiences with this chemo combo have been. What day did you lose your hair? Other side effects? Looking forward to getting started with this, then radiation and having a healthy and hairy summer:)
Also, any tips on creams or anything to put on surgery incisions? I had an axiliary node bisection and lumpectomy. I saw my breast surgeon yesterday and forgot to ask her if that is something I should think about the reduce the scarring.

Comments

• missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    Hi Wendy
    You've come to the right place--welcome. I had a lumpectomy and axillary node dissection as well. I was on a little different combo (TAC for 6 treatments) but here's what I can tell you I experienced: my hair started coming out in handfuls at exactly day 14 after the first chemo. I decided to just shave it all off right then--my husband and I had a happy hour outside, opened a bottle of wine and shaved it off. I got some beautiful scarves from TLC.com and various stores around town. I also got 2 wigs, but hated wearing them, so it was mostly scarves for me.

My first 4 treatments were not bad at all. The day after chemo I got a Neulasta shot to boost white blood cells. That caused a couple of days of bone and joint pain for which I took Advil. The worst thing about the chemo for me is that it made pretty much all food taste like wallpaper paste. The things I lived on that I could tolerate were Cheerios and milk, white bread and peanut butter and tomato soup. But it was all trial and error and it probably will be for you too. Also, remember everyone has different side effects and experiences--you may not have this. I sort of felt like I had a light case of the flu the first week. Also, the first few days after chemo, I had a diarrhea/constipation combo going on--I never knew which one it would be. But there were good remedies for that as well.

The steroids that are taken the day before chemo, day of and day after made it hard to get a good night's sleep.

I never vomited--just sometimes felt a little queasy for which there are meds for.

I wasn't working through chemo, so I was able to take naps (which I did often). Treatments 5 and 6 were more intense, but once again, I never vomited--just felt queasy and overall yucky.

My oncologist was careful about NOT telling me about all the side effects. Her theory was, why worry about what might never happen. Whatever you happen to get, we'll deal with it. I also found that a positive, fighting spirit helped me tremendously.

Good luck on this journey--it's definitely doable, and you're going to do great.

Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing. We have so many kind, caring and knowledgable people on this board--you will get great info.

Hugs, Renee
  • GMcD
    GMcD Member Posts: 134
    Options
    missrenee said:

Hi Wendy
    You've come to the right place--welcome. I had a lumpectomy and axillary node dissection as well. I was on a little different combo (TAC for 6 treatments) but here's what I can tell you I experienced: my hair started coming out in handfuls at exactly day 14 after the first chemo. I decided to just shave it all off right then--my husband and I had a happy hour outside, opened a bottle of wine and shaved it off. I got some beautiful scarves from TLC.com and various stores around town. I also got 2 wigs, but hated wearing them, so it was mostly scarves for me.

My first 4 treatments were not bad at all. The day after chemo I got a Neulasta shot to boost white blood cells. That caused a couple of days of bone and joint pain for which I took Advil. The worst thing about the chemo for me is that it made pretty much all food taste like wallpaper paste. The things I lived on that I could tolerate were Cheerios and milk, white bread and peanut butter and tomato soup. But it was all trial and error and it probably will be for you too. Also, remember everyone has different side effects and experiences--you may not have this. I sort of felt like I had a light case of the flu the first week. Also, the first few days after chemo, I had a diarrhea/constipation combo going on--I never knew which one it would be. But there were good remedies for that as well.

The steroids that are taken the day before chemo, day of and day after made it hard to get a good night's sleep.

I never vomited--just sometimes felt a little queasy for which there are meds for.

I wasn't working through chemo, so I was able to take naps (which I did often). Treatments 5 and 6 were more intense, but once again, I never vomited--just felt queasy and overall yucky.

My oncologist was careful about NOT telling me about all the side effects. Her theory was, why worry about what might never happen. Whatever you happen to get, we'll deal with it. I also found that a positive, fighting spirit helped me tremendously.

Good luck on this journey--it's definitely doable, and you're going to do great.

Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing. We have so many kind, caring and knowledgable people on this board--you will get great info.

