Today was a doozy! I called my stylist and had my head buzzed this morning.

After I finished in the shower and vacuuming the floor, I called my stylist and had my head buzzed this morning. Well, I took a shower and saw lots of hair dropping. Yes, as a 56 year-old woman, it was quite a shock. I did drop a few tears but now I am glad I did it. The hair was coming out way too much and I knew it was time. I did have a wig on hand and I brought it with me. I put it on and you can hardly tell it is a wig. The American Cancer Society gives free wigs. I also have a friend who gave me 2 of her wigs today. I will not be spending money in the salon any time soon. You always have to look at the bright side. Also, my getting ready time has just been cut in half! lol

Comments

• th_in_canada
    th_in_canada Member Posts: 46
    hair
    Yes, I went through the same thing last spring. Got 2 wigs from our cancer center for free. I had people comment on my "haircut" and were very surprised to find out it was a wig.
    It seems silly that after all we've been through, to cry over some lost hair, but cry I did. Then I got over it and realized how I finally had the chance for "good hair" days without the fuss! lol Glad that you're looking at it with a positive attitude also.
    Now, 6 months after the chemo, I've taken back the wigs and going with the short look. My husband commented tonight that maybe I should go for a little trim because it's looking a "little weird"! Too bad I returned the wigs!!
    Tricia
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member

hair
    Yes, I went through the same thing last spring. Got 2 wigs from our cancer center for free. I had people comment on my "haircut" and were very surprised to find out it was a wig.
    It seems silly that after all we've been through, to cry over some lost hair, but cry I did. Then I got over it and realized how I finally had the chance for "good hair" days without the fuss! lol Glad that you're looking at it with a positive attitude also.
    Now, 6 months after the chemo, I've taken back the wigs and going with the short look. My husband commented tonight that maybe I should go for a little trim because it's looking a "little weird"! Too bad I returned the wigs!!
    Tricia

AHHH Lizzy
    Lizzy good for you for just doin it and cutting it off. Must be so so hard....Isn't it weird with all the stuff we go through and all the pain and all the hardships ....that hair still has that power over us. Glad you got a wig you like....

and Lizzy hair or wig.....nothing can change the beauty that you are.

love and love.......mags
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Wig
    That wig will only enhance your beauty. I'm glad that you got it shaved off instead of letting it fall out day after day. This way it is all done at once and you've chosen to do it. I'm wishing you the best hair days ever :)

Hugs! Kim
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Dear Lizzy
    Yes, anything that changes who we see in the mirror is a shock, but at least you did it on your terms. Now it is done.

Glad that you had a wig on hand, and having a spare would be good too...while the other is at the salon!

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties
  • johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member

Dear Lizzy
    Yes, anything that changes who we see in the mirror is a shock, but at least you did it on your terms. Now it is done.

Glad that you had a wig on hand, and having a spare would be good too...while the other is at the salon!

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties

i guess
    i have got to the point where i dont care about my hair.i was off chemo for 3 months and it started growing back knowing i would have to go back on chemo its starting to fall out again.so we shed a few tears but we still have to fight on....Godbless....johnnybegood
  • plh4gail
    plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238 Member
    Good for you lizzy! I bet
    Good for you lizzy! I bet you look great with your buzz and I always thought women with short short hair looked so strong and confident. I had to cut mine on Irinotecan. Then....after about 2 months off...sprouts all over :) My salon also recommended to take Biotin to promote hair growth.

Hugs to you, plh4gail
  • annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    One of my biggest meltdowns...
    happened the night all of my hair fell out in a big ol' clump. I wasn't prepared for how traumatizing it would be. That hair was my one remaining middle-aged vanity, and losing it was painful on many levels. Getting a nice wig did help...and not shaving my legs for months was awesome! hugs-Ann
    PS Shaving it was smart, imo-wish I would have had the nerve to do that.
  • Sonia32
    Sonia32 Member Posts: 1,071 Member
    Lizzy
    as Gail said I bet you look great! You are beautiful inside as well as out so :p
  • lizzydavis
    lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
    Sonia32 said:

Lizzy
    as Gail said I bet you look great! You are beautiful inside as well as out so :p

Thanks friends!
    Thanks friends! I appreicate your kind words. It sure does help to know there are others out there who know how I feel or who offer kind words to make me feel better. I actually have 3 wigs now(a friend gave me 2 of hers). I also have 2 soft night hats which are so comforting and they stay on at night. I am trying new things and do not miss the time I spent on styling my hair!

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Lizzy