Blood Clots (pulomonary embolism)

Options
menright
menright Member Posts: 256 Member
After my most recent scan I received a call to get into the hospital. A blood clot was noted on my left lung. Now I am taking twice daily shots of Lovenox. Any experience out there with this new challenge?

I thought I was done and now I have yet another drug to administer. What I thought was the silver lining was that my scan was clear of cancer....this is not so but another topic.

Let me know if anyone has experience managing blood clots.

Mike

Comments

• smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I've been on Lovenox for a
    I've been on Lovenox for a year now. I do one shot a day. How much do you put in each shot?? Expect your tummy to get pretty bruised from the constant punctures. I get a hard lump under my skin at each injection site too....but this is to prevent any new blood clots. What else did your scans show??
  • smokeyjoe
    Options
    I've been on Lovenox for a year now. I do one shot a day. How much do you put in each shot?? Expect your tummy to get pretty bruised from the constant punctures. I get a hard lump under my skin at each injection site too....but this is to prevent any new blood clots. What else did your scans show??
  • smokeyjoe
    Options
  • smokeyjoe
    Options
  • th_in_canada
    th_in_canada Member Posts: 46
    Options
    blood clots
    I've been doing daily injections of Fragmin (heparin) for over a year now after they found 4 blood clots in my lungs. Two more were found in the next ct scan, one in my heart and one in the superior venous behind my central line.
    I've gotten much better at it and only have very small bruising from the shots now. The trick is to do it slowly. I also learned where to do it in the upper leg to give my abdomen a break.
    At the start when I found it very overwhelming, I would remind myself of my diabetic friend who has to do shots several times a day to stay alive.
    Hang in there.

Tricia
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    DVT
    I had a blood clot (DVT) behind my left knee. My leg had swollen
    up to nearly twice the size of my right leg, and the pain was incredible.

Rather than take Coumadin (Warfarin), lovenox, etc, and/or get
    that "umbrella" device installed in my torso to prevent a PE, I made
    a visit with my TCM practitioner.

Two days worth of herbal broth, and the clot dissolved. There is
    no trace of it; the swelling went down the first day along with the
    pain, and my GP decided that there is no need for further treatment.

Do some research regarding Traditional Chinese Medicine, you'd
    be surprised what's available!

Warfarin And Chinese Medicine

Best of health,

John
  • daBeachBum
    daBeachBum Member Posts: 164
    Options
    Lovenox Twice a Day
    Hey Mike,

I developed clots in both lungs a couple of months ago and have been on geberic Lovenox twice a day since then. Its a hassle, with my stomach and thighs looking like a pin cushion of bruising, but it beats the alternative. At least with Lovenox you won't have do the weekly bllod testing needed with higher molecular weight Heparins.

At fisrt I ****-footed around giving myself injections and ended up causing myself more pain than needed, now I just pinch stab and squirt in 2 seconds. It makes things easier. They will see if I need to continue on it in another 4 months or so.

Best of luck buddy!

Ray