New to Board; about to start chemo

Options
2»

Comments

• Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Welcome Sherry
    You've gotten all the basics except I might have missed the "drink water" rule. Drink as much as you possibly can for the days after chemo. I try to have many different items on hand that I can just grab to eat. Chemo can cause what I call "metal mouth" ( a metallic taste that alters the what foods you might enjoy for a few days ). Please give in to all the sleep and rest that your body needs for several days after and OH... if you're feeling weak, please have someone in the house while you shower... we'll be here if you need us.
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • Cafewoman53
    Cafewoman53 Member Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    You've gotten great advice
    Everyone has covered just about everything. Get a notepad and write down questions for your dr if I don't I always forget. And after chemo food usually has a metallic taste using plastic silverware helps a little and I found salty foods tasted better. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
    Colleen
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options

You've gotten great advice
    Everyone has covered just about everything. Get a notepad and write down questions for your dr if I don't I always forget. And after chemo food usually has a metallic taste using plastic silverware helps a little and I found salty foods tasted better. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
    Colleen

Looks like you have a lot of
    Looks like you have a lot of good advice. Your hair will probably fall out 2 weeks after your first taxol treatment. If you plan on wearing a wig, go pick it out soon as sometimes, you have to order & wait for it. If you want to go with wearing scarves, there are web sites with lots of head coverings--scarves need some kind of foundation cap to keep the scarf from slipping off your head.

Neuropathy can be a real problem in some people. Neuropathy may possibly be prevented by taking vitamin B6 50mg/day. My oncologist was OK with me taking B6 and I think you would want to check with your oncologist if you decide to take vitamin B6.

I also took alpha lipoic acid 200mg 2-3 times/day but not on the same day as chemo. This natural supplement is also known to treat neuropathy and it is fat soluble so it is best absorbed when taken with a meal. I think it is easier to prevent neuropathy than try to reverse it.
  • poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    carolenk said:

Looks like you have a lot of
    Looks like you have a lot of good advice. Your hair will probably fall out 2 weeks after your first taxol treatment. If you plan on wearing a wig, go pick it out soon as sometimes, you have to order & wait for it. If you want to go with wearing scarves, there are web sites with lots of head coverings--scarves need some kind of foundation cap to keep the scarf from slipping off your head.

Neuropathy can be a real problem in some people. Neuropathy may possibly be prevented by taking vitamin B6 50mg/day. My oncologist was OK with me taking B6 and I think you would want to check with your oncologist if you decide to take vitamin B6.

I also took alpha lipoic acid 200mg 2-3 times/day but not on the same day as chemo. This natural supplement is also known to treat neuropathy and it is fat soluble so it is best absorbed when taken with a meal. I think it is easier to prevent neuropathy than try to reverse it.

welcome to the board
    I would pack a little snack and some Gaterade. My chemo nursed wanted me to drink while I was getting chemo. Also bring a blanket and you Ipod or smart phone. If you are like me you will doze from the benadryl you get,,then steriods,,,you will feel like running around. If you have joint and bone pain make sure to get something for it. Maybe have someone drive you home the first few times..Get a lot of rest and when get up from your bed sit first and dangle your legs for a few minutes. Good luck on your first round and let us know if you have questions....val
  • txtrisha55
    txtrisha55 Member Posts: 693 Member
    Options

Hi Sherry,
    Dear Kathleen...thank you so much for your post. Having this connection with gals who have been through it, and who are willing to share information, is great! Amazing how much support one feels with this network. I'm have six chemo sessions with the same medications. Start on Feb 2. If you can share info about getting a port and what that day was like, it would also be appreciated. I totally agree about the pipes...have to keep movement going. Thanks for the tips. I'm keeping notes...most have indicated milk of magnesia, so I'm going to use that. Doc gave me perscription for softeners after surgery, but quite frankly prunes seem to work better. Just too much sugar, but will use if necessary. Milk of Magnesia seems to be generally effective. Thanks again and for your well wishes. To you too...Sherry

