Surgeon appt update

Options
Texasgirl10
Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668
My appt didn't go the way I had planned. My surgeon says I'm just not ready for reconstruction right now. We did schedule it for April 3 though. But if my body is not strong enough she wil postpone it again. I've had some chest lymphadema & she wants it gone before shell do the surgery. Also, I have to lose 10 pounds of belly fat prior to the surgery. This I'm not understanding b/c I only weigh 135 lbs to begin with so there isn't much to lose. And this one is the hard part... I have to quit smoking before she'll do it. I know I should have already stopped, but all of my Drs kept telling me not to so that I didn't put my body under any more stress. Well now this dr has picked a fine time to tell me this. I just don't know how I'm going to quit this habit. I'm truly addicted to cigarettes & I even wake up in the middle of the night to go outside to smoke. I don't smoke in the house or vehicles & my husband does not smoke. Oh I truly don't know how I'm going to do this, but if I want breasts I'm gonna have to. Y'all please pray for me b/c I really really want this set of girls on my chest.

Thank you all for riding the pink bus to Texas today. I hope you enjoyed our sunshiny 73 degrees today :)

Hugs,

Dawne

Comments

• AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    Options
    Wow
    Dawne,
    I am a former smoker. Quit about 2 yrs. ago after my BC diagnosis. It wasn't hard for me to do this time. I "quit" several times before. I still want one every once in a while.
    First, think about the Chantix. It might really help you. Keep a record of when you smoke and the circumstances (found out mine was more mental thing than actual cravings), cut straws or get those stirers to use if you really want something to do with your hands, get sugar free hard candys to replace the cigarette. Drink lots of water. Just like with chemo it helps flush out the nicotine. It's not easy but you can do it. Guess my diagnosis scared me enough to quit. I hope this helps.

Janie
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    AMomNETN said:

Wow
    Dawne,
    I am a former smoker. Quit about 2 yrs. ago after my BC diagnosis. It wasn't hard for me to do this time. I "quit" several times before. I still want one every once in a while.
    First, think about the Chantix. It might really help you. Keep a record of when you smoke and the circumstances (found out mine was more mental thing than actual cravings), cut straws or get those stirers to use if you really want something to do with your hands, get sugar free hard candys to replace the cigarette. Drink lots of water. Just like with chemo it helps flush out the nicotine. It's not easy but you can do it. Guess my diagnosis scared me enough to quit. I hope this helps.

Janie

Sending hugs, Dawn
    That had to be hard to hear. We'll support you every step of the way. Please don't be too hard on yourself about this. Ask for help, in any shape or form.

I'm married to a chimney. He doesn't smoke in the house, vehicles or around me, but he is so addicted that it effects our time together, what we can do, where we can go (this is California). He can't enjoy time in a restaurant together or any social event that is indoors. When we travel in the car, we have to stop every 2 hours so he can have a cigarette. He refuses to fly. He is absolutely miserable. Plus, here in California people look at smokers like they're pond scum and he's not, doggone it. I'm telling you this because I wonder if you know how your husband feels and how your smoking effects your marriage and family. I bet you'll get a whole lot more than new boobs if you're successful. You'll never know how good life can be without cigarettes unless you try it - for a while at least.

Love,

Suzanne
    (also a former smoker who quit 20 years ago)
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    My 2 Cents
    Dawne,

I hope you are able to stop smoking. Here is the funny part, after I was diagnosed the second time with cancer and was going through some other stresses in my life I actually started. I don't smoke much but I'm sure I shouldn't. Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know I never had reconstruction. They asked me and I said I would never want to go under the knife again unless I had to. Well I ended up having to and it was to remove more cancer five years later so I'm glad I didn't personally. I would have lost it again with the second surgery. You should get it if that is what you want. I'm just saying there is another option.

Terry
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Options
    Quitting smoking
    is not an easy thing to do. I quit about 11 years ago. I did it with the help of Wellbutrin which is an anti depressant. I had a lot of determination and actually quit in less time than the dr. had told me I would. I feel that you can only quit if you really want to it doesn't matter what anyone tells you.
    I have a friend who just quit a couple of weeks ago and she is using one of those electronic cigarettes with no nicotene.

Good Luck,
    Hugs,
    Georgia
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    I'm confused...I thought
    I'm confused...I thought they wanted you to put on a little belly fat before the surgery? Now they want it gone? I don't get it...

