Everybody loves cute puppies

Barbara53
Barbara53 Member Posts: 652
My elderly mother is dying, and she's no longer able to read or pay attention to TV very well, and conversation can be a challenge. So one day this week while my brother covered for me, I bought a 2012 calendar with really cute puppies on it. What a huge, huge hit! We spent a half hour goobing over all twelve puppy pictures, and then she had me take down a family painting and hang the puppy calendar on the wall. Today she asked me to change it to February because she couldn't wait to see the new puppy picture. She's never been a real dog person (like me), but she sure grins and giggles over those puppies.

So much tough stuff these days, I thought it was worth sharing.

Comments

• grandmafay
    grandmafay Member Posts: 1,633 Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for reminding us that sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference. Bringing a smile to your mom's face is worth so much. Don't forget to take care of,yourself, too. Fay
  • DrMary
    DrMary Member Posts: 531 Member
    Puppy Pain Killers
    I do think one of the reasons my mother has been able to cut back on her chronic pain meds is the dogs at her new group home. There are at least 2 around at all times (plus some visitors) that crave attention. They come over and put their heads on her lap (or feet, if they are short) and beg to be petted. They get her spirits up right away.

Don't forget to think like a puppy - they don't worry about messes; they are not shy about asking for attention; they take naps wherever they are and whenever they need them. We all need to do more of those things.
  • jimwins
    jimwins Member Posts: 2,107
    DrMary said:

Puppy Pain Killers
    I do think one of the reasons my mother has been able to cut back on her chronic pain meds is the dogs at her new group home. There are at least 2 around at all times (plus some visitors) that crave attention. They come over and put their heads on her lap (or feet, if they are short) and beg to be petted. They get her spirits up right away.

Don't forget to think like a puppy - they don't worry about messes; they are not shy about asking for attention; they take naps wherever they are and whenever they need them. We all need to do more of those things.

Remember the old Saturday Night Live "commercials" about
    "Puppy Uppers" and "Doggie Downers" ?

I've been seriously thinking about getting a dog for the therapeutic
    effects - I also love them as well.

Hugs and positive thoughts,

Jim
    DX: DLBL 4/2011, Chemo completed 10/2011, currently in remission. :)
    Members are sharing recipes!:
    Recipe Sharing Project