From Sweet Dreams To Wet Dreams.....

Options

Comments

• Jan Trinks
    Jan Trinks Member Posts: 477
    Options
    I know the feeling
    Sweet:

So funny! I don't have the dry tongue thing but I am perpetually falling alseep in the recliner (which was Charlie's chair) for half the night. I did receive an e-mail recently about things us older people do and one of them is "pre-sleep" which is falling asleep in the chair before you get to the bed. I didn't make it to the bed last night but I did have my jammies on! And I can't tell how many times I've had a cup of coffee, or glass of tea or coke in my hand and have awakened as you did! Good luck next time!

Jan (Basketcase)
  • KTeacher
    KTeacher Member Posts: 1,103
    Options
    Wet !!!!
    I hope that Nizzy will continue to sleep with you! What a way to wake up! I think that you need a sippy cup, my grandsons have some that they don't use anymore, CARS or Toy Story. . .Really, I would consider one of those travel coffee mugs that you have to press a button to open up for liquid.

Sweet Dreams!
  • Pumakitty
    Pumakitty Member Posts: 652
    Options
    You are so funny
    Sweet,

This really mad me laugh. I do not keep any liquids by my bed, because my darling fur ball Firefly would find away to dump it on me. She already know how to bang the picture frame against the wall. Lift the handles of my jelwry box and le them drop and pull the covers off off of me. It is a good thing she only weighs about 6 pounds.

Try to get a better night sleep.

Kathy
  • Greend
    Greend Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Blame it on the dog
    This story is about someone (I won't mention it is my wife) who really does sleep walk and then actually does things such as wash the dishes or cook eggs and has absolutely no recollection of it in the morning. She is most famous for her habit of getting up and getting a snack, returning to bed and eating it. Often times she wakes up in the morning with crumbs in the bed but can't remember eating saltines the night before. One night she got some chocolate and somehow some of it fell on the bed (a sizeable piece I might add). When I woke up I saw this huge brown stain all over the sheets and bedspread I thought someone had had an accident. I realized what she had done however I had to take advantage. I woke her us and told her that her true love, the Yorkie, had crappped in the bed and it was all over her and the covers. I have never seen someone jump up as quickly as the did that morning and the first think she did was try and blame my poor old cat - the one from gas control. I had a great laugh and she continues to walk and eat in her sleep.
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Hahahaha!
    Denny, that was hilarious!
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    Pumakitty said:

You are so funny
    Sweet,

This really mad me laugh. I do not keep any liquids by my bed, because my darling fur ball Firefly would find away to dump it on me. She already know how to bang the picture frame against the wall. Lift the handles of my jelwry box and le them drop and pull the covers off off of me. It is a good thing she only weighs about 6 pounds.

Try to get a better night sleep.

Kathy

Kteacher, I have had a sort
    Kteacher, I have had a sort of sippy cup before. Maybe I will do it again. Nizzy will always be with me. I'm pretty sure that we've been cemented together with Gorilla Glue, or at least he seems to think so.

Pumakitty, your cats sound funny.
  • Sue22
    Sue22 Member Posts: 99
    Options

Kteacher, I have had a sort
    Kteacher, I have had a sort of sippy cup before. Maybe I will do it again. Nizzy will always be with me. I'm pretty sure that we've been cemented together with Gorilla Glue, or at least he seems to think so.

Pumakitty, your cats sound funny.

Story teller
    You have quite the way to tell stories. Wow that must have been a shock this water all over............all over you. Poor you.......you must have felt so uncomfortable.

Sue
  • robinleigh
    robinleigh Member Posts: 297
    Options

To:Robin Re: Glop
    There's all kinds of glop. I've got tons o'glop. The specific one I was referring to was GC Dry Mouth Gel. My dentists gave me a bunch a while back. I find it works best. I only have a tiny bit left, then I will go back to using the tons of tubes of Bioténe Oral Balance Gel. It's like a Vaseline but not quite as thick, and it coats your mouth, and kind of locks in moisture. I use it after I brush and floss, and then use the Oasis Dry Mouth Mouthwash. I was going to try and order the Stoppers, until someone here said that it tasted like wintergreen. *gag* Hate that flavor.

