liver ultrasound shows 2mm polyp on gall bladder

Options
pete43lost_at_sea
pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
edited January 2012 in Colorectal Cancer #1
About to start researching this.
Maybe this is where the met has landed.

Better the devil I know.

The ultrasound also found a small 7mm cyst on the liver.

Now the ct a few days earlier found nothing but is being reviewed by the radiologists monday.

Also monday 7am i am off for another pet scan, its been 6 weeks.

I also just found out my KRAS is positive, which i think means erbitux is not effective for me.

so as we say here, surgery offers the best hope.

still doing the supplements, the comment from my surgeon is that the tumour is very slow growing. I hope it stays that way. Maybe the iv C / arteminisin / avermar / apatone /supplements are slowing its growth, or even killing it. here is hoping.

Is a met on the gall bladder good or bad ?

Why search the net when we got most of the answers here.

Everyday is moving so fast.

note 12 days ago i had a live blood test that indicated my gall bladder and pancreas were under strain. so I think these alternative tests must have some merit. At least a couple of different modalities.

I have organised with one of the most experienced surgeons in Sydney to look after me for a second opinion.

Now I told a friend I am still smiling, plenty of time to frown when I have the big sleep.

Of course this could all be a storm in the tea cup.

I opened the report and have faxed it to the surgeons, integrative gp's and my onc. I have had no comments from them yet.

big hugs,
Pete

Comments

• wolfen
    wolfen Member Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    My Aussie Friend
    So sorry this seems to be jumping around and won't let you catch and destroy it. You mentioned Germany in another post and I have recently read that the local person here who has been traveling to Germany is having success in tumor shrinkage. He has a large inoperable tumor on his brain. It is an immunology type of protocol using heat. I hate for you to still be going through this after all you have tried, just like our friend Lisa. Hope each of the doctors get back to you soon with new ideas.

Luv,

Wolfen
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    Options
    wolfen said:

My Aussie Friend
    So sorry this seems to be jumping around and won't let you catch and destroy it. You mentioned Germany in another post and I have recently read that the local person here who has been traveling to Germany is having success in tumor shrinkage. He has a large inoperable tumor on his brain. It is an immunology type of protocol using heat. I hate for you to still be going through this after all you have tried, just like our friend Lisa. Hope each of the doctors get back to you soon with new ideas.

Luv,

Wolfen

thanks wolfen
    that great to hear the germans are helping with the inoperable tumour. i have heard good reports hear from many, nothing good from the oncologists. which is not surprising.

i have done some research about the gall bladder and what polyps mean.
    mine is 2mm, so i guess i should relax, and just watch it.

anyway i will just have to wait and see what the doctors tell me.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/459009

i have pursued my health vigoriously yes, i don't regret the challenge, its the nature of life. better me than someone not fit and well in all other respects. i am going out to do my pushups and exercises and walk.

hugs,
    Pete
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options

thanks wolfen
    that great to hear the germans are helping with the inoperable tumour. i have heard good reports hear from many, nothing good from the oncologists. which is not surprising.

i have pursued my health vigoriously yes, i don't regret the challenge, its the nature of life. better me than someone not fit and well in all other respects. i am going out to do my pushups and exercises and walk.

hugs,
    Pete

Pete:an Australian paper,Herald Sun, had a brief item about
    something called KB004 thats being investigated for Phase 1:

heraldsun.com.au/news/aussie-cancer-drug-hope/story-fn7x8me2-1226248778230

maybe you can find out more in other newspapers etc.
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

thanks wolfen

hugs,
    Pete

I suppose they won't really
    I suppose they won't really know what they are unless they biopsy them, or am I wrong?? Will they just assume it's cc mets?? Is their plan to wait and watch and see how they behave before coming to any conclusions? Hopefully Westie will chime in I believe her cancer started in the gallbladder.
  • smokeyjoe
    Options

thanks wolfen

hugs,
    Pete

I suppose they won't really know what they are unless they biopsy them, or am I wrong?? Will they just assume it's cc mets?? Is their plan to wait and watch and see how they behave before coming to any conclusions? Hopefully Westie will chime in I believe her cancer started in the gallbladder.
  • smokeyjoe
    Options

thanks wolfen

hugs,
    Pete

• charliesangel
    charliesangel Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Go get em...
    Hi Pete,

I don't post often, but I do read the forum everyday and I just had to log and say, go get em... Your brilliant in the way you handle yourself:) I admire how hard you are fighting!

