Skin cancer from Breast cancer

Options
lmwhite
lmwhite Member Posts: 4
I was diagnosed with Breast cancer in 2007. Received double masectomy and chemo treatment. I've been on Femara since 2008. I only have 1 more year to go and then I was told I could come off the femara. Recently I had a nodule come up on my head. Very weird looking and full of vessels. Went to dermatologist and they removed it and took a biopsy. I got a call Wed that the pathologis wants to talk to my Oncologist because the biopsy came back as cancer but it doesn't show the same characteristics of skin cancer and they suspect (but aren't sure yet and aren't actually saying it is) that the skin cancer is actually breast cancer that has metastasesed. So I gave them permission to get the info but now I'm waiting. The problem is of course now I'm thinking. :0) I have had this pain in my heal and knee that I've been complaining about since the nodule came up. I thought it was from wearing wrong shoes but it really hurts and I'm wearing alot of padding to ease the pain when I walk. Now I'm thinking maybe its possible that the Breast cancer has metastased to my bones and skin. Is that actually possible? I know its possible to metastased to bones or skin but both?

Comments

• LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    UGH!!
    I am so very sorry you are going through this!! And the waiting game sucks, as we all know it.

My great-aunt had her bc metastasized to both skin and bones. But I don't know if they came at the same time. I would think one would come before the other. But I thought pain usually doesn't associate with cancer. But I am not sure. You took chemo so it could also be a side effect from chemo. I know they tend to happen years later. I would double check with Dr. and even get a PET scan, if they think it's appropriate. To give you peace of mind.

Prayers are with you. Please try to stay positive in this difficult time.

Please let us know what you find out.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Skin cancer can be mets
    According to my Drs, skin cancer can definately can develope when you are Inflammatory Breast Cancer. Not sure about forms of breast cancer as we didn't talk about them - just what might effect me someday.The picture of what it looks like sound like you described. If you google skin mets from breast cancer you can find pictures.

Praying it isn't mets!

Susan
  • lmwhite
    Options
    thanks you for replying. My
    thanks you for replying. My chemo what in 08 so I'm not thinking it has anything to do with that as a side effect. I did check out the web site about breast cancer and mets. It didn't look like that. It was one spot on the back of head that was growing very rapidly.
    You are right the waiting is the worst part. :) I'm sure everything will be fine, but I can't help but wonder.

anyway, I should hear something back soon and I'll post.

thanks again
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    lmwhite said:

thanks you for replying. My
    thanks you for replying. My chemo what in 08 so I'm not thinking it has anything to do with that as a side effect. I did check out the web site about breast cancer and mets. It didn't look like that. It was one spot on the back of head that was growing very rapidly.
    You are right the waiting is the worst part. :) I'm sure everything will be fine, but I can't help but wonder.

anyway, I should hear something back soon and I'll post.

thanks again

BC Skin Metastasis
    Breast cancer can metastasize any where, no parts are off limit. However, there are parts that are very, very rare for bc to go to, knees, heels, feet, toes are some of the places. Feet and knees can have so many different problems and most are very painful. You heel pain could be plantar fasciitis which is extremely painful.

Breast cancer can metastasize to the skin, often it returns in the mastectomy scars. I knew someone that developed skin mets first in her wrist and then it went up to the elbow.

Breast cancer metastasize to the skin is very different than melanoma. Are you her2?

Anyway, I do hope it isn't. I hope I did relieve you about anxiety for the feet and knees.

Best,

Doris
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    SIROD said:

BC Skin Metastasis
    Breast cancer can metastasize any where, no parts are off limit. However, there are parts that are very, very rare for bc to go to, knees, heels, feet, toes are some of the places. Feet and knees can have so many different problems and most are very painful. You heel pain could be plantar fasciitis which is extremely painful.

Breast cancer can metastasize to the skin, often it returns in the mastectomy scars. I knew someone that developed skin mets first in her wrist and then it went up to the elbow.

Breast cancer metastasize to the skin is very different than melanoma. Are you her2?

Anyway, I do hope it isn't. I hope I did relieve you about anxiety for the feet and knees.

Best,

Doris

Please see your medical oncologist
    Your med oncologist who treated you 2007 should conduct tests to determine the cause of your complains. Please be proactive And your own advocate.
    Let us know outcome
    Hugs
  • lmwhite
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I know
    Thanks everyone. I know that my oncologist talked to the pathologist Wed. I was hoping to hear something back no later than Friday from someone but I'll call my oncologist Monday to find out what was said. I saw the ongologist in Dec and they took my blood etc. I showed him the nodule on the back of my head and I told him I was going to a dermatolgist to have it removed and he told me that he was sure it would come back benign. So I'm sure it surprised him when the patholgist called him. They haven't "officially" said that's its a recurrence so I'm not really afraid. It could turn out to be just skin cancer, although they did say that it did not have the same characteristics. I just want to know something and of course the waiting stinks. :0)
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    Mine is metastisized to
    Mine is metastisized to bones skin and now liver. biopsied the bone and skin both positi e for bc. will not biopsy he liver as it is still functioning properly and wont change the course of the treatment. The skin tumors are like a hard lima bean or pea. No pain just there.
  • lmwhite
    Options
    camul said:

Mine is metastisized to
    Mine is metastisized to bones skin and now liver. biopsied the bone and skin both positi e for bc. will not biopsy he liver as it is still functioning properly and wont change the course of the treatment. The skin tumors are like a hard lima bean or pea. No pain just there.

I'm sorry to hear that your
    I'm sorry to hear that your cancer has metasized. You will be in my prayers. I talked to my oncologist today and Dermatologist. I was told that the cancer was not a recurrence of my Breast cancer. I have melanoma. I'm not sure how that happen since its on the back of my head where the sun doesn't get to it. But I was glad to hear it wasn't BC. My oncologist told me that my blood test do not show a high calcium level which is suppose to be a sign of cancer in the bones. Even though its melanoma I'm very thankful. they have set up another appt for me to come in. they need to cut some more out, go alittle deeper and wider to make sure they got it all. Will require some stitches but hey we've been through worse. :)
    I checked out what plantar fasciitis was and syptoms and that is exactly what my heal is doing so I'm sure that's what it is especially since the doctor assured my my blood count was good.

God bless all of you!
  • MsGebby
    MsGebby Member Posts: 659
    Options
    camul said:

Mine is metastisized to

was reading this post and
    took note of your description "hard lima bean or pea".. Under the skin? I ask because I have a few that on my forearms and have to wonder if these should be checked. Thanks
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

Please see your medical oncologist
    Your med oncologist who treated you 2007 should conduct tests to determine the cause of your complains. Please be proactive And your own advocate.
    Let us know outcome
    Hugs

I am so sorry to read this.
    I am so sorry to read this. Sending lots of prayers and hugs!
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    MsGebby said:

was reading this post and
    took note of your description "hard lima bean or pea".. Under the skin? I ask because I have a few that on my forearms and have to wonder if these should be checked. Thanks

I would have your onco
    look at them. Mine did when I showed him a few when I was diagnosed with the bone mets. He then chose one on the back that the surgeon biopsied and it was positive for bc mets. The feel the same as my original tumor did. Just a solid mass. No pain, just there!