Port.
    Sherry, I am in Texas and I was dx with MMMT uterine cancer. I had surgery back in April 11 and had my port installed at the end of April. If you have ever had a colonoscopy then the same medicine they give for that is what they gave me for the surgery. Your awake but not really and then they shot deadening in around where they were cutting to install the port. It was two small cuts one on the collar bone area and one about two inches below that. Closed with surgical tape, which slowing pealed off. I got to port installed on a Friday and the next Friday I started the chemo treatment of carbo/taxol. The tape had not yet fallen off and the nurse accessed the port through the tape. It has been since Aug 11 since I have been NED (no evidence of disease) and I get the port flushed every 4 weeks. Now it just looks like a big boil on my chest. It does not hurt unless my grandson runs into me while sitting on the floor with him playing. Milk of Magnesia is what my chemo nurse told me to take that and eat prunes. Sorry to hear that another lady is being affected by cancer and having to go through this journey. There is a lot of information on the discussion boards even the ones that do not deal with the type of cancer you have. Many cross over to different sites. Good Luck with the installation of your port and the first chemo treatment. trish, a peach sister.
  • sherryfaust
    sherryfaust Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Finished first round of chemo Report
    Thanks to all who replied to my post. You are a great support group. I finished first round of chemo last Thursday. Here's my report. All went according to prediction, and advice was very good. I also read every scrap of info given to me, and that I could find on line. Followed all my doctor and chemo nurses told me to do. To start I had the port installed. I felt nothing from beginning of surgery to end. The "cocktail" given, put me to sleep and that was it, except for healing itching. Port was prepared with an access pigtail, which the chemo nurses liked a lot. I had first chemo the next morning with a 5 hour duration for all meds. Pre meds first, including Benedryl, and I was dozing for the first couple of hours. No reaction during infusion to the Taxol. Then came carboplatin. No reaction during infusion. Nurses were thrilled. Later that day had the Taxol flush. Friday was a work day and felt fine. Saturday was OK too. Sunday it hit hard with nausea, bone and joint aches, headache, and generally felt lousy. Monday was a lighter repeat. Took nausea meds, tylenol, L-Glutamine and B6 as directed by MD, as well as calcium magnesium supplement. It was so bad Sunday night I took a heavier pain medication once, which I hate due to constipation. For whatever reason, these meds also do not let me sleep - just sort of doze. It may have helped, but it was still pretty miserable and I didn't sleep much Sunday night. Did take cal-mag and stool softner, as well as ate 5 prunes (seem to work best for me), which did handle the constipation. Last night I ate prunes, took cal-mag and Tylenol PM, and slept well. Today, Tuesday, I feel like a different person. Little tingling in the extermities, but that's all. I am still taking tylenol, L Glutamine & B6. So far haven't needed nausea meds today. Sunday, I could not stand the smell of my low glycemic foods (no or low carbs, high protein & veggies). Sunday I had banana, bread and milk, cereal, Greek yogurt & jello. Usually do not eat high carb foods. These were all I could tolerate. Today I'm back to my usual. So now I know what to expect, and that it may accumulate. It's not fun, but it is tolerable with knowledge, meds and sleep. I also shaved off my hair, to remain causative rather than experience the trauma of hair falling out. I decided I'd have fun with new hair colors and styles, and I am! It sure takes a lot less time to get ready to go someplace. :) Thanks again so much for all the support. I hope this detailed report will help someone else who is about to go on this journey. Best, Sherry
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options

Thanks to all who replied to my post. You are a great support group. I finished first round of chemo last Thursday. Here's my report. All went according to prediction, and advice was very good. I also read every scrap of info given to me, and that I could find on line. Followed all my doctor and chemo nurses told me to do. To start I had the port installed. I felt nothing from beginning of surgery to end. The "cocktail" given, put me to sleep and that was it, except for healing itching. Port was prepared with an access pigtail, which the chemo nurses liked a lot. I had first chemo the next morning with a 5 hour duration for all meds. Pre meds first, including Benedryl, and I was dozing for the first couple of hours. No reaction during infusion to the Taxol. Then came carboplatin. No reaction during infusion. Nurses were thrilled. Later that day had the Taxol flush. Friday was a work day and felt fine. Saturday was OK too. Sunday it hit hard with nausea, bone and joint aches, headache, and generally felt lousy. Monday was a lighter repeat. Took nausea meds, tylenol, L-Glutamine and B6 as directed by MD, as well as calcium magnesium supplement. It was so bad Sunday night I took a heavier pain medication once, which I hate due to constipation. For whatever reason, these meds also do not let me sleep - just sort of doze. It may have helped, but it was still pretty miserable and I didn't sleep much Sunday night. Did take cal-mag and stool softner, as well as ate 5 prunes (seem to work best for me), which did handle the constipation. Last night I ate prunes, took cal-mag and Tylenol PM, and slept well. Today, Tuesday, I feel like a different person. Little tingling in the extermities, but that's all. I am still taking tylenol, L Glutamine & B6. So far haven't needed nausea meds today. Sunday, I could not stand the smell of my low glycemic foods (no or low carbs, high protein & veggies). Sunday I had banana, bread and milk, cereal, Greek yogurt & jello. Usually do not eat high carb foods. These were all I could tolerate. Today I'm back to my usual. So now I know what to expect, and that it may accumulate. It's not fun, but it is tolerable with knowledge, meds and sleep. I also shaved off my hair, to remain causative rather than experience the trauma of hair falling out. I decided I'd have fun with new hair colors and styles, and I am! It sure takes a lot less time to get ready to go someplace. :) Thanks again so much for all the support. I hope this detailed report will help someone else who is about to go on this journey. Best, Sherry

Dear Sherry
    That was a great report on what it is like to go through chemo for anyone that is just starting out. Congrats on getting through it so well. Are you getting steroids with your chemo to ward off allergic reactions? Those can cause sleeping problems. I can tell that you are going to be a real "trooper". Way to go, girl...... (((HUGS))) Maria
  • snuggs
    snuggs Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Wow, seems you and I are
    Wow, seems you and I are first timers and like you am somewhat apprehensive. This is the first time i got on this site. Hope all goes well for you.
  • anicca
    anicca Member Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Dear Sherry,
    I was out of

Dear Sherry,

I was out of town from 1/22 till late on the 27th. I had my iPhone, but no computer, so I didn't check the board and didn't see your reply until today. I'm so glad things went well for you!