Hugs, Renee

Hi. They say none of us are
    Hi. They say none of us are the same and we aren't but my experience with c/t were exactly as Renee reported her experience to be with her treatment. My cocktail is the same as yours. It is a roller coaster ride but you'll be amazed at how fast it goes. I'm nearly two years past treatment and finally sporting a very thick head of hair. My hair came back quickly so I could ditch the wigs and hats, etc by summer. But it's now losing the very tight curls I had for so long, ( and was grateful for ). Hang in and please visit this site for any and all questions, big or small. Best Wishes.
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    GMcD said:

Hi. They say none of us are
    Hi. They say none of us are the same and we aren't but my experience with c/t were exactly as Renee reported her experience to be with her treatment. My cocktail is the same as yours. It is a roller coaster ride but you'll be amazed at how fast it goes. I'm nearly two years past treatment and finally sporting a very thick head of hair. My hair came back quickly so I could ditch the wigs and hats, etc by summer. But it's now losing the very tight curls I had for so long, ( and was grateful for ). Hang in and please visit this site for any and all questions, big or small. Best Wishes.

I had same protocol
    It's been about 18 months since my chemo ended. I clearly remember saying "this isn't bad at all" and that if I'd had a job to go to I could have done it, at least for the first 3 cycles. I took really good care of myself, walked every day (not far and not long), ate healthy and rested - read, watched TV, napped, etc. I was a princess. My hair left me on Day 14. Days 4, 5, 6 I felt very mildly fluish. I had quite a few side effects as the cycles progressed. I ran a low grade fever every cycle, but it was never over 100.5 - except the last cycle when I developed a "mystery infection". White count was elevated, I was tachycardic, anemic, and hypotensive. They never found the source of the infection, but one day everything just resolved. I also developed a skin toxicity on my arms that got worse each cycle. It didn't hurt, but it was like a burn and for reasons unknown to me, my oncologist seemed concerned about it. My last cycle of chemo was reduced because of it. Still got it, tho. Let's see, I had teary eyes, lack of appetite (part of the time), diarrhea, constipation, weak and shakey a couple of times, and I did have some mild breakthrough nausea but took either Zofran and Ativan.

I know this sounds like a lot, but I honestly never felt awful - except for the last cycle. I had no side effects from the Neulasta shots. Oh, one day I was really cold and so I decided to sit in the sun - for only 10 minutes. I got sunburned. Don't do that!

AFTER chemo my eyelashes and eyebrows fell out. My nails got ridges and pealed. My fingertips are still numb, but they don't effect fine motor skills (I can sew).

Good luck. I was told on a scale of 1 to 10 that this protocol rates a 4. Not bad at all. The side effects I had were mostly frightening and that's why I wanted to tell you about them in case you develop any of them. Most of the side effects they told me about in chemo school never happened. But every side effect I reported was not a surprise to them - they just didn't tell me about them beforehand so I was a little freaked.

You will look back on this and be amazed how quicky it goes and you will be so proud of yourself for getting through it.

Suzanne
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

I had same protocol
    It's been about 18 months since my chemo ended. I clearly remember saying "this isn't bad at all" and that if I'd had a job to go to I could have done it, at least for the first 3 cycles. I took really good care of myself, walked every day (not far and not long), ate healthy and rested - read, watched TV, napped, etc. I was a princess. My hair left me on Day 14. Days 4, 5, 6 I felt very mildly fluish. I had quite a few side effects as the cycles progressed. I ran a low grade fever every cycle, but it was never over 100.5 - except the last cycle when I developed a "mystery infection". White count was elevated, I was tachycardic, anemic, and hypotensive. They never found the source of the infection, but one day everything just resolved. I also developed a skin toxicity on my arms that got worse each cycle. It didn't hurt, but it was like a burn and for reasons unknown to me, my oncologist seemed concerned about it. My last cycle of chemo was reduced because of it. Still got it, tho. Let's see, I had teary eyes, lack of appetite (part of the time), diarrhea, constipation, weak and shakey a couple of times, and I did have some mild breakthrough nausea but took either Zofran and Ativan.