All the best in your battle, I have a feeling you will win!

x
  • annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Options
    I do hope you can have surgery, Pete-
    get that nasty stuff out of there! I've had five myself and it's what keeps me alive. I read recently about a woman with advanced uterine cancer who has been having a surgery about once a year for the last 18 years! Definitely not an ideal way to live, but if that's what it takes...and it's great that you're being monitored so closely so they can catch any little bit and get it out before it has a chance to grow. That's my situation as well, and I'm quite content with it when I consider the alternatives. Hugs! Strength! Ann
  • annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Options
    I do hope you can have surgery, Pete-
    get that nasty stuff out of there! I've had five myself and it's what keeps me alive. I read recently about a woman with advanced uterine cancer who has been having a surgery about once a year for the last 18 years! Definitely not an ideal way to live, but if that's what it takes...and it's great that you're being monitored so closely so they can catch any little bit and get it out before it has a chance to grow. That's my situation as well, and I'm quite content with it when I consider the alternatives. Hugs! Strength! Ann
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Test
    Hoping that it is just a cyst or something non serious. It's a good thing that you are keeping up and being vigilant - it's the only way to stay on top of things. Praying for the best results.

Kim
  • Kimo Sabe
    Kimo Sabe Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Gall bladder polyp
    Pete,
    I was told I had what sounds like the same thing--a tiny polyp in the gall bladder. Everyone seemed quite confident that it is benign and not of consequence. Given how normally every questionable shadow gets scrutinized, I feel OK.
    Brazos
    Norm
  • westie66
    westie66 Member Posts: 642
    Options
    Kimo Sabe said:

Gall bladder polyp
    Pete,
    I was told I had what sounds like the same thing--a tiny polyp in the gall bladder. Everyone seemed quite confident that it is benign and not of consequence. Given how normally every questionable shadow gets scrutinized, I feel OK.
    Brazos
    Norm

Gallbladder Polyp
    HI all: As someone who has gallbladder cancer, I would watch this polyp very carefully. Gallbladder cancer is rare and sneaky. No symptoms. It is usually discovered only when someone has their gallbladder out for gallstones and there it is - a nice big tumour that has already protruded through the gallbladder wall. Mine protruded to and into the liver. Gallbladder cancer is incidious because once it is discovered it is usually too late - it has already spread. Usually by that time, you're given less than a year. So please get it checked or at least monitored. They can't usually tell anything except by looking at it laparoscopically - given its position under the liver. Gallbladder cancer has been more common in women than in men, but men are catching up.
    Cheryl
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    Options
    westie66 said:

Gallbladder Polyp
    HI all: As someone who has gallbladder cancer, I would watch this polyp very carefully. Gallbladder cancer is rare and sneaky. No symptoms. It is usually discovered only when someone has their gallbladder out for gallstones and there it is - a nice big tumour that has already protruded through the gallbladder wall. Mine protruded to and into the liver. Gallbladder cancer is incidious because once it is discovered it is usually too late - it has already spread. Usually by that time, you're given less than a year. So please get it checked or at least monitored. They can't usually tell anything except by looking at it laparoscopically - given its position under the liver. Gallbladder cancer has been more common in women than in men, but men are catching up.
    Cheryl

cheryl, i will get it looked at laparoscopically
    i will ask for surgery to check it out.
    i will see what onc and surgeons say.
    thankyou sincerely for sharing your experience.

got my pet tomorrow 7am.

hugs,
    pete
  • Kimo Sabe
    Kimo Sabe Member Posts: 64
    Options
    westie66 said:

Gallbladder Polyp
    Cheryl

Gall bladder polyp
    Cheryl

That information has knocked me out of my comfort zone. I tend to sometimes judge how serious something is based on other people's reaction to it.  My experience is that the radiologists when feeling less than 99.9% certain tend to make some comment on the report such as "nonspecific shadowing that is probably benign or artifact but cannot rule out other problems such as polyps, stones, and/or malignancy." No one suggested to me "a three month follow-up and/or biopsy." 

Was your cancer preceded by an imaging study that showed a polyp and suggested simply waiting?  I haven't researched polyps, but somehow I think Pete will. Like all people with cancer, having been struck by that cancer lightning bolt, I now worry about it again at times.