This is the dry mouth section from the HNC Superthread if you are interested in additional dry mouth products.

PRODUCTS TO HELP SOOTHE DRY MOUTH
    --------------------------------------------------------------

BIOTÈNE PRODUCTS

GC  DRY MOUTH GEL

OASIS DRY MOUTH PRODUCTS

STOPPERS 4

CO BIGELOW LIP BALM moisturizes lips and keeps mouth moister

TOOTHETTE ORAL MOUTH MOISTURIZER. Nurses in radiology oncology gave me packs with this in it.  Also contained a rinse and sponges on a stick to brush with when a toothbrush was too painful.

glop
    Aha...I think we have all kinds of glop as well and just let them gravitate to the rear of the medicine cabinet. Got buried in the mouth sore meds, pain meds, supplements, electric toothbrushes, water pics, flouride trays, humidifier, ets. Think I will dig back through and see if there's some useful glop for this stage in the game! Thanks for the reminder.
    Did you sleep better last night? Hope so!!!
    Robin
  • connieprice1
    connieprice1 Member Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Dawn, Well I guess you are
    Dawn, Well I guess you are at least getting more sleep now a days. Funny story although not at first what I was thinking. I love Nizzy, our dogs are truly man & women's best friend. My dog Scruffy is always watching my back too! You are the Best! Homer & Connie
  • sweetblood22
    Options

glop
    Aha...I think we have all kinds of glop as well and just let them gravitate to the rear of the medicine cabinet. Got buried in the mouth sore meds, pain meds, supplements, electric toothbrushes, water pics, flouride trays, humidifier, ets. Think I will dig back through and see if there's some useful glop for this stage in the game! Thanks for the reminder.
    Did you sleep better last night? Hope so!!!
    Robin

Robin
    No. I slept worse, actually. I was up until 6 am. :( I woke up at noon. I'm all messed up. I had that dry tickle in the back of my throat, and I just cough all the time. The tickle can really get maddening.
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    Sue22 said:

Story teller
    You have quite the way to tell stories. Wow that must have been a shock this water all over............all over you. Poor you.......you must have felt so uncomfortable.

Sue

Story teller.
    I was known as quite the story teller and chatterbox, in the past. I don't think my friends and family are too broken up about the fact that I talk way less than I used to, now that my mouth is soooooo dry. It's not easy for me to go on and on like I used to. They are not so secretly happy that I am quiet now. :D
  • sweetblood22
    Options

Dawn, Well I guess you are
    Dawn, Well I guess you are at least getting more sleep now a days. Funny story although not at first what I was thinking. I love Nizzy, our dogs are truly man & women's best friend. My dog Scruffy is always watching my back too! You are the Best! Homer & Connie

Homer. No, still not
    Homer. No, still not getting any sleep. I got six fragmented hours last night. I woke up about 4 times. Blah.
  • robinleigh
    robinleigh Member Posts: 297
    Options

Homer. No, still not
    Homer. No, still not getting any sleep. I got six fragmented hours last night. I woke up about 4 times. Blah.

this sleep issue
    I am so frustrated/upset about this friggin' sleep, or rather lack of sleep ordeal. Andy has the exact same scenario...waking up almost hourly. I guess it all goes back to dry mouth. Maybe the elastic band to keep the mouth shut is worth a try? I am also going to buy some melatonin today. Dr. Oz says to take it after dinner so it has time to get into system.
    Bless you guys...cause lack of sleep is awwwwful.
  • tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 727 Member
    Options

this sleep issue
    I am so frustrated/upset about this friggin' sleep, or rather lack of sleep ordeal. Andy has the exact same scenario...waking up almost hourly. I guess it all goes back to dry mouth. Maybe the elastic band to keep the mouth shut is worth a try? I am also going to buy some melatonin today. Dr. Oz says to take it after dinner so it has time to get into system.
    Bless you guys...cause lack of sleep is awwwwful.