I know this sounds like a lot, but I honestly never felt awful - except for the last cycle. I had no side effects from the Neulasta shots. Oh, one day I was really cold and so I decided to sit in the sun - for only 10 minutes. I got sunburned. Don't do that!

AFTER chemo my eyelashes and eyebrows fell out. My nails got ridges and pealed. My fingertips are still numb, but they don't effect fine motor skills (I can sew).

Good luck. I was told on a scale of 1 to 10 that this protocol rates a 4. Not bad at all. The side effects I had were mostly frightening and that's why I wanted to tell you about them in case you develop any of them. Most of the side effects they told me about in chemo school never happened. But every side effect I reported was not a surprise to them - they just didn't tell me about them beforehand so I was a little freaked.

You will look back on this and be amazed how quicky it goes and you will be so proud of yourself for getting through it.

Suzanne

About the same side effects
    I had basically the same side effects as the other ladies on Taxotere and Cytoxan......I had my hair buzzed before it started falling out on exactly day 14 after the first infusion...it gave me a feeling of having some control...I shaved it off the next day...bald as an eagle!! And I also bought my wig before I had my hair buzzed so they could see what my hair looked like....if you plan on betting a wig, I would recommend getting it while you have your hair...I was amazed at how quickly I became used to being bald....granted I didn't want to be bald....I wore scarves and little 100% cotton caps around the house...you get cold....and my head was very sore and sensitive when it started coming out...stayed that way for about 3 weeks...I lost my eyelashes but not my eyebrows...they just thinned...your eyes will water due to lack of lashes...

Chemo wasn't as bad as I imagined...I think the worst part was walking through the door for the first infusion....fear of the unknown...I religiously took my anti nausea medications...Zofran...I never had the first wave of nausea...my taste buds left me for about a week after each infusion...I experimented with different foods...I did have a bad time 4 days after the first Nuelasta injection...lots of muscle spasms and bone pain....never had this after that...also bad diarrhea after the first infusion....have some extra strength Immodium on hand just in case...constipation can follow....
    Drink drink drink before, during and after chemo.....staying hydrated is really important...Gatorade is good to have on hand...also eat before each infusion....you have to have something in your stomach to avoid nausea...rest when ever possible....let people help you...don't turn down any offers of help...people want to do what they can as they can't do anything about your having cancer....and it will go faster than you think....

I wish you the very best...
    Hugs, Nancy
  • Wendy Joy
    Wendy Joy Member Posts: 51
    Options
    MAJW said:

I had basically the same side effects as the other ladies on Taxotere and Cytoxan......I had my hair buzzed before it started falling out on exactly day 14 after the first infusion...it gave me a feeling of having some control...I shaved it off the next day...bald as an eagle!! And I also bought my wig before I had my hair buzzed so they could see what my hair looked like....if you plan on betting a wig, I would recommend getting it while you have your hair...I was amazed at how quickly I became used to being bald....granted I didn't want to be bald....I wore scarves and little 100% cotton caps around the house...you get cold....and my head was very sore and sensitive when it started coming out...stayed that way for about 3 weeks...I lost my eyelashes but not my eyebrows...they just thinned...your eyes will water due to lack of lashes...

Chemo wasn't as bad as I imagined...I think the worst part was walking through the door for the first infusion....fear of the unknown...I religiously took my anti nausea medications...Zofran...I never had the first wave of nausea...my taste buds left me for about a week after each infusion...I experimented with different foods...I did have a bad time 4 days after the first Nuelasta injection...lots of muscle spasms and bone pain....never had this after that...also bad diarrhea after the first infusion....have some extra strength Immodium on hand just in case...constipation can follow....
    Drink drink drink before, during and after chemo.....staying hydrated is really important...Gatorade is good to have on hand...also eat before each infusion....you have to have something in your stomach to avoid nausea...rest when ever possible....let people help you...don't turn down any offers of help...people want to do what they can as they can't do anything about your having cancer....and it will go faster than you think....

