Hernia

Options
2timothy1 7
2timothy1 7 Member Posts: 345
I had my surgery dec5th. I have noticed over the weekend an egg-sized palpable hard area in the middle of my incision. It is just slightly painful when I stand up. Could this be a hernia? Does anyone have hernia experience?

Comments

• snowbird_11
    snowbird_11 Member Posts: 160
    Options
    I had an incisional hernia
    I had an incisional hernia show up 3 yrs post surgery and just had it repaired about 6 wks ago. It was a simialr size and disappeared when I lay down. It was only mildly bothersome but surgeon said it was an easy fix now but has opotential to get larger with a more complex fix required. It sureb freaked me out when I first noticed it in the mirror - knew it had to be a tumor. Then took a deep breath and reminded myself it was barely a month since I had a normal PET/Ct scan. They can occur from too much strain on incision before fully healed. I had not realized how much longer it takesb internal tissues to fully bond compared with the superficial skin healing. My repair was quite simple and uneventful.
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    I also had a hernia from my
    I also had a hernia from my surgery. It was so big that I was lopsided. My doctor at the time didn't want to fix it. It wasn't until five years that I had it repaired. What a difference.

The hernia prevented me from doing certain sit-ups. Or when I sat up from a laying position I had to twist a little sideways to do it. At times it did pull.

Also, it could be healing taking place. At various time I did have hard palpable areas over and near my incisions. They eventually went away. I also got prickly feelings and twinges, etc. over the next year while my body was healing.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Kaleena said:

I also had a hernia from my
    I also had a hernia from my surgery. It was so big that I was lopsided. My doctor at the time didn't want to fix it. It wasn't until five years that I had it repaired. What a difference.

The hernia prevented me from doing certain sit-ups. Or when I sat up from a laying position I had to twist a little sideways to do it. At times it did pull.

Also, it could be healing taking place. At various time I did have hard palpable areas over and near my incisions. They eventually went away. I also got prickly feelings and twinges, etc. over the next year while my body was healing.

I had a large incisional
    I had a large incisional hernia that appeared about 6 months, post-op. That was late 2009. I had it repaired in Aug of 2011. By that time, it had doubled in size and was the same size/shape as the head of a full-term baby.

I thought it was a huge tumor when I first saw it, too. I called my doctor's office and frantically described it to the PA. She calmly told me that it was almost certainly a hernia; that nothing grows that big, that fast. She was right, of course.

Carlene