Health Care in Canada vs. US

Options
mario33ec
mario33ec Member Posts: 21 Member
Let me just say this: if i were rich aint no other country I would want treatment in cept the USA, period. Being midddle class I am blessed to live in CANADA because my treatment is completely covered. I don`t have any financial worries and with work I can go on two year disability and see if i can beat the odds. I will even have a nurse visit me at least once a week at my home since i can`t waLK well due to a blood clot. Again all covered.

The US for profit system is destroying families--universal health care is a right not a privellege and sick people are sufffering the most. Yes the system in Canads is flawed and you wait but everyone gets in line so its fAIR AND if your rich you can get faster treatment.

Comments

• jgwright
    jgwright Member Posts: 242
    Options
    Rights...
    Healthcare is a right... Sorry. I'm reminded of "Police Academy" movie. "You have the right to sing the blues, you have the right to color TV..."

Healthcare for everybody requires the government reaching in and picking your pocket. Tell some starving kid in Ethiopia he has the right to healthcare, and he will look at you like you are crazy. Because you are.

A just and equitable society requires that everyone get whatever they need, right? I vaguely remember "from each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs." Didn't work in Soviet Russia, because, of course, "some animals are more equal than others."

But you say, "It isn't fair!" And I have to agree. But the world isn't fair, and certainly EC isn't fair. The world is filled with wonders, and joy is to be found in the strangest places, but don't expect it to be fair. Reality carries a big hammer.

I'm afraid that the long term effects of socialized medicine will be worse than you know. But what do I know? I'm an old "expletive deleted".

Oh well. Too much soapbox, and no good solutions.
  • birdiequeen
    birdiequeen Member Posts: 319
    Options
    On this site people always say
    don't pay attention to stats. I think one stat that is never publicized is the survival rate of those with and those without insurance in the US. I can say, going to all of my husband’s appointment with him, it sickens me to think I've only seen three Black Americans in the waiting rooms. That is just not right.

I have thought.....well he (my husband) is younger than the average EC patient (points up on the stats), he has insurance (big points up on the stats), and it was caught early, so I should stop worrying right? I can't seem to stop, yet. Every major life decision to be made (in the US) is affected by health insurance! If you don't consider it you are playing with fire, and the suffering will not just be the patient but the whole family and possibly for generations to come.
  • JReed
    JReed Member Posts: 428
    Options

On this site people always say
    don't pay attention to stats. I think one stat that is never publicized is the survival rate of those with and those without insurance in the US. I can say, going to all of my husband’s appointment with him, it sickens me to think I've only seen three Black Americans in the waiting rooms. That is just not right.

I have thought.....well he (my husband) is younger than the average EC patient (points up on the stats), he has insurance (big points up on the stats), and it was caught early, so I should stop worrying right? I can't seem to stop, yet. Every major life decision to be made (in the US) is affected by health insurance! If you don't consider it you are playing with fire, and the suffering will not just be the patient but the whole family and possibly for generations to come.

birdiequeen - you got that right
    You said it well.

Judy