husband had surgery week ago yesterday for colorectal cancer that met to liver. first diagnosis was

Options
surgeon said he got all of the cancer on the liver, was wondering what to expect next,
have app. with oncoligist tomarrow.

Comments

• rlridings
    rlridings Member Posts: 42
    Options
    hope for best
    here's hoping they got it - the oncologist will recommend further chemo probably - then wait for clean scans - have him read up on diet and exercise to help prevent recurrence
  • mimi k
    mimi k Member Posts: 6
    Options
    rlridings said:

hope for best
    here's hoping they got it - the oncologist will recommend further chemo probably - then wait for clean scans - have him read up on diet and exercise to help prevent recurrence

next round of chemo
    the oncologist did recomend further chemo, hopefully it won't have to many side effects
    you mentioned diet ,can your recomend where to find some good informatio on that, I heard
    some people talk about juicing and was wondering about that, my husband has never been big on eating alot of vegtables, mostly meat and potato man.Any information would be greatly appreciated.
  • rlridings
    rlridings Member Posts: 42
    Options
    mimi k said:

next round of chemo
    the oncologist did recomend further chemo, hopefully it won't have to many side effects
    you mentioned diet ,can your recomend where to find some good informatio on that, I heard
    some people talk about juicing and was wondering about that, my husband has never been big on eating alot of vegtables, mostly meat and potato man.Any information would be greatly appreciated.

diet
    there has been plenty of back and forth on this site about how to manage recurrence - but everything I see seems to agree that eating is important - anti oxidants- fruits and veggies is key - also exercise - clear corelation between exercise and non recurrence - great video on eating here: http://spoken-gems.com/2010/07/21/donald-abrams-nutrition-and-cancer/
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    mimi k said:

next round of chemo

Please be careful with anti-oxidants while on chemo
    Please be careful with anti-oxidants and supplements while on chemo. Many of the anti-oxidants diminish the effects of the chemo, and while good for you at other times, are actually bad for you during chemo (green tea, and lots of blueberries comes to mind.)

There is an excellent series of videos on the MSKCC.org website under Integrative Medicine regarding supplements and botanicals during chemo - well worth the hour or so to watch and learn. http://www.mskcc.org/multimedia/herbs-botanicals-and-supplements-during-treatment

Wishing you the best,
    Alice
  • mimi k
    mimi k Member Posts: 6
    Options
    abrub said:

Please be careful with anti-oxidants and supplements while on chemo. Many of the anti-oxidants diminish the effects of the chemo, and while good for you at other times, are actually bad for you during chemo (green tea, and lots of blueberries comes to mind.)

There is an excellent series of videos on the MSKCC.org website under Integrative Medicine regarding supplements and botanicals during chemo - well worth the hour or so to watch and learn. http://www.mskcc.org/multimedia/herbs-botanicals-and-supplements-during-treatment

Wishing you the best,
    Alice

thank you for the information
    I will diffently watch the vidio, my husband had a rough time recovering from the last surgery and had just got back alot of his energy and felt good.He was very depressed about the news of the met to his liver. So he was very depressed with the news of more chemo. So
    I am trying to help him any way I can. I do appreciate any help anyone may have.
  • annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Options
    abrub said:

Wishing you the best,
    Alice

Sloan-Kettering
    is definitely a great resource for alternative stuff. Lots of links to studies as well, if you want to see the science. Btw, Alice, thanks for the advice on getting off the pain meds. I'm using your technique, which while not exactly fun, seems to be working (sorry for the mini-hijacking!). Ann
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

Sloan-Kettering
    is definitely a great resource for alternative stuff. Lots of links to studies as well, if you want to see the science. Btw, Alice, thanks for the advice on getting off the pain meds. I'm using your technique, which while not exactly fun, seems to be working (sorry for the mini-hijacking!). Ann

Slow and Steady...
    Ann, slow and steady, while frustrating, is a lot easier on your body. I had to set reminders to take my pills, and cursed at every one until I could throw away the bottle. However, no jitters, no nausea, no other withdrawal symptoms. Just another one of the joys of cancer...

Alice