Just woke up from chemo fog, late start on Christmas!

k1
k1 Member Posts: 220 Member
Merry Christmas, all!

The holiday came and went since last Thursday when I had my 8th chemo treatment of Xelox. I have mostly been asleep since then, in between wake-up periods for medication and sickness.

When I finally really woke up this afternoon, took a shower, and got dressed, my three little dogs were so excited to see signs of life from me, and so was my husband, who has been a little depressed and grumpy to spend the holiday mostly alone and cooped up in the house.

I ate a light meal tonight -- nice change from Ensure and hope it doesn't make me sick. My husband made me some hot chocolate from scratch tonight too.

In the morning we will open our Christmas gifts and have some good food and it will really seem like we had a holiday finally. Then we will see some family and friends between now and New Year's.

So we celebrated Thanksgiving a week early, and the way the chemo schedule fell this month we will be celebrating Christmas quite a few days late. It's all worth it to finish the chemo and I am getting close enough now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel in February.

I know there are others out there who weren't able to celebrate the holidays on time or in their usual manner, and just want to remind you it's not the calendar date that matters, but the love and joy you are able to feel whenever it is that the season reaches out to you and you are able to reach back to grasp it for yourself.

K1

Comments

• maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Dearest K1
    What a lovely attitude you have....good for you. I salute your patient persistence. The xelox regime started to get very hard for me at round 8 so I understand your sleeping away those first days. You are right....Christmas presents can wait.

Sending all the very best your way.....

maggie
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Holidays
    You are right the date doesn't matter. Glad that you are going to be able to spend some quality time with family and get some nourishment in your body. Wishing you the best for the new year.

Kim
  • steveandnat
    steveandnat Member Posts: 886
    We all understand
    Everyone understands exactly what you are going through. I was lucky because I was suppose to get treatment the week of Christmas but my platlet count was too low so the onc postponed them. I got the treatment today so I will be wiped out for New Years celebration but that is okay. Enjoy the good days no matter what!! Praying for the best for you.
    Jeff