platlets are down

Options
garden gal
garden gal Member Posts: 212 Member
to 74,000 DR is not all that concerned right now. All other blood work is good. Question-is there anything I can do to increase it? I'm on topo and will be having another treatment the first of Jan. Should I be worried? seems like there is always something new to worry about. Thanks Kathy

Comments

• mom2greatkids
    mom2greatkids Member Posts: 528
    Options
    Kathy,
    I had low platelets.

Kathy,

I had low platelets. Once they got down to 10. I had to take two bags. I was told there was nothing I could do to bring them up. When mine were extremely low, I was told not to lift or strain (even using the bathroom). Actually I took a treatment with mine about where yours are now. You'll be fine. Like you, my other counts were fine. Take care and enjoy the holidays!!

Carla
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options

Kathy,
    I had low platelets.

Kathy,

I had low platelets. Once they got down to 10. I had to take two bags. I was told there was nothing I could do to bring them up. When mine were extremely low, I was told not to lift or strain (even using the bathroom). Actually I took a treatment with mine about where yours are now. You'll be fine. Like you, my other counts were fine. Take care and enjoy the holidays!!

Carla

You're gonna have to give up
    You're gonna have to give up the contact sports, Kathy! The low platelets are due to bone marrow suppression which is supposed to be reversible after stopping/delaying Topotecan. I don't think you are considered in the danger zone.
  • garden gal
    Options
    carolenk said:

You're gonna have to give up
    You're gonna have to give up the contact sports, Kathy! The low platelets are due to bone marrow suppression which is supposed to be reversible after stopping/delaying Topotecan. I don't think you are considered in the danger zone.

Thanks for the response
    about platlets. Had a good laugh about the contact sports, needed that. Thanks and prays to all. Kathy
  • LPack
    LPack Member Posts: 645
    Options
    Kathy,
    That has been my

Kathy,

That has been my story every since I have been on chemo and that has been almost 4 years (with a bit of NED for about 6 months or so).

I cannot have any chemo no matter which cocktail I am on unless my platelets are 100,000. I am always 1 or two weeks late. And sometimes after a reduced dose, still too low. I am usually 48,000-52,000 after I get a treatment and then when it gets checked again - usually up to 70,000+ and then another week and usually 101,000.............chemo!

There is nothing you can do except watch what you do if extremely low (bleeding).

Time seems to do the trick.

Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas!

Libby ☺
  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Is not low enough to cause you any troubles. Numbers below 50K begin to be of concern for bleeding. There is nothing you can do to improve these numbers. If they begin to be a problem that's what doseage reductions and eventually change in therapies are about.

Best wishes.
  • garden gal
    Options

Is not low enough to cause you any troubles. Numbers below 50K begin to be of concern for bleeding. There is nothing you can do to improve these numbers. If they begin to be a problem that's what doseage reductions and eventually change in therapies are about.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the info
    wasn't sure how low the numbers get to be a problem. Next treatment is the 1st of Jan. at that time they will do the blood work again. Thanks again to all, what wonderful people on this board. Kathy