Arimidex

Options
I am on Arimidex for two weeks now and I am feelings really achey and lots of headaches can this happen?

Comments

• serenity92
    serenity92 Member Posts: 84
    Options
    I think from what I see on
    I think from what I see on here and my oncologist tells me is that joint pain can be a real issue with arimidex. I started arimidex in november and last week my oncologist took me off (temporarily?) due to severe bone and joint pain and head aches. I was on it only about six weeks. The thing to remember is that each of us is unique. Unfortunetly my onco was very worried about me having this problem because my targeted chemo for my leukemia already causes bone issues. I also live in Minnesota, why does that matter? Well because the minute our temperatures dropped below freezing my bone pain quadrupled...crazy. So I dont know what his next plan is. I see him in a couple of weeks. Also be aware that these ladies are loaded with suggestions for how to deal with and even allieviate pain. Good luck, keeping you in my prayers. Jayne
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options

I think from what I see on here and my oncologist tells me is that joint pain can be a real issue with arimidex. I started arimidex in november and last week my oncologist took me off (temporarily?) due to severe bone and joint pain and head aches. I was on it only about six weeks. The thing to remember is that each of us is unique. Unfortunetly my onco was very worried about me having this problem because my targeted chemo for my leukemia already causes bone issues. I also live in Minnesota, why does that matter? Well because the minute our temperatures dropped below freezing my bone pain quadrupled...crazy. So I dont know what his next plan is. I see him in a couple of weeks. Also be aware that these ladies are loaded with suggestions for how to deal with and even allieviate pain. Good luck, keeping you in my prayers. Jayne

Very common issues.
    My mother-in-law went off it due to the side effects. I have been on it for 3 years and have no big issues yet. If I had, my onc said she would switch me to another drug. You might want to change the time of day you take it. I take mine at bed time.

Roseann
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options

Maybe Tamoxifen?
    Tamoxifen is a good and older hormonal drug. You might ask your oncologist about Tamoxifen.

It has different issue and bone & joint pain are not one of the side effects. There is a problem with endometrium thickening. Hot flashes are a biggie, weight gain can be an issue, lost of libido another. Certainly doable and it would give you protection.

Good luck to you,

Doris
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    I just couldn't do
    I just couldn't do Arimidex...super painful joints, depressed and I even had trouble swallowing. I switched back to Tamoxifen. If you really don't feel well, tell your Onc.

We all have different reactions to meds.

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Unfortunately yes!
    I've been on it for one year. Four more to go. I won't stop even though it has added to my joint pain, harder to lose weight and my cholesterol went up more than 60 pts! Hang in there.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    My oncologist asks me every
    My oncologist asks me every time I see her if the bone pain is an issue. She said alot of women are stopping arimidex because of bone pain. I had a bit of trouble in the beginning but I don't have much trouble now. Some times when I sit for a while, it's tougher to get up but that is the worst of it now.
    Good luck!
    Cindy
  • serenity92
    serenity92 Member Posts: 84
    Options
    mamolady said:

My oncologist asks me every
    My oncologist asks me every time I see her if the bone pain is an issue. She said alot of women are stopping arimidex because of bone pain. I had a bit of trouble in the beginning but I don't have much trouble now. Some times when I sit for a while, it's tougher to get up but that is the worst of it now.
    Good luck!
    Cindy

I started on the tamoxofin
    I started on the tamoxofin and found out through labs that I cannot metabolize it. So I had to have my ovaries out in october and started the arimidex in nov. It worries me that the pain is already so severe after such a short time. And I hate the waiting game to see what the next move my oncologist will make. Jayne
  • Phoenix chick
    Phoenix chick Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Achy joints
    Hi Lisa, I had a big dely to getting sore joints because I was on masses of pain killers for Shingles! When the pain killers were no longer necessry, the pain in my hands and knees kicked in slowly. The trick is to keep active. Avoid sitting still for really long perids. I'm worse at the computer,after prolonged driving and sitting here on my lounge chair with my legs fully stretched out. I know I will look like a crock when I get up... butit will pass in minute or 2. .Getting out of bed is the worst... but after I'm dressed, i am heaps better. I've been asking around my BC buddies about what else helps. I know the we can get a product here with a combination of Chondroitin and Glucosamine.. it is fantastic. Fish oil is also helpful. I'm also about to try Krill Oil instead of Fish oil to see if that is better. Have you tried swimming in a heated pool. I feel NORMAL!!! aftera good swim and stretch in the warm water.I hope you 'hang in there'. You will be proud of yourself to beat this dreadful disease... imagine getting it back again!!! You can do it with support aand encouragement. Cheers and best wishes.
  • Melaniedoingwell
    Melaniedoingwell Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Arimidex
    I had checked into all the potential post chemo drugs that I would possibly have to take and Arimidex has the fewest potential side effects. Only 10 - 15% of women have the bad side effects.

So saying, that does NOT mean any given person will not be among the unluck ones to have side effects.

For me, having been taking this RX since October (only 3 months now), I have only had minimal side effects personally. Nothing I can't deal with and I know I am fortunate.

Of course, we are all fortunate as we are on the right side of the grass!!!

Hope you are able to cope or find a prescription that works better for you!!
  • Pink755
    Pink755 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Arimidex
    Yes, had joint pain, hot flashes and nausea for the first month. I was taking the generic and after switching to brand name symptoms became less noticable with time.