UCLA lecture"CHEMO BRAIN"- COGNITIVE CHANGES AFTER CANCER: "I CAN’T FIND MY..." - TUESDAY JANUARY 10

New Flower
New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
edited January 2012 in Breast Cancer #1
"CHEMO BRAIN"- COGNITIVE CHANGES AFTER CANCER: "I CAN’T FIND MY..." - TUESDAY JANUARY 10, 2012 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM

Patricia Ganz, MD, UCLA Professor of Medicine and Health Services, medical oncologist, and researcher, describes and discusses symptoms such as difficulty concentrating, forgetfulness, and cognitive impairment which are often referred to by patients and physicians as "Chemo Brain." She shares recent information from her research studies that suggest that increased levels of post-treatment inflammation play a role in the development and persistence of these treatment related complaints. Discussion includes current knowledge, research progress, best strategies to date for management and other causes such as depression that must be considered when evaluating these symptoms.

Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center (RRMC) Auditorium
757 Westwood Plaza
Room B130 (B Level)
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Parking is available at the RRMC and the Medical Plaza. Cost is $11 at both locations.

Comments

• laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Interesting
    Now that would be interesting. Too bad I live so far away.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Would love to attend, but it
    Would love to attend, but it is too far this year. Funny but, honestly, I don't think I have ever had chemo brain. Not sure if this is just an adverse effect of taxol (and its derivatives) as I had "chemo-lite" (CMF). I don't think CMF is even used anymore (1987 was when I had chemo).

My sisters complain a lot about their memory getting worse, but I don't think mine has?? Would I know...lol? Anyway, I tell them that it was about time I got a break ;-)

My question is, does everyone feel that they have chemo brain?
  • MGNS
    MGNS Member Posts: 197 Member
    I would love to hear this
    I would love to hear this lecture, but live too far away :( If there is a way you could post information given at the lecture or a link to go to I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for posting.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    MGNS said:

I would love to hear this
    I would love to hear this lecture, but live too far away :( If there is a way you could post information given at the lecture or a link to go to I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for posting.

Chemo Brain
    Chicago is a bit far to come to hear this, but I would love to hear about this. I don't think everyone gets what we call our chemo brain, but a lot of us do have this. I for one do. I can't think straight like I use to. My short term memory is very bad. I forget more than normal. If you ask around to many of us you will find the same problems. Mush brain LOL
    Kathy
  • awynn804
    awynn804 Member Posts: 9
    Wish I lived in CA. I am
    Wish I lived in CA. I am definitely impacted by Chemo Brain.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    awynn804 said:

Wish I lived in CA. I am
    Wish I lived in CA. I am definitely impacted by Chemo Brain.

http://www.simmsmanncenter.ucla.edu
    http://www.simmsmanncenter.ucla.edu

Please look and browse this website. It has Videos and Summary for previous lectures. It is a very useful source for various cancer topics needs. Please go to Insights Into Cancer Public Lecture series. You will find Archives: Insights Into Cancer 
Videos & Article Summaries.
    All available Insights Into Cancer videos which cover treatment, nutrition and Chemo Brain lecture which was given 3 years ago.
    Upcoming lecture will be posted within couple of weeks.
    Internet keep us connected able to utilize resources across the country.
    Please let me know if you have difficulties with this site.
    New Flower