Markers and scans

Options
janie560
janie560 Member Posts: 42
I go to kiaser and they do not believe in scans and makers? It appears people ln this site all get these
? This has made me very nervous but they refused except they did gave me a bone scan and it was clear.

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Not all DRs/oncologists
    Not all DRs/oncologists "believe" in markers as a good indicator one way or the other with Breast Cancer. As for scans~ no doubt your Dr will order what is needed at regular intervals~ as you said, your bone scan was normal~ YAY! I didn't have a battery of scans post treatment except for mammograms and bone. I took Arimidex for 5 years post chemo and radiation, and I was diligent about self-breast exams, the scheduled Dr visits ( every 3 months and then 6 until I was finally "normal" and just got mammograms once a year like the general population!) I eventually did have a recurrance, but it was found very early, and not related to having scans or not.It was found during, of all things, gallbladder surgery! I am part of a clinical trial now, and I am doing really well!
    Keep a good appointment schedule with your health care provider~ even your GP or gynocologist for needed examinations, pap and pelvic and scheduled mammograms etc. Communicate any concerns with your Drs...we have to be our own best advocates! We may not know everything, but we also must remember that we are one of hundreds of clients~ much as we'd like to think we are unforgettable (LOL) we need to speak up and take care of ourselves!
    Hope this helps, Kindred Spirit!
    Chen♥
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

Not all DRs/oncologists
    Not all DRs/oncologists "believe" in markers as a good indicator one way or the other with Breast Cancer. As for scans~ no doubt your Dr will order what is needed at regular intervals~ as you said, your bone scan was normal~ YAY! I didn't have a battery of scans post treatment except for mammograms and bone. I took Arimidex for 5 years post chemo and radiation, and I was diligent about self-breast exams, the scheduled Dr visits ( every 3 months and then 6 until I was finally "normal" and just got mammograms once a year like the general population!) I eventually did have a recurrance, but it was found very early, and not related to having scans or not.It was found during, of all things, gallbladder surgery! I am part of a clinical trial now, and I am doing really well!
    Keep a good appointment schedule with your health care provider~ even your GP or gynocologist for needed examinations, pap and pelvic and scheduled mammograms etc. Communicate any concerns with your Drs...we have to be our own best advocates! We may not know everything, but we also must remember that we are one of hundreds of clients~ much as we'd like to think we are unforgettable (LOL) we need to speak up and take care of ourselves!
    Hope this helps, Kindred Spirit!
    Chen♥

Hi Janie,
    I never get markers or Pet scans either. I go to Mass General and have had CT and bone scans along with my mammo's but that's it.
    I too was worried when I read so much about the markers and Pet but now I realize that not every doctor does them.
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    I have Kaiser as well. Are
    I have Kaiser as well. Are you asking about scans and markers as follow up to monitor for mets or recurrence? After completing treatment I asked about that also and was told that scans would be done if symptoms warrant them, and that markers are unreliable.

Prior to recurrence my onc was (still is) pretty aggressive about scans...one day I mentioned a migraine (not normal for me) and he got me in for a brain scan the same day.

When the local recurrence showed up, I had a complete set of tests again including markers. For me, the markers are not an indicator of cancer activity. My markers were not elevated. So in my case, it will always be scans to monitor the cancer.

I hope this helps.

Hugs,

Linda
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options

I have Kaiser as well. Are you asking about scans and markers as follow up to monitor for mets or recurrence? After completing treatment I asked about that also and was told that scans would be done if symptoms warrant them, and that markers are unreliable.

Prior to recurrence my onc was (still is) pretty aggressive about scans...one day I mentioned a migraine (not normal for me) and he got me in for a brain scan the same day.

When the local recurrence showed up, I had a complete set of tests again including markers. For me, the markers are not an indicator of cancer activity. My markers were not elevated. So in my case, it will always be scans to monitor the cancer.

I hope this helps.

Hugs,

Linda

I am also at Kaiser and like
    I am also at Kaiser and like Linda said they do the tests that they feel are warranted at the stage and grade you are. I didn't have scans or markers for breast cancer because mine was a low grade, small and no node involvement. I did have markers done when I had uterine cancer when I was first diagnosed. I don't think they meant that they never do scans but maybe, like me, at your point in diagnosis they don't feel the need. My sister goes to Kaiser also and she has had many scans, CT, PET, MRI etc. Her breast cancer was a much higher stage, grade and she had node invoivement. She had chemo both before and after masectomy and herceptin and is on arimidex. Hoping this answers your question about why no scans or markers. If you are still worried or concerned ask to consult with another oncologist and don't feel that they will just agree with your doctor. I have on occasion asked to talk with another doctor and received different view points.
    Stef
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options

I hope this helps.

Hugs,

Linda

I think it depends on the type, stage, grade, size, etc.
    I don't think this is a "Kaiser thing". I have never had a scan nor a marker test, either before or after treatment. My cancer was early stage, low grade, and a small tumor. I see the med onc every 4 months and have blood work for organ function and CBC prior to seeing her. I have breast exams by the nurse practitioner in surgical oncology every 6 months, and only a yearly mammogram. I believe this is standard protocol for my type of breast cancer. Oh, I'm on Arimidex, too.

Because I had both breast and endometrial cancers, I've asked about scans (and beleive me, I've asked every person I've seen for both ends). Because both of my cancers were node negative and low grade, no one seems concerned (except me) about what else might be going on unless I become symptomatic or organ function tests show an abnormality.

I try to remember that not being scanned is a good thing because there is no reason to suspect that there is something going on somewhere else. I also know if I complain about anything, it's thoroughly investigated and not just watched like before cancer. We've done everything to remove, poison, and fry every little cell that was known at the time, and then some. It's been 13 months since my treatment ended and I can now honestly say that my follow-ups mostly feel routine and are for reassurance rather than looking for trouble.

Suzanne
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    Scans
    Hi Janie,

When I was dx I did have a bone scan, chest x-ray, blood work after surgery but before treatment.

I had them for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd recurrences and also to measure how treatment is working out.

During the 17 years, I have had scan's for other reasons other than cancer. Scans are only given to figure out what is bothering you.

I truly don't want scans any more than necessary.

Blood markers such as CEA or CA 27-29 don't work at all on me at all. We never do them anymore. It is not a perfect tests. Great for those who have success with them.

If this helps, I always know when something is wrong, I tell my oncologist. I know before I have a scan that will confirm it. I have yet to be wrong. Trust your own instincts.

Best,

Doris
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    I don't think this is a
    I don't think this is a Kaiser thing at all. I am not at Kaiser and my doctor does not believe in markers either. I personally wish he did, but my RO doesn't believe in them either. But I would love to have the markers to follow as I am a number person.

Either way, I have learned each doctor is comfortable doing what has worked best for them over the years and the most important thing is that I trust my onco. And I do.

Good luck to you,
    Carol
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    scans and markers? I
    scans and markers? I honestly have no idea what they are...! I never heard / told any #s like i hear/ see everyone mention on this site!~

Denise