Hugs, Nancy

You all are amazing! I need
    You all are amazing! I need to print this all out and keep it close by during my first treatment. I feel like the worst is over (that first month of diagnosis, waiting for surgery, not knowing). I know I can do this. So appreciate hearing these similar experiences and the suggestions for the medicines to take (immodium, gateraide) anything I can stock up on before hand so I will be prepared is great! I am going to the American Cancer Society on Tuesday to get fitted for a wig and also going to cut my hair into a cute Mia Farrow type pixie cut this weekend. Have always wanted to do that. I will get some caps too! Thank you! Thank you!!!
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    Options
    MAJW said:

Hugs, Nancy

chemo
    I had the same chemo 4 rounds in 2009 I drank a lot of water and ginger ale and ice to prevent mouthsores.I also used plastic silverware i had a lot of heartburn I took rolaids for that. My hair started falling out a few weeks after my first treatment I had it buzzed. I always had my chemotherapy on thurdays by the following Thursday I was back to normal. I never had my blood counts go way down I never got the shots. I did manage to work during chemotherapy but I rested a lot to it reminded me of having the flu.

Im wishing you the best

Teresa
  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    Scar Creams
    When I had healed enough, my surgeon recommended using Vitamin E cream that I bought off the shelf at Walmart. She was concerned about how cherry red the scars were (I wasn't, I'd never had a surgery like that before with such long scars,etc), she recommended Cimeosil strips at night. They were long gel like strips that could be cut to fit my mastectomy scars. The scars on each side of my chest to my underarms were not straight, so my hubby measured the strips out and cut them to fit my scars. I would wear them at night, take them off in the morning. They are washable and reusable to point. Eventually the gel stickiness would wear off. By the time that happened, I no longer needed them. There were some mornings towards the end that I had to hunt for them in bed. My surgeon liked the gel strips better than a Cimeosil cream because it gave more bang for the buck. The cream would wear off on clothing at night.

I don't know if you had or are having radiation, so that may make a difference,so I would ask your doctors.
  • GrammyKaren
    GrammyKaren Member Posts: 96
    Options

Scar Creams
    When I had healed enough, my surgeon recommended using Vitamin E cream that I bought off the shelf at Walmart. She was concerned about how cherry red the scars were (I wasn't, I'd never had a surgery like that before with such long scars,etc), she recommended Cimeosil strips at night. They were long gel like strips that could be cut to fit my mastectomy scars. The scars on each side of my chest to my underarms were not straight, so my hubby measured the strips out and cut them to fit my scars. I would wear them at night, take them off in the morning. They are washable and reusable to point. Eventually the gel stickiness would wear off. By the time that happened, I no longer needed them. There were some mornings towards the end that I had to hunt for them in bed. My surgeon liked the gel strips better than a Cimeosil cream because it gave more bang for the buck. The cream would wear off on clothing at night.

I don't know if you had or are having radiation, so that may make a difference,so I would ask your doctors.

Hi Wendy Joy
    I too had a lumpectomy and axilary disection. Sentinel node positive out of 6 nodes removed. I had a power port inserted by vascular surgeon and waited to start chemo. I ma triple negative and had a 7 cm tumor so the chemo was Adriamycin + cytoxan + avastin (i was selected for the clinical trail in the northeast.) this was dose dense and the worst was 1st day infusion, it took all day.

The docs were all pleased because things went well. I took emend and zofran and decadron. Not a moment of nausea. BP goes wildly out of control on avastin so I was monitored carefully. Mouth tissue so sore , I could eat creamy foods no taste for anything. No fresh uncooked fruits or veggies.
    Next up was taxol over 12 weeks with every third infusion avastin also. I had side effects and it took me into icu. Chemo event so that ended chemo..got most of it tho.
    One thing I didn't pay attention to was wearing my bra after lump. and I developed infections from the heaviness of the breast and teh surgery. Drainage and antibiotics. WEAR UR BRA day and night.

i forget when I started getting neulasta injections but I took claritin day before , day of and 2 days after. no pain at all . mild neuropathy.
    Everyone is different so be kind to yourself and get biotene toothpaste and good nutrition.
    No vitamins or supplements tho. interfers with chemo

Ok will shut up for now ,
    Very best to you,
    Karen