need some advice from everyone here

tammybrook
tammybrook Member Posts: 43
edited December 2011 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi, does anyone feel that if my dads cea level went to 289.2 on aug 5 2011 that his oncologist should have called him to come in?????? well it went to 289.2 and not only did she not call but he had to get a chest x-ray for unrelated bladder stone on 9-7-11 and found mass but still no call...he found out the day he was going in for bladder stone surgery from his bladder surgeon....any thoughts? also oncologist never took any followup x-ray, ct, mri, or pet scan since 2009...

Comments

• Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258 Member
    Can't speak on the current treatment
    As it is difficult to tell wheat from chaff on these discussion boards, but if it were me I would do two things:

1. Get a second opinion from a local oncologist, preferably outside of the current doctors group.

2. Attempt to get a consult at an NIH Comprehesive Cancer Center

Best of wishes to you and your father,

Blake
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    My Advice
    Get a new oncologist, ASAP...
    They are too disconnected to give a reliable report. I wouldn't trust them
    -p
  • tammybrook
    Buckwirth said:

Can't speak on the current treatment
    As it is difficult to tell wheat from chaff on these discussion boards, but if it were me I would do two things:

1. Get a second opinion from a local oncologist, preferably outside of the current doctors group.

2. Attempt to get a consult at an NIH Comprehesive Cancer Center

Best of wishes to you and your father,

Blake

thanks...this time around im
    thanks...this time around im with him during visits and have learned a lot...wish i was there before..
    I hope you feel better !
    all the best
    Louann
  • tammybrook
    PhillieG said:

My Advice
    Get a new oncologist, ASAP...
    They are too disconnected to give a reliable report. I wouldn't trust them
    -p

thats what i think ..just
    thats what i think ..just frustrated thinking how things could have been even a little different...def gonna regroup after pet scan in 2 weeks
    thanks
    Louann
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Get Second Opinion
    I'd be getting a second opinion and then firing the present doctor. When CEA is that high a doctor should be concerned as something is most likely going on. Your dad should always have someone with him during appointments as you never remember everything, their are two sets of ears, and two sets of questions. Good luck on the scan.

Kim
  • tammybrook

Get Second Opinion
    I'd be getting a second opinion and then firing the present doctor. When CEA is that high a doctor should be concerned as something is most likely going on. Your dad should always have someone with him during appointments as you never remember everything, their are two sets of ears, and two sets of questions. Good luck on the scan.

Kim

thanks...i agree i will
    thanks...i agree i will bring this up but don't want to upset dad...just amazed at how no call...did she even look at the results???
  • just4Brooks
    just4Brooks Member Posts: 980 Member
    I agree
    I have to agree with Phill on this one. You need a doctor who is open and is not scared to tell you what's going on in a timly matter. This is a persons life we're talking about here.
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Tammy:
    I agree with the others. When George's CEA climed our oncologist jumped on it right away. In our situation, 20 points was not of great concern although we were always told everything but when it shot up 100 points, the doc was all over it with scans, etc. to see exactly what was going on.

Perhaps it is time to seek out another opinion or at least a doc that will keep you advised whether the news is good or not, keeping you informed of the status is essential.

George does not get scanned as often as some on the board but he does see the onc every six weeks where his chart is thoroughly dicussed and if scans, tests, whatever are warranted they are done.

Take care - Tina
  • steveandnat
    steveandnat Member Posts: 886
    Sounds like your onc is dropping ball
    I'd confront the onc and find out why they aren't reacting to the numbers. Def a 2nd opinion. Sometimes I think the oncs have too many patients to stay on top of things. Praying everything works out.
    Jeff
  • tammybrook

I'd confront the onc and find out why they aren't reacting to the numbers. Def a 2nd opinion. Sometimes I think the oncs have too many patients to stay on top of things. Praying everything works out.
    Jeff

thanks for all the input...i
    thanks for all the input...i agree that the onc does not discuss at all! feel like she is just going through the protocol...def going to another !
  • tammybrook

Jeff

thanks for all the input...i
    thanks for all the input...