Breast surgeon vs General surgeon

Options
disneyfan2008
disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
Curious-I had general surgeon do my surgery at the referral of my Gyno/OB...honestly I never knew there was such thing as breast surgeon until after the fact..

So anyone else have general surgeon?

Denise

Comments

• jphilpo
    jphilpo Member Posts: 177
    Options
    general surgeon
    Hi Denise,

I had a general surgeon. He was wonderful!

Jean
  • Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    Options
    I also had a general surgeon
    I also had a general surgeon referred by my primary Dr.& and Onc.my clinic doesn't have breast cancer surgeon.
    Frankie
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    General v. Breast Surgeon
    I had my excision biopsy, axillary dissection, right mastectomy and port implantation all done by a board certified general surgeon. He is considered one of the finest surgeons in a pretty large metropolitan area. I was referred to him by both my internist and my oncologist. I think he did great work and had no complications to speak of. When looking for a surgeon I think it is important to ask the doctor what board certifications he or she has and how many times he/she has done the procedure. If you are not satisfied with the answers then go elsewhere.

IRENE
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Women's Surgeon
    My surgeon only does BC and other 'women' surgery.

Susan
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    I had a general surgeon
    who only does breasts (male and female) and women's surgery. She said it just evolved and there is such a need. She was wonderful. If I wouldn't have been able to have her, I would have used another general surgeon who did my appendix, scar tissue from endometriosis, and he removed my thyroid. He too is excellent. I just went by my doctors recommendations. \

Carol
  • robang13
    robang13 Member Posts: 333
    Options
    I had a breast surgeon. If
    I had a breast surgeon. If my general surgeon was still alive, I would have used him. I really think it comes down to who you like as a person, can talk to and ask questions of. I loved my general surgeon and like my breast surgeon.

angela
  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    I had a general surgeon who
    I had a general surgeon who can do a variety of different surgeries, but focuses mainly on breast cancer surgeries. She was awesome.
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    "general" surgeon
    My Family Practitioner suggested the general surgeon who did my cholysistectomy (which didn't go right) and my hemorrhoidectomy (which didn't go right). So I sure as heck wasn't going to use him for this, or anything else that may ever come up in the future! I said to my doc, "Is that the best you can do?" and she scrambled around trying to think of another one. I went to a "general surgeon" who, along with her partner, only do breast cancer removal. The scar is almost nothing. She was great, although the cavity she left "gurgled" for a few weeks afterward, until I had radiation, but that was not her fault. I told her to take a lot and get clear margins the first time.

~~Connie~~
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Denise
    my surgeon is in a group of "general surgeons" who specialize in oncology, especially breast.
    As long as your gyn recommended I wouldn't be concerned.
    Char
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Denise
    my surgeon is in a group of "general surgeons" who specialize in oncology, especially breast.
    As long as your gyn recommended I wouldn't be concerned.
    Char

Years ago
    Years ago when I had 2 benign tumors at age 20 I had a general surgeons.I stayed with that group for all these years till recently.Now their title is general surgery,trauma and breast surgeons.I think some of the doctors are considered the breast surgeons or have that title.With all my tumors I've had removed before and after the only malignant one there are NO scars.I've had doctors ask me where are the scars???.Even years ago the surgeon who did my first surgery wondered where the scar was. I did have one of my doctors say "Your breast will never be the same". Me either!!!!!

Lynn Smith
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    robang13 said:

I had a breast surgeon. If
    I had a breast surgeon. If my general surgeon was still alive, I would have used him. I really think it comes down to who you like as a person, can talk to and ask questions of. I loved my general surgeon and like my breast surgeon.

angela

I had a breast surgeon for
    I had a breast surgeon for my lumpectomy.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options

Years ago
    Years ago when I had 2 benign tumors at age 20 I had a general surgeons.I stayed with that group for all these years till recently.Now their title is general surgery,trauma and breast surgeons.I think some of the doctors are considered the breast surgeons or have that title.With all my tumors I've had removed before and after the only malignant one there are NO scars.I've had doctors ask me where are the scars???.Even years ago the surgeon who did my first surgery wondered where the scar was. I did have one of my doctors say "Your breast will never be the same". Me either!!!!!

Lynn Smith

Thanks for replies...

Thanks for replies...