Herceptin Side Effects

Options
I am 'triple positive' BC . Diagnosed September 2010 Stage 2 Invasive Ductal carcinoma . Had full mastectomy and lymph clearance. Taking Arimidex and Herceptin. How do people deal with side effects of Herceptin... especially heart failure?
I started out VERY healthy ( before BC) , but after chemo and 5 treatments of Herceptin, my heart muscle started to weaken. I was referred to a cardiologist and put onto heart medication, an ACE Inhibitor and a Beta Blocker, and it gradually got a bit better. I had 4 months break and I'm back onto treatment, still taking heart meds, still getting regular gated heart Scans. Friends tell me a should not exercise too hard!. Doc says I should exercise. I love to swim at the town pool, about 30 - 40 mins 3-4 days per week for by general fitness ( joints, muscles, stress relief).
None of my friends or family are interested in swimming.
I like to walk in the bushland around my home... but none of my family want to come. I live 15 kms from the nearest town. It is very quiet.
Sometimes I get a bit scared of getting a heart attach.... but I need to exercise.
Anyone feel the same?
Fiona

Comments

• BetsyJane
    BetsyJane Member Posts: 127
    Options
    Herceptin weakened my heart too
    Hi Fiona,

I am triple positive like you. I had a lumpectomy and two out of 10 lymph nodes affected. I have been on Herceptin since May 2011 and also take Arimidex. Before taking these two drugs, my heart function was strong. After about five months of being treated on Herceptin, my heart rate went too low and I had to stop taking it. I was also having breathing problems. It's now been a month and a half off Herceptin and I'm starting to breathe much easier. I am scheduled for a muga scan this Friday to see if my heart rate has improved. If it has, I will be put back on Herceptin. Like you, I fear getting a heart attack/cardiac arrest. Heart disease runs in my family but I guess I will finish out Herceptin if I can. I am pretty active as my husband and I live on a farm and have many chores to do each day but I make sure not to over-exert myself and lift heavy objects. I look forward to spring when I can do more walking outside and to summer when I can swim every day. Best of luck on this drug.

Betsy

P.S. I am not on any heart medications yet. I guess I'll find out on Friday what will be done.