Need help please- mastectomy vs lumpectomy. Dr says lumpectomy.

Options
2»

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

The "what if's"
    We can always second guess ourselves and sometimes I still do it. I had a lumpectomy (chemo and radiation and arimidex). If it never comes back I can smugly say that I didn't need to have my entire breast removed and I will be happy I didn't. If it comes back - regardless of where it comes back - I know I'll beat myself up that I should have had a mastectomy and my decision for a lumpectomy was not a good one. And any reassurance anyone with an MD gives me, won't make any difference to me.

We all know breast cancer is a sneaky, smart cancer that sometimes survives everything we throw at it in spite of everything we throw at it. On the other hand, because of early detection, there are 2.5 breast cancer survivors in the US today, many of whom chose lumpectomy.

Good luck on your decision. I can't say what I'd do if I were you, only share with you what my thoughts are about my decision. I do think I would consider a second opinion in your case.

Suzanne

I had a lumpectomy as I did
    I had a lumpectomy as I did not want to lose my breast. I also had rads about 6 weeks after my surgery. I am so happy that I was able to have the lumpectomy!

From what I know, a lumpectomy with rads is equal to a mastectomy in survival rates and recurrence rates.

Also, some women have no choice. They have to have a mastectomy. If you read on this board, women with mastectomy's have recurrences, just like women that have lumpectomy's.

This is a personal choice. Do what YOU want to do and what you can live with. Good luck!

Hugs, Jan
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

I was told a lumpectomy
    I was told a lumpectomy. I was Stage 0 non invasive DCIS.The tumor was 1/2 centimeter.Pretty good dx.I've had 3 benign tumors since dx.It is nerve wracking but none of doctor said I need a masectomy even with these benign recurrences.

I've had benign tumors and a cyst since I was 20. Dx at 62. All in my left breast.It was in its earliest stage. Why a lumpetomy was suggested to me.

Another situation was my friend who was dx 17 years ago.She had Stage 3 with 3 nodes involved.She was told a lumpectomy was about the same chance of survival than a masectomy. I told her to get the mascetomy but she went by what her dotor said.She is a survivor after 17 years with Stage 3.Another friend was dx 7 years ago with a fast growing breast cancer.Her doctor said the same thing.Not alot of difference between a lumpectomy or a masectomy.So she had a lumpectomy. Doing fine.

It is a hard decision.There are times with me getting benign tumors should I give in and let them take my breast.It's hard to know what to do?????

Lynn Smith

First you have to consider
    First you have to consider what your breast surgeon suggests and your oncologist. There are many pink sisters that couldn't have a lumpectomy for different reasons and had to have a mastectomy. I was told that a lumpectomy with rads was equal to a mastectomy and neither of my doctors saw any reason to be so drastic as to have a mastectomy. So, I had a lumpectomy, followed with rads and am doing great!

I wish you all the luck in your decision!
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

Some of this has to do with age
    The younger you are the more you need to look at masectomy. The lumpectomy for women when they reach a certain age is just as effective to discourage return of bc in that same breast. However, over a certain number of years that lumpectomy equals or overpowers the chances of return of bc over having a masectomy. I think it also depends on whether you have an aggressive bc or not. However, it is your body. Ask the doctor what he would do if the cancer was in his penis. Perhaps this would put the analogy in perspective.

Barb, you make sure you do
    Barb, you make sure you do what is best for you. Your doctors are to guide you, not make your mind up. Only you make the final decision.

I had a lumpectomy with rads and am thankful for that.

Wishing you good luck,

Megan
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

What is your surgeon saying?
    What is your surgeon saying? If I read it right, you said it is the Chemo Dr who is telling you the type of surgery - not the surgeon who will actually be doing the surgeery.

There are other 'things' that come into play beside Stage, size and ER/PR?HER2 status that come into play. Type and BRAC also effect the TX plan. Personally, I never had an option of a lumpectomy - I knew from the first day I saw my surgeon that it would be a mastectomy. Unilateral or bilateral was the only question - I chose unilateral and have not regreted it.

Some thought's to think about if you haven't yet. Is immediate reconstruction something you are considering and if so is it an option you can do (not an option for IBC).? My surgeon told me that if/when I decide that I would want recon then it is easier to get a matched pair with bilateral so might be looking at another mast. then. What is your radiologist's thoughts on doing rads on recon breast?