I didn't have a port. My veins held up pretty well, and I had all but one chemo treatments in my left arm. You are on the same schedule I was on! I chose Thursday after I found that I could make it to Sunday evening before collapsing. Most of my work is on Fri, Sat, and Sun, so it allowed me to keep working throughout. I completely gave up trying to eat any particular foods, and just ate what I could. I had coffee, a hard scrambled egg, and a piece of high fiber toast with bitter marmalade every morning. It wasn't much, but I really enjoyed it. I was also able to eat avocado, and tuna salad, but had been warned against eating anything raw that I didn't prepare myself, as my white count would drop (which it did, but not dangerously.) Things I couldn't stand were anything smoked or BBQ'ed, which I normally love!

I did the same as you re my hair. First I cut it very short, and then, as soon as it started to fall out, off with it all! I highly recommend buying some wig tape for when you really don't even have fuzz. Also, I learned on this board that you can get eyebrow stencils, which really help once you have no eyebrows to follow. Finally, look for a "Look Good, Feel Better" seminar that you can go to. You will get a goody bag of some very nice cosmetics and instruction in applying them.

If your neuropathy begins to get very bad, it may be possible to lower the dosage of taxol a bit. That was done for me, and it did stop the progression of the neuropathy.

Hope all of your future treatments go so well as your first!

DB
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    snuggs said:

Wow, seems you and I are
    Wow, seems you and I are first timers and like you am somewhat apprehensive. This is the first time i got on this site. Hope all goes well for you.

Welcome Snuggs
    My experience wasn't quite as bad as described here. I didn't get the headache but felt kind of weepy for a few days after chemo.

Your chemo will be done before you know it and you & Sherry will be getting on with your lives again.
  • sherryfaust
    Options
    Mwee said:

Dear Sherry
    That was a great report on what it is like to go through chemo for anyone that is just starting out. Congrats on getting through it so well. Are you getting steroids with your chemo to ward off allergic reactions? Those can cause sleeping problems. I can tell that you are going to be a real "trooper". Way to go, girl...... (((HUGS))) Maria

Dear Sherry
    Thanks for reply and (((HUGS))))! Next chemo treatment tomorrow. Two blood draws last week. All normal. CA125 at 31. I'm looking forward to being done with this series. So far so good. Sherry
  • sherryfaust
    Options
    anicca said:

Dear Sherry,
    I was out of

Dear Sherry,

I was out of town from 1/22 till late on the 27th. I had my iPhone, but no computer, so I didn't check the board and didn't see your reply until today. I'm so glad things went well for you!

I didn't have a port. My veins held up pretty well, and I had all but one chemo treatments in my left arm. You are on the same schedule I was on! I chose Thursday after I found that I could make it to Sunday evening before collapsing. Most of my work is on Fri, Sat, and Sun, so it allowed me to keep working throughout. I completely gave up trying to eat any particular foods, and just ate what I could. I had coffee, a hard scrambled egg, and a piece of high fiber toast with bitter marmalade every morning. It wasn't much, but I really enjoyed it. I was also able to eat avocado, and tuna salad, but had been warned against eating anything raw that I didn't prepare myself, as my white count would drop (which it did, but not dangerously.) Things I couldn't stand were anything smoked or BBQ'ed, which I normally love!

I did the same as you re my hair. First I cut it very short, and then, as soon as it started to fall out, off with it all! I highly recommend buying some wig tape for when you really don't even have fuzz. Also, I learned on this board that you can get eyebrow stencils, which really help once you have no eyebrows to follow. Finally, look for a "Look Good, Feel Better" seminar that you can go to. You will get a goody bag of some very nice cosmetics and instruction in applying them.

If your neuropathy begins to get very bad, it may be possible to lower the dosage of taxol a bit. That was done for me, and it did stop the progression of the neuropathy.

Hope all of your future treatments go so well as your first!

DB

Dear Sherry, I was out
    Dear DB...thanks for reply and tips. Definitely want to handle the neuropathy. L-Glutamine seems to help, as well as B6. Tomorrow is second treatment. CA125 went from 103 before surgery, then to 91, now the last blood draw this week it's at 31. I'm encouraged and will keep persisting 'til all handled. Again thanks so much for support! Sherry
  • sherryfaust
    Options
    carolenk said:

Welcome Snuggs
    My experience wasn't quite as bad as described here. I didn't get the headache but felt kind of weepy for a few days after chemo.

Your chemo will be done before you know it and you & Sherry will be getting on with your lives again.

Welcome Snuggs
    Dear Carol and Snuggs...thanks for reply. Appreciate your communication and well wishes. Sherry