(maybe more sensitive at moment since getting CEA tomorrow. I'm keenly aware that CEA's haven't come out so well lately for folks)

Norm
  • westie66
    Options
    Kimo Sabe said:

Gall bladder polyp
    Cheryl

That information has knocked me out of my comfort zone. I tend to sometimes judge how serious something is based on other people's reaction to it.  My experience is that the radiologists when feeling less than 99.9% certain tend to make some comment on the report such as "nonspecific shadowing that is probably benign or artifact but cannot rule out other problems such as polyps, stones, and/or malignancy." No one suggested to me "a three month follow-up and/or biopsy." 

Was your cancer preceded by an imaging study that showed a polyp and suggested simply waiting?  I haven't researched polyps, but somehow I think Pete will. Like all people with cancer, having been struck by that cancer lightning bolt, I now worry about it again at times.

(maybe more sensitive at moment since getting CEA tomorrow. I'm keenly aware that CEA's haven't come out so well lately for folks)

Norm

Gallbladder Polyp
    Hi: I'm the same way - every new pain or strange feeling automatically terrifies me!

In October 2009 I had a complete physical. My blood test showed elevated liver enzymes. My GP is fabulous and very conscientious so she ordered an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a "non specific shadowing between the gallbladder and the liver" that could be a tumour or not. I was immediately sent to a gallbladder surgeon who scheduled surgery (April 2009). He said if it was a tumour, he would remove it with the gallbladder and have it tested for malignancy. Unfortunately he did the surgery as day surgery laparoscopically which was kind of a lot for that type of surgery. I ended up back in emergency the next morning with internal bleeding and ended up with more surgery and in a coma for 4 days and then spent another 6 days in intensive care. I had had no symptoms whatsoever. The second surgeon observed several nodules on the peritoneum which are cancerous. I have had 24 treatments of chemotherapy to try to control these nodules. That's the problem with gallbladder cancer - not only is it rare but it also spreads easily to other parts of the abdomen. There are usually no symptoms. So, to me, a polyp is always something to be looked at. Not sure how else it could be looked at except laparoscopically - would an MRI or CT scan be able to penetrate the liver or could it be viewed from the back?

My oncologist doesn't believe in testing CEA - wish he did so I would have a number to talk about! I did have CA-19 and CA125 done and they were fine.

Pete - I sincerely hope it is nothing! And I'm sure that it is nothing to worry about - but get it checked.

Cheryl
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    Options
    westie66 said:

Gallbladder Polyp
    Hi: I'm the same way - every new pain or strange feeling automatically terrifies me!

In October 2009 I had a complete physical. My blood test showed elevated liver enzymes. My GP is fabulous and very conscientious so she ordered an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a "non specific shadowing between the gallbladder and the liver" that could be a tumour or not. I was immediately sent to a gallbladder surgeon who scheduled surgery (April 2009). He said if it was a tumour, he would remove it with the gallbladder and have it tested for malignancy. Unfortunately he did the surgery as day surgery laparoscopically which was kind of a lot for that type of surgery. I ended up back in emergency the next morning with internal bleeding and ended up with more surgery and in a coma for 4 days and then spent another 6 days in intensive care. I had had no symptoms whatsoever. The second surgeon observed several nodules on the peritoneum which are cancerous. I have had 24 treatments of chemotherapy to try to control these nodules. That's the problem with gallbladder cancer - not only is it rare but it also spreads easily to other parts of the abdomen. There are usually no symptoms. So, to me, a polyp is always something to be looked at. Not sure how else it could be looked at except laparoscopically - would an MRI or CT scan be able to penetrate the liver or could it be viewed from the back?

My oncologist doesn't believe in testing CEA - wish he did so I would have a number to talk about! I did have CA-19 and CA125 done and they were fine.

Pete - I sincerely hope it is nothing! And I'm sure that it is nothing to worry about - but get it checked.

