Arm pain question

Options
jim and i
jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
Jim has started to have pain in his lower left arm, between the elbow and wrist. Could this be treatment related? Should we call the doctor and which, Rad, Chemo, ENT, GP. I know that arm pain can signal heart attach but I think that is uppet arm. Any help is appreciated. Jim is 7 months post treatment.

Debbie

Comments

• ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    just an assumption
    and I know nothing about heart attacks and left arms so rule that out first, but I'm guessing his treatment, surgery, radiation, peg tube, something is making him either sit in a new position or he is sleeping in a new position which is favoring his left side which is bruising the bony forearm tissue?????????????????????????????????????????????
  • KTeacher
    KTeacher Member Posts: 1,103
    Options
    ratface said:

just an assumption
    and I know nothing about heart attacks and left arms so rule that out first, but I'm guessing his treatment, surgery, radiation, peg tube, something is making him either sit in a new position or he is sleeping in a new position which is favoring his left side which is bruising the bony forearm tissue?????????????????????????????????????????????

I agree
    I agree with Mr. Rat. I am the queen of pillows. I have them in different sizes and shapes. Always have one to support arm or neck. Where does Jim's new friend like to rest? I Jim using his arm differently to pet new friend? We must have our pets but we need to be comfortable also. My mom's cat (over 20 lbs.) used to let her know when she had to finish her crochet, he would just plop on her chest. (My mom could crochet laying on her back!) He slept next to her but he did not want her to crochet all night!
  • jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    KTeacher said:

I agree
    I agree with Mr. Rat. I am the queen of pillows. I have them in different sizes and shapes. Always have one to support arm or neck. Where does Jim's new friend like to rest? I Jim using his arm differently to pet new friend? We must have our pets but we need to be comfortable also. My mom's cat (over 20 lbs.) used to let her know when she had to finish her crochet, he would just plop on her chest. (My mom could crochet laying on her back!) He slept next to her but he did not want her to crochet all night!

Thanks
    I will watch Jim and see if he is using that arm differently. The left side is the one the dog lays on and the one he uses to pet him or rub his belly while laying on the couch.
  • par
    par Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Arm Pain
    I am 2 yrs.post treatment and I still have pain in my left arm between the elbow and wrist and in my left thumb.I also have a tingling feeling most of the time.I have been checked numerous time by my cardioligist and he has said it is not heart related but probably from my treatment.My thyroid gland was found to have quit functioning and I have been put on medication for that and it seems to have helped with the arm pain and the tingling sensation.You might get his thyroid function checked.
    Robert
  • francma
    francma Member Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    By all means you have it
    By all means you have it checked by your doctor. My experience has been "frozen shoulders" bilateral. I initially felt my right arm at first that would freeze up and the tendon would snap against the bone...very painful. It started in Aug/Sept 2011. Both upper arms were diagnosed with the same. then my forearms and wrists began hurting due to the overuse of them because of the upper arms! I have since been having physical therapy and now acupuncture. There has been an improvement with my range of motion. I really believe the chemo played a huge part in this. never had any trauma to either arms in the past. They say it is stress related...we can agree on that! Let us know what your doc diagnoses it as. You may even have tennis elbow?? But please get it checked!!

Fran~
  • rozaroo
    rozaroo Member Posts: 665
    Options
    francma said:

By all means you have it
    By all means you have it checked by your doctor. My experience has been "frozen shoulders" bilateral. I initially felt my right arm at first that would freeze up and the tendon would snap against the bone...very painful. It started in Aug/Sept 2011. Both upper arms were diagnosed with the same. then my forearms and wrists began hurting due to the overuse of them because of the upper arms! I have since been having physical therapy and now acupuncture. There has been an improvement with my range of motion. I really believe the chemo played a huge part in this. never had any trauma to either arms in the past. They say it is stress related...we can agree on that! Let us know what your doc diagnoses it as. You may even have tennis elbow?? But please get it checked!!

Fran~

Arm Pain!
    I have had a difficult time with my left arm & side of my body post treatment! My left shoulder was frozen & I could hear the bone snap! Went to a chiropractor & that treatment she provided really helped with the pain etc. I also found that I had to cut short my computer time & do stretching excersize's to keep my shoulder freed up! I am not in as much pain & my shoulder is more mobile! Plus resting it really worked for me!