I still haven't looked into recon (mast. Oct 21, 2009). Being IBC, it's not an option for at least a year. Because I don't want to do any elective surgery during the summer and take away any of my outdoor time, I was going to look into it last winter but some things came up and I didn't. I was going to this winter but this time cataracts came up and it's more important to take care of them this year - so maybe next winter. I'm 65 but that won't stop me if I decide to do it.

At least a second opinion would probably be a good idea. Remember though that a bilateral mastectomy does not guarantee that BC will not come back.

I can't tell you what to do
    I can't tell you what to do or even suggest it. For me, a lumpectomy was what my doctors advised for me and what I did. I did not want to lose my breast. I also had radiation after my surgery which was doable.

Good luck to you,

Jan
  • Pam5
    Pam5 Member Posts: 232
    Options
    Barb A said:

Hard Decision
    Hi Barb. I had DCIS in 2000. It was wide spread in the upper half of my right breast. I chose to have a mastectomy as I would have been disfigured and I thought it would eliminate the chance of recurrance in that breast. I had immediate TramFlap reconstruction and do have some feeling in the reconstructed breast. In 2007, I found a lump in the reconstructed breast. I had a lumpectomy, chemo and rads. I don't know if it was a new cancer or a recurrance. During a mastectomy, the surgeon isn't able to get all the tissue by the chest wall. I was told it was either in that tissue or some cancer cells were dropped into the remaining tissue.

You have to do what you feel is best for you. Your doctor should give you options and advise, but not make the decision for you. Get a second opinion, weigh the pros and cons and got with your instincts.

Best of luck.

Barb A

Hi Barb
    I had my firs bc 27 years ago. I had a lumpectomy and now, after 27 years, I have a recurring tumor in the same breast. I guess I think if I had had a mastectomy instead of a lumpectomy, I wouldn't be in this predicament. Do I know if that's true - of course not. My doc, who is my same doc today, definitely felt that, since my tumor was barely a centimeter, there was no reason to take my whole breast. Who knows. Try to listen to your gut and not react out of fear but out of intuition - you'll know what the right decision is for you.

Keeping you in my prayers

Pam
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Barb A said:

Hard Decision
    Hi Barb. I had DCIS in 2000. It was wide spread in the upper half of my right breast. I chose to have a mastectomy as I would have been disfigured and I thought it would eliminate the chance of recurrance in that breast. I had immediate TramFlap reconstruction and do have some feeling in the reconstructed breast. In 2007, I found a lump in the reconstructed breast. I had a lumpectomy, chemo and rads. I don't know if it was a new cancer or a recurrance. During a mastectomy, the surgeon isn't able to get all the tissue by the chest wall. I was told it was either in that tissue or some cancer cells were dropped into the remaining tissue.

You have to do what you feel is best for you. Your doctor should give you options and advise, but not make the decision for you. Get a second opinion, weigh the pros and cons and got with your instincts.

Best of luck.

Barb A

I am wishing you good luck
    I am wishing you good luck in your decision Barb. I know you will do what's best. For me, I had a lumpectomy with rads for which I am grateful.

If you want, go get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion if that will help you in this very important decision.

Good luck and keep us updated,

Leeza
  • GrammyKaren
    GrammyKaren Member Posts: 96
    Options
    jnl said:

I am wishing you good luck
    I am wishing you good luck in your decision Barb. I know you will do what's best. For me, I had a lumpectomy with rads for which I am grateful.

If you want, go get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion if that will help you in this very important decision.

Good luck and keep us updated,

Leeza

Good luck to you
    In 2009 with a 7 cm tumor in situ , surgeon recc lumpectomy. I don't regret it. Things have gone to nodes but thats another story.
    Sometimes I want to say to women don't have breasts removed and think that this micro cellular disease will never reoccur.

It has to be ur decision and maybe get a second opinion with another surgeon.

Hugs,
    Karen
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Barb A said:

Hard Decision

Best of luck.

Barb A

I had hoped and prayed that
    I had hoped and prayed that I would be able to have a lumpectomy and I was lucky enough to be able to. Ofcourse I had rads about 6 weeks after my surgery.

Best of luck to you,

Noel