Cheryl

thanks you dear cheryl
    well another day, another test and the game changes, based on the latest result.
    see my post about clear pet, two days after the ultrasound of the abdo.

the ultrasound was interesting , cheap and easy and a good baseline.
    will redo it and a couple of months. i goto love this german onc herzog who has been emailing me, great doctor, suggested the ultrasound. so i suggested it and the surgeons and oncs said oh thats a good idea.

my tip, if you got the time and its covered by doctors and it suits, see more doctors. i take in all they say like a sponge.

watchful waiting for the time being, while i do a few bits and pieces on the alternative side. now that has to be the understatement of the century.

this approach is based on having 2 surgeons and 2 onc review the ultrasound and my current pet.

hugs,
    pete
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    Options

cheryl, i will get it looked at laparoscopically
    i will ask for surgery to check it out.
    i will see what onc and surgeons say.
    thankyou sincerely for sharing your experience.

got my pet tomorrow 7am.

hugs,
    pete

update, they would not do it
    i asked, they said it cannot be the gallbladder, so i hope they are correct.
  • westie66
    Options

thanks you dear cheryl
    well another day, another test and the game changes, based on the latest result.
    see my post about clear pet, two days after the ultrasound of the abdo.

the ultrasound was interesting , cheap and easy and a good baseline.
    will redo it and a couple of months. i goto love this german onc herzog who has been emailing me, great doctor, suggested the ultrasound. so i suggested it and the surgeons and oncs said oh thats a good idea.

my tip, if you got the time and its covered by doctors and it suits, see more doctors. i take in all they say like a sponge.

watchful waiting for the time being, while i do a few bits and pieces on the alternative side. now that has to be the understatement of the century.

this approach is based on having 2 surgeons and 2 onc review the ultrasound and my current pet.

hugs,
    pete

Excellent!
    That is great, Pete! I'm so happy. You don't want this road for sure. The hemangioma on my liver has been reinterpreted as a possible tumour so I get a new and different test week - take a blood sample, separate out the red blood cells, reinject them back into the liver with a bit of nuclear material. Sounds wonderful! Apparently tumours won't light up (opposite to a PET scan?). If it is a tumour, the government here won't approve more treatment as I already have mets to the peritoneum. Crazy I know! Of course I'll fight that!
    Cheryl
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    Options
    westie66 said:

Excellent!
    That is great, Pete! I'm so happy. You don't want this road for sure. The hemangioma on my liver has been reinterpreted as a possible tumour so I get a new and different test week - take a blood sample, separate out the red blood cells, reinject them back into the liver with a bit of nuclear material. Sounds wonderful! Apparently tumours won't light up (opposite to a PET scan?). If it is a tumour, the government here won't approve more treatment as I already have mets to the peritoneum. Crazy I know! Of course I'll fight that!
    Cheryl

fight it
    thats just nuts about them not approving more treatment,

if the issue is money try my approach,

if you need the money just find a bank with lazy security guards.

even i get caught taking out alot more money than i have in my account,

what are they going to do to me, give me a life sentence.

we gotta have a few more advantages in having mcrc.

sorry but i am a little bit out their tonight , the pressure is getting to me.

i just hope your liver is clear my dear.

the peritoneum mets are enough.

hugs,
    Pete
  • westie66
    Options

fight it
    thats just nuts about them not approving more treatment,

if the issue is money try my approach,

if you need the money just find a bank with lazy security guards.

even i get caught taking out alot more money than i have in my account,

what are they going to do to me, give me a life sentence.

we gotta have a few more advantages in having mcrc.

sorry but i am a little bit out their tonight , the pressure is getting to me.

i just hope your liver is clear my dear.

the peritoneum mets are enough.

hugs,
    Pete

Thanks, Pete.
    Hi there: Oh yes, I"ll fight that for sure. I don't go down easily. Just read a post on another discussion thread about having surgeries rather than chemo and I'm thinking along those lines. Trouble with living in a country with a small population and mostly a socialized system of medicine (which is great, don't get me wrong), you can't change doctors easily as there aren't that many (we are so short of doctors in Ontario that 1 million people don't have a family doctor!), and there are very few places that specialize in cancer. In London (ON) where I am, we supposedly have one of the best in the country. But they are so busy. I was at the cancer centre yesterday, and it was standing room only (and it is a huge huge place). I waited 3 hours for my appointment and the oncologist was very frazzled. This centre serves a big part of Ontario which is crazy! We see ads all the time in the papers and on tv from American hospitals offering good deals on surgery, etc.! Even the Mayo Clinic (we can get special insurance for the Mayo Clinic).
    I'll keep posted on the tests next week. They are 3 hours but don't sound so bad. More radioactive material - yeah!
    Cheryl