Maybe TMI, but need input please

Options
joannstar
joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
Due to constipation during chemo treatment (before taking Miralax daily) I developed anal fissures.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how have you treated it?

Thanks for your candor.
JoAnn

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I got them from my first cancer...
    Rectal cancer came first, so I was well schooled in damage to my anus...

First, of course, is to eliminate the cause as much as possible: Stay as soft as possible...drink plenty of fluids, and eat non-constipating foods (watch the cheese, chocolate, and bananas).

Second, the treatment...well, I used tubes of A and D ointment (not the cream). I used it before a BM and after. I stopped using toilet paper, used kids' flushable wet wipes instead. I couldn't use the Aloe Vera kind, because I am allergic, but my dear friend had and she said it works wonders (as well as Aloe ointment instead of plain A and D) Also, wore only cotton panties. And, if possible, went 'bottomless' to keep the area dry.

But the big thing, as I already said, is to avoid pushing during potty...and the best way for that is keep regular.

Dutch hugs, Kathi
  • Ginny_B
    Ginny_B Member Posts: 532
    Options
    KathiM said:

I got them from my first cancer...
    Rectal cancer came first, so I was well schooled in damage to my anus...

First, of course, is to eliminate the cause as much as possible: Stay as soft as possible...drink plenty of fluids, and eat non-constipating foods (watch the cheese, chocolate, and bananas).

Second, the treatment...well, I used tubes of A and D ointment (not the cream). I used it before a BM and after. I stopped using toilet paper, used kids' flushable wet wipes instead. I couldn't use the Aloe Vera kind, because I am allergic, but my dear friend had and she said it works wonders (as well as Aloe ointment instead of plain A and D) Also, wore only cotton panties. And, if possible, went 'bottomless' to keep the area dry.

But the big thing, as I already said, is to avoid pushing during potty...and the best way for that is keep regular.

Dutch hugs, Kathi

Fish Oil seems to lubricate
    Fish Oil seems to lubricate internally so that the stool sort of slips out. Doc said my mom could take Fish Oil during her chemo and rads.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Ginny_B said:

Fish Oil seems to lubricate internally so that the stool sort of slips out. Doc said my mom could take Fish Oil during her chemo and rads.

Or eat fatty fish....
    I eat alot more mackerel, herring, etc in The Netherlands...notice I have less trouble with my 'daily dooty'...hummmm...these fish are high in fish oil...and, IMHO, taste GREAT!!!!

Dutch hugs, Kathi
  • joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Ginny_B said:

thank you all
    for responding. I'll try your suggestions.

Hugs,
    JoAnn