book to read about cancer

Lisaepstein
Lisaepstein Member Posts: 62 Member
Does anyone know of any books to read after having breast cancer and uterus cancer? Any helpful books out there for me to read on breast cancer?

Thanks

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    No...
    Books to recommend, others, will more than likely have some....I would recommend staying away from anything written be Suzanne Somers....she's little more than a snake oil salesman, hawking her books and supplements..
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Many great books.
    Two of my favorites are "Anti Cancer A New Way Of Life" by David Servan-Schreiber, MD, PHD and The Biology of Belief by Bruce Lipton. Dr. Bernie Siegel has several great books like, "Love, Medicine, and Miracles".

Roseann
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Helpful Books
    My favorite remains "Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book" as it is basic and easy to read to understand breast cancer.

"Breast Cancer Survival Manual: A Step-by-Step Guide for the Woman With Newly Diagnosed Breast Cancer" by John Link

If you to Amazon, I am certain you will find some good books on the topic.

I did enjoy "Bathsheba's Breast: Women, Cancer, and History" by James Stuart Olson and "The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer" by Siddhartha Mukherje and "One Renegade Cell: How Cancer Begins" by Robert A. Weinberg. Two of these are fairly old though things have not change that much.

A good web page for breast or uterus cancer is Mayo Clinic or Merck Manual. In Google just put in "Breast cancer Mayo Clinic" or Uterus cancer Merck Manual and it should give the web pages.

Check your public library for these books as I am certain you could read them free.

Best wishes to you,

Doris
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    SIROD said:

Helpful Books
    My favorite remains "Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book" as it is basic and easy to read to understand breast cancer.

"Breast Cancer Survival Manual: A Step-by-Step Guide for the Woman With Newly Diagnosed Breast Cancer" by John Link

I did enjoy "Bathsheba's Breast: Women, Cancer, and History" by James Stuart Olson and "The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer" by Siddhartha Mukherje and "One Renegade Cell: How Cancer Begins" by Robert A. Weinberg. Two of these are fairly old though things have not change that much.

A good web page for breast or uterus cancer is Mayo Clinic or Merck Manual. In Google just put in "Breast cancer Mayo Clinic" or Uterus cancer Merck Manual and it should give the web pages.

Check your public library for these books as I am certain you could read them free.

Best wishes to you,

Doris

After breast cancer by
    After breast cancer by hester Hill Schnipper
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    carkris said:

After breast cancer by
    After breast cancer by hester Hill Schnipper

Should I read more about cancer?
    Good references, excellent authors, however I have not read any of those. Should I? I feel that I cannot. I have done a lot of research related to my situation, including original papers on estrogen receptors positive, nutrition and immune system, FDA, ASCO, NIH etc.
    My favorite websites Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, which has non-traditional and herbal component too plus video presentations and very good search function. I prefer this site over Mayo clinic site. National Cancer Institute at NIH has a very good website as well, including original research papers and info about clinical trials http://www.cancer.gov
    Simms/Mann UCLA center has made a significant improvement, now lectures are available on line.
  • Lisaepstein
    Lisaepstein Member Posts: 62 Member

Should I read more about cancer?
    Good references, excellent authors, however I have not read any of those. Should I? I feel that I cannot. I have done a lot of research related to my situation, including original papers on estrogen receptors positive, nutrition and immune system, FDA, ASCO, NIH etc.
    My favorite websites Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, which has non-traditional and herbal component too plus video presentations and very good search function. I prefer this site over Mayo clinic site. National Cancer Institute at NIH has a very good website as well, including original research papers and info about clinical trials http://www.cancer.gov
    Simms/Mann UCLA center has made a significant improvement, now lectures are available on line.

Thanks
    Thanks ladies I will try to buy some of these books , I do like to read so I might as well read a book that now I can relate to.
  • ozziechick
    ozziechick Member Posts: 1

Thanks
    Thanks ladies I will try to buy some of these books , I do like to read so I might as well read a book that now I can relate to.

Book on breast cancer
    Try "your life in your hands" by Professor Jane Plant
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    SIROD said:

Helpful Books

Best wishes to you,

Doris

My husband got the book How
    My husband got the book How to help your wife ( and yourself ) through diagnosis, treatment and beyond and it helped him to understand more what I was going through.

Jan
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    SIROD said:

Helpful Books

Best wishes to you,

Doris

Books on Advanced Breast Cancer
    The market is saturated with books about breast cancer covering the initial diagnose. There are so few books on Advanced Breast Cancer.

One was written by Musa Meyer in 1998 title: "Advanced Breast Cancer: A Guide to Living with Metastatic Disease", the information is dated and no longer that useful.

I know the basics on advanced breast cancer aka as stage IV but, what about living with the disease. So many more women are living with this stage, so it is hard to understand why so few books are written.

There is a need to understand the new spins that come out of San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium every year. What happens when they say one things and didn't find it really work a few years later.

There are always new treatments being offered, new ways, it's not a stagnant disease! The disease even at the metastatic level has the same variables that it had with stages 0-3. Yet, the real basic guide included in Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book hardly does any of it justice. Besides her book is 7 years old now.

Am I the only one who wishes for such a book?

Best,

Doris
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    SIROD said:

Books on Advanced Breast Cancer
    The market is saturated with books about breast cancer covering the initial diagnose. There are so few books on Advanced Breast Cancer.

One was written by Musa Meyer in 1998 title: "Advanced Breast Cancer: A Guide to Living with Metastatic Disease", the information is dated and no longer that useful.

I know the basics on advanced breast cancer aka as stage IV but, what about living with the disease. So many more women are living with this stage, so it is hard to understand why so few books are written.

There is a need to understand the new spins that come out of San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium every year. What happens when they say one things and didn't find it really work a few years later.

There are always new treatments being offered, new ways, it's not a stagnant disease! The disease even at the metastatic level has the same variables that it had with stages 0-3. Yet, the real basic guide included in Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book hardly does any of it justice. Besides her book is 7 years old now.

Am I the only one who wishes for such a book?

Best,

Doris

List of books on my "Resources" page
    I have a list and description of the books that helped me (some have already been mentioned here) on my Resources page.

Just click on TraciInLA here
    <-- to the left,

Then click on the "resources" tab.

Traci