Options
2»

Comments

• plh4gail
    plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    PhillieG said:

CT Scans seeing/not seeing Tumor Growth * UPDATE
    John, I've seen measurable changes in tumor size many times between scans. I'm on an every 3 month schedule.
    I guess that once again I fall into that unique group of patients that is in the 21st century as far as treatment goes.
    We've had very different experiences from the get-go treatment-wise as well as how we view cancer.
    That's neither here nor there, it's just different.
    Be well...
    -p

* UPDATE
    Just got scan results today. Small shrinkage of tumors. The report said no noticeable change, my oncologist measured them and saw there was a noticeable difference. I guess it's depends on how well one notices things...

Cheers to tumor
    Cheers to tumor shrinkage!

Gail
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    westie66 said:

Scans
    Hi all: I had one (MRI) right after the last of 12 treatments of oxaliplatin, etc. and another set (CT) two weeks ago. In total I've had about 12 or even more scans, most of them MRIs (which don't use radiation). The "normal" routine is every 3 months for a couple of years and then 1 a year after that.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this: my scans have been done at 3 different hospitals (it just depends on where they can get you in) that all have different radiologists and probably machines. Whether it is an MRI or a CT scan, the results of each scan, when compared to other scans, all appear somewhat different. For example, some radiologists do a very "sparse" interpretation while others are quite thorough measuring each and every nodule. I realize that MRIs give different information than CTs but the trend should be the same. Last year I was told all of my nodules on the peritoneum were gone and we could rejoice, but then a CT scan a month or so later for my surgeon told a different story - they were still there. It's driving me crazy. I can only hope my oncologist is looking at the actual images and not just the reports! I am a trained image analyst (albeit for monitoring vegetation changes) and feel I could do a good job on them myself! Any ideas on this? I see the oncologist tomorrow about the latest scans which almost contradict previous scans.
    Cheryl

Cheryl

There will be differences in size and location of spots, depending
    on the technician taking the scan, and the equipment itself.

There are noted differences in images taken by PET/CT vs CT,
    vs MRI scans, and also between equipment of the same type
    and manufacture.

Machines aren't all set up in the same manner, and slight variances
    between their construction can cause differences in the resulting
    image, as well.

It isn't an exact science, it's just a tool.

Rather than worrying about a slight enlargement of a spot, or
    rallying over a slight shrinkage of a spot, I prefer to wait and
    party over the complete disappearance of a spot.

Try not to get dismayed with the technology involved, or the
    results reported, and just trust what you "feel" inside. It's your
    own intuition that's the "real thing". If you feel it's gone, just
    work to keep it gone. Don't let a test or a scan dictate your
    life and dreams.

May all our spots be gone by tomorrow!
    (and may they never return)

Best wishes,

John
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    westie66 said:

Scans
    Hi all: I had one (MRI) right after the last of 12 treatments of oxaliplatin, etc. and another set (CT) two weeks ago. In total I've had about 12 or even more scans, most of them MRIs (which don't use radiation). The "normal" routine is every 3 months for a couple of years and then 1 a year after that.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this: my scans have been done at 3 different hospitals (it just depends on where they can get you in) that all have different radiologists and probably machines. Whether it is an MRI or a CT scan, the results of each scan, when compared to other scans, all appear somewhat different. For example, some radiologists do a very "sparse" interpretation while others are quite thorough measuring each and every nodule. I realize that MRIs give different information than CTs but the trend should be the same. Last year I was told all of my nodules on the peritoneum were gone and we could rejoice, but then a CT scan a month or so later for my surgeon told a different story - they were still there. It's driving me crazy. I can only hope my oncologist is looking at the actual images and not just the reports! I am a trained image analyst (albeit for monitoring vegetation changes) and feel I could do a good job on them myself! Any ideas on this? I see the oncologist tomorrow about the latest scans which almost contradict previous scans.
    Cheryl

Hi Cheryl
    If possible, ask to VIEW the scan, not just read the report.
    I've found it makes a huge difference
    -p
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    plh4gail said:

Cheers to tumor
    Cheers to tumor shrinkage!

Gail

Gail
    Thank you. It was what I'd hoped for...
    This seems to be in the pattern I'm in. It's why I've been introducing juicing again.
    My plan is to have juicing help the chemo finish the spots off.
    -p
  • clintw
    clintw Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

I asked my doctor why wait 3 months why not earlier. She said. Good morning Clint!

Standard of care is 3 months between scan for the purposes of safety, insurance and surveillance.

Have a great day! That doesn't seem to tell me a heck of a lot

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

Nearly all these folks are gone, save Colocan and perhaps another. When this thread started, ten and a half years ago, I was getting a CT scan every 3 months, followed by Pet scans often, because it was after my first recurrence/resection in my liver, which had 3 month scans up until then. I did these for years at that rate, they kept seeing abnormalities, trying biopsies, then finally seeing mets they still weren't 100% certain about. After the second resection in 9/14, I had 5 CT's followed by PET"S at 3 month intervals, 2 needle aspirations for lung fluid, 1 needle biopsy, and then they finally went to a yearly scan, for three more years. How many that adds up to, I have no clue, but it seems like at least one every 3 months from 9/07 to9/17 for the CT, and a couple dozen of the PET scans. Stay tuned to find out how much one can tolerate for how long, lol. Seriously, these were some smart, thorough, thoughtful people on this blog then, PhillieG, John23, Annalexandria, any newbie should read their words of wisdom. Me, it just brings the losses back, and there are so many...................................Dave

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

It is true, Dave. So many good people, all gone off to the great beyond - I hope it is as great as they say it is.

The original thread was also posted at a time when the forum was running fast and furious. I miss those days as much as I miss those members.

Tru

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

Yep Sue, there were a lot of fascinating dialogues, until the disruptions and improvements turned this into an empty shell of what it was. Some things need perservation and continuity, far more than they need design advances and greater options. This blog was/is one of those places. I don't know if it ever gets back to what it was, but it's certainly clear 'their' messing around with it broke the sense of intimacy, continuity, and accessibility for groups of people in great need of just those qualities.........................Dave

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options

Very well said. As are the other posts you and Tru made following this one. What this was when I first joined is a far cry from what it has turned into. It seems like it is not quite as helpful(?) useful(?) as it once was. It does seem to relate to the redo.

• Capox Dude
    Capox Dude Member Posts: 122 Member
    Options

My every 3 month CT schedule (for 3 years) is now an every 6 months CT. Looking forward to it being every year soon.