Back in the Hospital... Weak & Distended Abdomen....

Hello all... I am new at the board (wrote my first post the other day). I am the "online" voice for my Dad who has SCCHN with an unknown Primary. He was just admitted into the hospital again (first time was for strep two weeks ago). He just received his second round of up front Chemo a week ago today. Like the first time, it is kicking his ****, but the swollen lymphoid is almost 100% back to normal. The bad news is that he has a distended abdomen. It is not giving him discomfort, but they want to do a CAT scan tomorrow (dosen't help he is allergic to the contrast dye and has to take additional meds for that). Has anyone else had/have a swollen abdomen or any intestinal issues? Did it delay treatment?

Comments

• jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    never heard of it
    But I am sure someone has. I will pray it is something minor. I know the pain meds and treatment cause constipation. If something isn't done to help the situation the intestines can get blocked and cause the stomach to bloat. Not a good situation.
  • Matisse20
    Matisse20 Member Posts: 9
    jim and i said:

never heard of it
    But I am sure someone has. I will pray it is something minor. I know the pain meds and treatment cause constipation. If something isn't done to help the situation the intestines can get blocked and cause the stomach to bloat. Not a good situation.

Turns out...
    ... To be a bacterial infection. I happened to be at the hospital while the Infectious Disease Doctor came in and was able to explain everything to us. It is a result of the lining of the colon deteriorating as a result of Chemo. So the bacteria (that already lives in you) made it into the blood stream. Very treatable...

CAT scan showed no blockage or anything out of the norm.

Thank you for your prayers!
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Matisse20 said:

Turns out...
    ... To be a bacterial infection. I happened to be at the hospital while the Infectious Disease Doctor came in and was able to explain everything to us. It is a result of the lining of the colon deteriorating as a result of Chemo. So the bacteria (that already lives in you) made it into the blood stream. Very treatable...

CAT scan showed no blockage or anything out of the norm.

Thank you for your prayers!

Good
    Did you ever think you'd be glad to hear he had a bacterial infection? Hope it's cleared smoothly.
  • Matisse20
    Matisse20 Member Posts: 9
    Pam M said:

Good
    Did you ever think you'd be glad to hear he had a bacterial infection? Hope it's cleared smoothly.

NO KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Round 1 of Chemo resulted in a Strep infection in his blood... I have my own 'non-medical' theory on how that got into his blood system. He had his biopsy on Nov 22, and I think he might had had Strep when he had that (but didn't want to mention his throat was sore) resulting in the Strep getting into his blood stream after all the poking and sample taking the Doctors were doing. That came on with a 104 fever on December 2 and a nice ambulance ride followed by a 3 day stay at the hospital. This go around he never got a fever... just VERY VERY VERY weak, and he actually asked to go to the hospital yesterday. He looked a lot better today, but is still very weak. I won't see him again until Thursday because my husband and I need a much needed break from out boys (1 and 3) and from the situation here... We are headed to NYC for the day.

This has definitely been a roller-coaster ride, and we are just still in the beginning. I can't wait for him to be on the other side of this. His attitude is amazing!