Fentynl Patch

T-Bird
T-Bird Member Posts: 25
Hello everyone - I didn't want to hi-jack the "Pain Relief" thread, ergo this new one.

I was just prescribed the fentynl patch and my oncologist mentioned that the biggest side effect this pain reliever has is extreme nausea & vomiting for the first 3 days. I do realize every body handles medication differently, but just wondered if anyone (or has a loved one) who experienced this and if so, just how "bad" was it?

Thanks muchly for any info.

Teresa

Comments

• bingbing2009
    bingbing2009 Member Posts: 177
    Fentanyl Patch
    I was first put on the patch during radiation treatment. I remained on it until my surgery and was put back on post-op. I never had any side-effects/problems at all--until I was removed from the patch. The withdrawal was noticable, as in chills, shivers, irritability, mood swings. These symptoms lasted for several days. I thought it was an awesome pain relief tool. FYI, my caregiver found the most effective spot to place it was on the underside of my upper arm, on the fleshy part. Switch arms when you replace the patch, as prescribed. Oh, my caregiver was also told not to put tape over the patch. This restricts the air flow and keeps the medicine from entering the skin. Just press your hand over the patch after placing it, for a minute or so, to warm it and it should stick okay. Hope this helps.

Melinda
  • T-Bird
    T-Bird Member Posts: 25
    thanks very much Melinda.....
    for the info and yes, it was helpful :)

I was glad to know that you didn't have the side effects I mentioned - wonder if I could be that lucky (not a question, just thinking out loud).

I suppose with any narcotic, it would be something that you would have to ween yourself off of in order to not experience the withdrawl symptoms - its what I did when I first went off morphine.

Have a great evening and thanx again!

Teresa
  • cher76
    cher76 Member Posts: 292
    T-Bird said:

thanks very much Melinda.....
    for the info and yes, it was helpful :)

I was glad to know that you didn't have the side effects I mentioned - wonder if I could be that lucky (not a question, just thinking out loud).

I suppose with any narcotic, it would be something that you would have to ween yourself off of in order to not experience the withdrawl symptoms - its what I did when I first went off morphine.

Have a great evening and thanx again!

Teresa

My husband was on the patch
    My husband was on the patch for 11 months, and never experienced any side effects. We started out with a 50 mg and worked up to 150 mg by the time we entered into hospice. They then switched him to methadone and honestly he never thought it worked as well. He could always tell when the patches needed to be changed, as his pain level would increase. As he lost weight and body fat, it became more and more difficult to find a spot to apply the patches to. Before we discontinued them he was wearing two 75 mg patches. Just remember that they are a narcotic and not easy to replace if you should lose or forget them when traveling. We forgot to take them with us on a trip to Las Vegas, and spent a whole day trying to obtain some legally!
    Cheryl
    Wife of Rickie,
    dx Oct 2010 Stage IV EC with mets to bones and brain,deceased 1/4/12