Can CT meds increase CA 125?

Options
Has anyone experienced CA 125 number increase after berium (sp) and iodine contrast used in CTs? This was the first time I had CA125 immediately following having a CT. My numbers more than doubled. The CT came back clear. I experienced tremendous bowel problems after drinking the "goop". It was as if I drank "go-litely" prep before a colonoscopy.
Doc said that the CA125 was very sensitive and didn't care if you had an UTI or any other infection or issues going on such as dehydration, etc.
Any thoughts?

TexanByChoice

Comments

• AnneBehymer
    AnneBehymer Member Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Did you get the memo it is not go litely anymore
    When I was in the hospital getting ready for my hystorectamy (?) the nurse said I am going to give you go litely and have put this movable toilet close to your bed. I said that is ok I am not that far from the bathroom I can make it (I had a privet room). She said oh no you will need this because when it hit IT REALLY HITS. I told her again really I am fine so she said ok but I will leave it here just in case and she then said if you get some on the bed or yourself don't feel bad it happens to most. I thought really you have to be kidding Me so off she went. Oh around thirty minutes I got this feeling and though ok I must need to go so I got up and well let say I did not make it to the moveable toilet that was really just right there, when I got off the bed I just had to turn around and sit down. I was so shoked I called for the nurse and she said it is ok don't be ashames again it happens to all. I then said well one of the problmes is you miss named it you should call it go lighting and then I would have know to just grab a pillow and sit on the chair all night and get some sleep.

Anne
  • TexanByChoice
    TexanByChoice Member Posts: 44
    Options

Did you get the memo it is not go litely anymore
    When I was in the hospital getting ready for my hystorectamy (?) the nurse said I am going to give you go litely and have put this movable toilet close to your bed. I said that is ok I am not that far from the bathroom I can make it (I had a privet room). She said oh no you will need this because when it hit IT REALLY HITS. I told her again really I am fine so she said ok but I will leave it here just in case and she then said if you get some on the bed or yourself don't feel bad it happens to most. I thought really you have to be kidding Me so off she went. Oh around thirty minutes I got this feeling and though ok I must need to go so I got up and well let say I did not make it to the moveable toilet that was really just right there, when I got off the bed I just had to turn around and sit down. I was so shoked I called for the nurse and she said it is ok don't be ashames again it happens to all. I then said well one of the problmes is you miss named it you should call it go lighting and then I would have know to just grab a pillow and sit on the chair all night and get some sleep.

Anne

Love the ladies of this discussion board
    Anne

I read your response and it was the best laughter I've had in days. Seriously ladies, I'm going to go room-to-room and look for the hidden cameras as I know you all are squirreled away in a location viewing each and every detail of my life. I guess having tis cancer is not the only thing we share...it's the little things along the way. .. only SICK (Ha! Ha!) folks like us can find the humor in some of the most weird events in our lives. It seems like when I read the posts, I'm shaking my head trying to recall when I wrote the comment. It's nice to know these things crop up in other peoples' lives too and I'm not being singled out for embarassing moments, not the only one facing fears...I'm among a group of wonderful ladies.

for the moment,let's all find something to laugh and smile about.

Shirley,
    TexanByChoice
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options

Love the ladies of this discussion board
    Anne

I read your response and it was the best laughter I've had in days. Seriously ladies, I'm going to go room-to-room and look for the hidden cameras as I know you all are squirreled away in a location viewing each and every detail of my life. I guess having tis cancer is not the only thing we share...it's the little things along the way. .. only SICK (Ha! Ha!) folks like us can find the humor in some of the most weird events in our lives. It seems like when I read the posts, I'm shaking my head trying to recall when I wrote the comment. It's nice to know these things crop up in other peoples' lives too and I'm not being singled out for embarassing moments, not the only one facing fears...I'm among a group of wonderful ladies.

for the moment,let's all find something to laugh and smile about.

Shirley,
    TexanByChoice

Gut inflammation
    CA-125 is NOT as sensitive as your doctor would have you believe. If you had a case of diarrhea, I think it could affect your test result--especially if your blood sample was taken after the scan.

CA-125 has a half life of 5-6 days so there's no point in checking it daily or even weekly. After a flare up, it takes about 3 weeks to stabilize if it was spiked by the gut inflammation. Time will tell. I'm hoping you at still in remission.
  • TexanByChoice
    TexanByChoice Member Posts: 44
    Options
    carolenk said:

Gut inflammation
    CA-125 is NOT as sensitive as your doctor would have you believe. If you had a case of diarrhea, I think it could affect your test result--especially if your blood sample was taken after the scan.

CA-125 has a half life of 5-6 days so there's no point in checking it daily or even weekly. After a flare up, it takes about 3 weeks to stabilize if it was spiked by the gut inflammation. Time will tell. I'm hoping you at still in remission.

Tank you for the insight
    That's what I like about this group. I'm hoping for better results later. Can someone explain why some folks get Petscans and others CTs. What's the difference?

As I did have my blood work up 15 mins. after I completed the CT and all that delicious drink, perhaps it made a difference. I'll find out on the 31st.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

TexanByChoice
  • AnneBehymer
    AnneBehymer Member Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Tank you for the insight
    That's what I like about this group. I'm hoping for better results later. Can someone explain why some folks get Petscans and others CTs. What's the difference?

As I did have my blood work up 15 mins. after I completed the CT and all that delicious drink, perhaps it made a difference. I'll find out on the 31st.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

TexanByChoice

just don't know
    I only get catscans my doctor has never offered a petscan. Now I have a question for you

if a catscan is when your cat get up on your chest and scans you then is a pet scan when all the animals in your house join the cat.

H-L-P
    Anne