Port Removal

Options
I am going to get my port removed next Friday, it is suppose be done in a surgical center,local anthesia. Can anyone tell me their experience, and what I need to know. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Your Upcoming Deportation
    Congratulations on your upcoming deportation. I had mine in for about 10 months and was very glad to get rid of it. It was a constant and visible reminder of a not so pleasant time in my life. Besides that, it "creeped me out" every time I ran my fingers across it.

The removal itself was a breeze. Mine was done in my surgeon's office. I even drove myself there and back home. He numbed the port area with an injection of lidocaine. He then opened up the port scar. All I could feel was a kind of tugging sensation. No pain whatsoever. It was over in about 10 minutes. I left with 2 stitches and a steri-strip covering the area. That is all there was to it. It was just about the least invasive thing I had done to me.

Good luck. Friday the 27th will be a good day.

IRENE
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options

Your Upcoming Deportation
    Congratulations on your upcoming deportation. I had mine in for about 10 months and was very glad to get rid of it. It was a constant and visible reminder of a not so pleasant time in my life. Besides that, it "creeped me out" every time I ran my fingers across it.

The removal itself was a breeze. Mine was done in my surgeon's office. I even drove myself there and back home. He numbed the port area with an injection of lidocaine. He then opened up the port scar. All I could feel was a kind of tugging sensation. No pain whatsoever. It was over in about 10 minutes. I left with 2 stitches and a steri-strip covering the area. That is all there was to it. It was just about the least invasive thing I had done to me.

Good luck. Friday the 27th will be a good day.

IRENE

My experience
    was 100% the same as Irene's was. I was very apprehensive. Mine was also done in surgeon's office, local anesthetic, some tugging and pulling but no pain at all and then a couple of stitches. We talked the whole time. The area was a bit sore and bruised for a few days, but it healed quickly and very well. You will do fine.

Hugs, Renee
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    Easy Procedure
    My port was removed a long time ago and mine was done in the OR. It was one of the easiest procedures I ever had. It came out in the morning and by afternoon I was back doing all the normal everyday thing. I didn't like mine either and had it removed one month after finishing chemo.

Best wishes,

Doris
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Hmmmmm...being as we are
    Hmmmmm...being as we are mostly women, and I hope the perhaps easily offended will forgive me, but for me, port removal felt rather like the "tug" we experience with tampon removal. I remember thinking that at the time! That was 8+ years ago and I would still say that's what it felt like!
  • Marketing20107
    Marketing20107 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Port removal
    Thank you all for your support, I sure I will do fine of Friday.
  • catowner
    catowner Member Posts: 50
    Options

Port removal
    Thank you all for your support, I sure I will do fine of Friday.

I am having mine removed on
    I am having mine removed on Feb. 2nd, two weeks after my last chemo. I absolutely hate it due to discomfort. It was great for the IVs but that was it. It will be done in the doctors office so it should not be too bad. Good luck to us both:)