Kidney failure

Options
connieprice1
connieprice1 Member Posts: 300 Member
Hello, I have never posted here since I am recovering from Head & Neck cancer. My sister has had Ovarian cancer for 7 years. Her kidneys are failing so she can do no more chemo til her kidneys recover. She has a colostomy bag installed and has not been eating enough to maintain her weight. Lately her food she does eat has been going into her bag undigested and she has also swallowed a pill the other day that ended up in her bag before it disolved. I asked my niece why the doctor did not install a feeding tube so she could get enough vitamins and nutrients to support her til hopefully her kidneys have a chance to recover. She told me that all liquids go right through her stomach and wind up in her colostomy bag undigested. My sister lives in Canada and I live in Texas and I am going up there in a week because I fear she is in the final stages of this terrible disease. Does anyone have any advice or does anyone know why her food is going straight through her stomach without digesting? Any help on this topic would really be appreciated, my sister has fought this disease with all her strength but I'm afraid she is ready to give up. Please help, Connie

Comments

• carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Connie: I am so sorry to
    Connie: I am so sorry to hear about your sister. Your sister does NOT need a feeding tube. She might need TPN but a feeding tube will not help the situation because it would bypass the salivary enzymes that mix with food when food is chewed.

Look into the "super foods" nutrient rich foods that can be made into shakes for your sister. All pills should be crushed & mixed with apple sauce. Cooked carrots puréed like baby food are going to provide more nutrition than raw carrots. Raw fruits/veggies should be juiced--or better yet processed in a Vita Mix (get a second hand one on eBay).

Fats/oils slow down the emptying of the stomach. Coconut oil is something to consider --a teaspoon several times/day with meals might help.

Most people assume that getting food into a person is all that is required--there's more to think about. Digestion. If your sister is taking a drug to block stomach acid, a big part of digestion is missing. There are "proteolytic" (protein-digeating) enzymes that could help. In fact, a broad spectrum enzyme supplement will help--should open the capsule & mix into apple sauce or yogurt.

Your sister is getting more malnourished every day but I'm sorry to say, there's no guarantee that my recommendations will help. There is something secreted by cancer that contributes to the wasting away regardless of food intake. But it's worth a try to implement my suggestions. Small frequent feedings are a good idea.

With kidney damage, there could be a problem with sodium imbalance & phosphorus is also a problem. Your sister needs to speak to a dietician as there are special diets that can prevent further kidney damage.

Do you know if your sister had underlying chronic kidney disease before cancer? Or how many platinum treatments did she receive before her kidneys were in trouble?

Best wishes to both of you.
  • sheryl912
    sheryl912 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Not a pro
    I have never been in this situation, however I know you CANNOT crush some medications. For example if you crush any timed release medications you 'Break' the time release on it. So please check with a doc before using that route, I am sure it works fine for most but would hate to see some get accidentally over or under dosed (not sure which it would do, I know from tv that drug users like to crush then inject or inhale OxyContin, thank you discovery channel hehe)

I hope you can help your sister get back to feeling better soon, good luck!
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    sheryl912 said:

Not a pro
    I have never been in this situation, however I know you CANNOT crush some medications. For example if you crush any timed release medications you 'Break' the time release on it. So please check with a doc before using that route, I am sure it works fine for most but would hate to see some get accidentally over or under dosed (not sure which it would do, I know from tv that drug users like to crush then inject or inhale OxyContin, thank you discovery channel hehe)

I hope you can help your sister get back to feeling better soon, good luck!

Good point
    Thanks for adding that warning...very appropriate.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    After my de-bulking surgery,
    After my de-bulking surgery, which included a bowel resection, I started vomiting and they could not stop it, even with an NG tube down my nose. I was given TPN feedings thru my chest port. The stuff is too thick to go thru an IV. I would definitely look into TPN feedings. It goes straight to the bloodstream and by-passes the stomach altogether.

Carlene
  • connieprice1
    connieprice1 Member Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    The final journey
    I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. As a follow-up I want you to know my sister's pic line was removed and she is at peace. She is now in hospice care and awaits meeting our God almighty! I think peace came to her when all the family accepted the fact that she is on a oneway journey and have allowed her to go when ready. She fought hard and it is time we let her rest. May she sit with God soon! Thankyou all, Connie
  • Radioactive34
    Radioactive34 Member Posts: 391 Member
    Options

The final journey
    I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. As a follow-up I want you to know my sister's pic line was removed and she is at peace. She is now in hospice care and awaits meeting our God almighty! I think peace came to her when all the family accepted the fact that she is on a oneway journey and have allowed her to go when ready. She fought hard and it is time we let her rest. May she sit with God soon! Thankyou all, Connie

Hugs.....

Hugs.....
  • jbeans888
    jbeans888 Member Posts: 313
    Options

The final journey

I am sorry to hear about
    I am sorry to hear about your sister. I had a ileostomy bag for 6 months and had the same problem. I found juicing helped a lot even when it went right thru me. What about liquid vitamins?