Drink lots of water and no salt for the LE, along with your massages of course. I don't have any advice on the smoking, but you have my full support!

Hugs,

Linda
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Never smoked
    Never smoked but 5 cigs in my life. But I would have had a hard time quitting coffee as addicted as I was. I did in fact quit coffee though while in chemo as I think it had to do with the steroids for antinausea.

I would do either the wellbutrin or the chantix. I think the chantix may also have some effect on mental health. Here is why I am thinking this. You have already been through the wringer with bc. That alone is enough to depress you. So if you temporarily used Wellbutrin to quit smoking, you would also know if it worked in case you someday in the future needed it for depression.

I am not sure all doctors understand how an addictive substance can hard wire your brain into needing the substance. As far as I am concerned the tobacco industry is just a legalized drug pusher as they have laced the cigs with further addictive substances each time thier sales decreased. And now I will get off my soapbox. I will be praying for you.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

I'm confused...I thought
    I'm confused...I thought they wanted you to put on a little belly fat before the surgery? Now they want it gone? I don't get it...

Drink lots of water and no salt for the LE, along with your massages of course. I don't have any advice on the smoking, but you have my full support!

Hugs,

Linda

I don't understand why they
    I don't understand why they would want you to lose weight either. I understand the not smoking, but, the weight?

Sending you hugs!

Kylez
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Never smoked
    Never smoked but 5 cigs in my life. But I would have had a hard time quitting coffee as addicted as I was. I did in fact quit coffee though while in chemo as I think it had to do with the steroids for antinausea.

I would do either the wellbutrin or the chantix. I think the chantix may also have some effect on mental health. Here is why I am thinking this. You have already been through the wringer with bc. That alone is enough to depress you. So if you temporarily used Wellbutrin to quit smoking, you would also know if it worked in case you someday in the future needed it for depression.

I am not sure all doctors understand how an addictive substance can hard wire your brain into needing the substance. As far as I am concerned the tobacco industry is just a legalized drug pusher as they have laced the cigs with further addictive substances each time thier sales decreased. And now I will get off my soapbox. I will be praying for you.

I know how excited
    I know how excited you were with another post.Couldn't wait to get the reconstruction.I'm sorry you have to wait.It is a let down. Hope things work out in April.

Smoking is bad. I never smoked but my husband does.He don't get it.He goes outside and to the basement but evey chance he gets he lights up one in our living room when I am in the back of the house.I get upset.Like Suzann's husband mine will go outside the car while we are shopping but the smell is bad when he gets back in the car.That's just the scent and not the smoke from what my doctor says. I didn't mind but I do now.I want to protect my body from getting lung cancer.

For your weight that is not overweight at all.I used to be 135 lbs.I looked good.I lost weight after a traumatic event(also think it was partly the cause of my cancer dx) and now I only weigh 117. I am short(5 foot) but I want to look healthy. I don't with this weight loss.Even people say "Are you sick?? Then I get stressed when they say that.I remember also when I gained that weight and kept if for over 10 years I was big breasted.I want that back now more than anything but like my doctor said my left side will never be the same.I don't think you will need to lose much.Even if a little it would probably be OK with your doctor. If you must loose than I wish you luck on that and try to quit smoking.Keep us informed.

Be careful if you quit the smoking.I rememeber going off caffeine coke cold turkey. I had no idea it is like a addiction.WOW I had heart problems.I take meds but my meds weren't lasting 24 hours.My heart raced.I am sure with the nocotine you could have withdrawel.Better check with your doctor or you will have another medical problem.

I have my fingers crossed hings to get better for you in April.Hope more than anything you will be able to get the reconstruction surgery.

Lynn Smith
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    mom62 said:

My 2 Cents
    Dawne,

I hope you are able to stop smoking. Here is the funny part, after I was diagnosed the second time with cancer and was going through some other stresses in my life I actually started. I don't smoke much but I'm sure I shouldn't. Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know I never had reconstruction. They asked me and I said I would never want to go under the knife again unless I had to. Well I ended up having to and it was to remove more cancer five years later so I'm glad I didn't personally. I would have lost it again with the second surgery. You should get it if that is what you want. I'm just saying there is another option.

Terry

I hope you can quit smoking
    I hope you can quit smoking Dawne. I know it is very hard to do. Ask your doctor for some help if you can't go cold turkey. There are several things out there now that may help you.

Hugs, Jan
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

Sending hugs, Dawn
    That had to be hard to hear. We'll support you every step of the way. Please don't be too hard on yourself about this. Ask for help, in any shape or form.