Chin Strap
    This is what I used. It is mostly Velcro and wears out fairly fast. But it did work okay for the short time I had it. It's time to search for a better and cheaper one. Don't mind paying a high price as long as it will last longer than three weeks. What happens is the fabric stretches so you keep tightening it and after awhile it is as tight as it can be.

There are a lot of different ones once you start searching. I suggest using the review ratings by users before purchase.

And so sorry to hear of both of you having such a hard time sleeping. It is so beneficial to our well being that you need to do whatever is necessary to fix it. Me? I take either an Ambien or a Xanax, depending on how I feel. Don't really care for the Ambien because it does cause sleep walking and other weird stuff. My sister in law took it one night and ended up down the steep stairs outside and walking in the street completely naked. She then asked me if she should stop using it. Ha ha ha ha !!! Can you say Lunesta? Luckily no one saw her but she banged up her knee really bad on the concrete stairs.

Here is the link:

http://www.cpap.com/productpage/premium-chinstrap-mouthleak.html?src=atg

Tommy
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    No sleep
    There are times, when I cannot take it, and I do take Benadryl so I can pass out cold for a 5 hour block of sleep. (I am about at that point here now. I've had hardly any sleep at all this week. Like just a couple hrs each night) However, if I take something and sleep for that block of five hours, I pay dearly the next day, because my tongue KILLS ME, for the rest of the day or two, because I didn't wake up when it was so dry, to moisten it. It goes past beef jerky stage, and into petrified wood stage. It's actually hard for me to talk and move it around, and eat the next day, and it hurts. I really miss saliva. :(
  • HAWVET
    HAWVET Member Posts: 318
    Options

No sleep
    There are times, when I cannot take it, and I do take Benadryl so I can pass out cold for a 5 hour block of sleep. (I am about at that point here now. I've had hardly any sleep at all this week. Like just a couple hrs each night) However, if I take something and sleep for that block of five hours, I pay dearly the next day, because my tongue KILLS ME, for the rest of the day or two, because I didn't wake up when it was so dry, to moisten it. It goes past beef jerky stage, and into petrified wood stage. It's actually hard for me to talk and move it around, and eat the next day, and it hurts. I really miss saliva. :(

LOL Sweetblood
    Everytime this thread gets to the top, I chuckle. Well, you said it "Get'yer mind outta the gutter."

Back to the discussion, my problem is reading. I go to sleep so often that I lose the place in the book. I have not slept with water, but do have it available on the night stand. I also sleep for short periods of time. Like you, my mouth is very dry and it is getting worse.
  • sweetblood22
    Options
    HAWVET said:

LOL Sweetblood
    Everytime this thread gets to the top, I chuckle. Well, you said it "Get'yer mind outta the gutter."

Back to the discussion, my problem is reading. I go to sleep so often that I lose the place in the book. I have not slept with water, but do have it available on the night stand. I also sleep for short periods of time. Like you, my mouth is very dry and it is getting worse.

HAWVET
    Glad to give you the chuckle. :)

They say that dry mouth is also common the older you get even for "normal" people, so I imagine that it getting worse, is a definite possibility.
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Lesson Learned Sweet
    Never fall to sleep with water bottle in hand!

Thanks for sharing
    Tim Hondo
  • Sheilarhc
    Sheilarhc Member Posts: 46
    Options

No sleep

I miss saliva too
    I understand and really miss the days I had saliva. I remember when I started radiation treatments and the doctor told me that I would lose my saliva, she said I would just need to carry a water bottle. I really thought it was going to be no big deal.....how wrong I was.

I take a salagen pill every 4hrs and it at least gives me some salvia, but when the medication is out of my system, I'm dry as a bone.

Thanks for the funny story....made me laugh
  • Sheilarhc
    Sheilarhc Member Posts: 46
    Options

No sleep

I miss saliva too
    I understand and really miss the days I had saliva. I remember when I started radiation treatments and the doctor told me that I would lose my saliva, she said I would just need to carry a water bottle. I really thought it was going to be no big deal.....how wrong I was.

I take a salagen pill every 4hrs and it at least gives me some salvia, but when the medication is out of my system, I'm dry as a bone.

Thanks for the funny story....made me laugh