How were you diagnosed

Options
TKMomma
TKMomma Member Posts: 54
Anyone diagnosed with ovarian cancer from an ovarian cyst.

Comments

• LaundryQueen
    LaundryQueen Member Posts: 676
    Options
    Multiple cysts
    Yes. My ultrasound report said multiple ovarian cysts with a complex cyst and small uterine fibroid. It was cancer & the "fibroid" was a metastatic malignant lesion...stage III already.

My symptoms were difficulty urinating in the mornings but no other times.
  • lauripiper
    lauripiper Member Posts: 28
    Options

Multiple cysts
    Yes. My ultrasound report said multiple ovarian cysts with a complex cyst and small uterine fibroid. It was cancer & the "fibroid" was a metastatic malignant lesion...stage III already.

My symptoms were difficulty urinating in the mornings but no other times.

cysts
    I had a new cyst (old ones were endometriosis) and when it was removed they found cancer in the ovary, though the cyst was not itself cancer.
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options

cysts
    I had a new cyst (old ones were endometriosis) and when it was removed they found cancer in the ovary, though the cyst was not itself cancer.

I had a complex cyst that
    I had a complex cyst that was 5cm diameter--that's about the size that is suspicious for becoming malignant. The CA-125 was 700 at that time & since I was menopausal, there was about a 99.9% that it was cancer. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be here.

I think a lot has to do with your age. Older, menopausal women are more likely to have OVCA but there are plenty of much younger women on here.

Imaging tests are not very helpful. Cancer can look like a cyst even when the disease has already spread. If you do have a cyst, I hope it's benign.
  • Susan53
    Susan53 Member Posts: 178
    Options
    fibroids on uterus
    doctors thought there where fibroids on the uterus. She thought I should see a gyn. They did a CA125 and it was 7 , then doctor scheduled a ultra sound vaginally and external . They could not see my right ovary which was incased in a tumor. The gyn then scheduled me for a D and C and a loproscopic procedure. They did a biopsy of the uterus and removed the right ovary that was incased in a tumor. Even then the gyn said that it probably was not cancerous. Path came back and both ovary and uterus were cancerous. At first they thought that the uterus had spread to the ovary. They did another test and that path said they were very similar but slightly different. Phew that brought both of them back down to a stage 1 from a 3.
  • da1955
    da1955 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Yes
    and by the time I got a second opinion there were cysts on both ovaries. By the time I had my surgery, the initial cyst was 8.5 cm. I have always been concerned I should have had the surgery sooner, even though the surgeon said it would not have made much of a difference (I waited almost 3 months). If this is TMI sorry, but I initially had a strong odor I was certain was a yeast infection, but after two rounds of treatment it did not go away. That is when they did a transvaginal ultrasound and found a 2.5 cm cyst on one ovary. Deb
  • cfont11
    cfont11 Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Cyst
    Was having abdominal pains and had a CT scan and ultrasound. Ultrasound showed cyst on right ovary. Had it checked a year later and there was no change. Dr. said I had diverticulitis but colonoscopy showed I did not. A year later, I had a large tumor on my right ovary that caused problems with colon and cancer had spread in the abdomen. I think my PCP misdiagnosed me. I should have pushed for seeing a gynecologist earlier but who knows what the outcome would have been.

Chris