I'm married to a chimney. He doesn't smoke in the house, vehicles or around me, but he is so addicted that it effects our time together, what we can do, where we can go (this is California). He can't enjoy time in a restaurant together or any social event that is indoors. When we travel in the car, we have to stop every 2 hours so he can have a cigarette. He refuses to fly. He is absolutely miserable. Plus, here in California people look at smokers like they're pond scum and he's not, doggone it. I'm telling you this because I wonder if you know how your husband feels and how your smoking effects your marriage and family. I bet you'll get a whole lot more than new boobs if you're successful. You'll never know how good life can be without cigarettes unless you try it - for a while at least.

Love,

Suzanne
    (also a former smoker who quit 20 years ago)

I am sorry Dawne that your
    I am sorry Dawne that your surgery got delayed. I know how upset you are and I am so very sorry.

I smoked and I admit it wasn't easy to quit, but, I am so glad that I did. I quit when I had bronchitis, which made it kind of easy, since I couldn't breathe hardly and all I did was cough. You can do it!

Now, how about a big hug?

(((((((Dawne )))))))

Sue :)
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    Weight?
    Hi,

I understand the lymphedema that the surgeon would like to have it under control. Why the weight?

Is it possible to find another surgeon for a 2nd opinion on all this?

73 degrees for me right now would be paradise.

Wishing you well in all of this.

Doris
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    SIROD said:

Weight?
    Hi,

I understand the lymphedema that the surgeon would like to have it under control. Why the weight?

Is it possible to find another surgeon for a 2nd opinion on all this?

73 degrees for me right now would be paradise.

Wishing you well in all of this.

Doris

I am sorry that you can't
    I am sorry that you can't have your surgery as scheduled in April. This is a huge disappointment. I understand they lymphedema and the not smoking, but, the weight? You don't weigh that much. Like the others, could you get a 2nd opinion?

You are always so supportive to all of the pink sisters on here Dawne, that I pray that somehow we can get you through this.

Hugs, Megan
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Megan M said:

I am sorry that you can't
    I am sorry that you can't have your surgery as scheduled in April. This is a huge disappointment. I understand they lymphedema and the not smoking, but, the weight? You don't weigh that much. Like the others, could you get a 2nd opinion?

You are always so supportive to all of the pink sisters on here Dawne, that I pray that somehow we can get you through this.

Hugs, Megan

I dont get the weight thing
    I dont get the weight thing as you dont weigh very much. But when I had the start of reconstruction (did not continue long story) the PS absolutely would not operate on anyone who smoked.Smoking narrows the blood vessels and decreases the blood supply to the wounds. Inhibits healing and prob the outcome. I know people where smoking is very hard to quit, and I am sorry, but it is the singularly most important thing you can do for your health. It affects you from a cardiovascular standpoint and a cancer standpoint. It used to be believed that it contributes to recurrence, dont know if this still holds true. What I am trying to say is to attack it from the viewpoint that you are taking care of yourself, not denying yourself. I do this with exersize which I dislike, but I know it can prolong my life. It also increases my sense of well being (although I still hate it haha) I am sure former smokers can weigh in on how this can be done. Use us for support we care and want you to be well!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    AMomNETN said:

Wow
    Dawne,

Janie

I am really hoping that you
    I am really hoping that you will be able to still have your surgery in April. Sending big hugs and lots of support!
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    carkris said:

I dont get the weight thing
    I dont get the weight thing as you dont weigh very much. But when I had the start of reconstruction (did not continue long story) the PS absolutely would not operate on anyone who smoked.Smoking narrows the blood vessels and decreases the blood supply to the wounds. Inhibits healing and prob the outcome. I know people where smoking is very hard to quit, and I am sorry, but it is the singularly most important thing you can do for your health. It affects you from a cardiovascular standpoint and a cancer standpoint. It used to be believed that it contributes to recurrence, dont know if this still holds true. What I am trying to say is to attack it from the viewpoint that you are taking care of yourself, not denying yourself. I do this with exersize which I dislike, but I know it can prolong my life. It also increases my sense of well being (although I still hate it haha) I am sure former smokers can weigh in on how this can be done. Use us for support we care and want you to be well!

I've been thinking of you
    I've been thinking of you Dawne and wondering how you are doing with the smoking. I hope you're well. Check in with us when you can.

Hugs, Megan