Doing pretty well......they even made a movie about me!

Options
nickgunboat
nickgunboat Member Posts: 35
edited December 2011 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Greetings all.
I am a 45 year old survivor of the dreaded EC. Two and a half years out from chemo/radiation/surgery. I was stage three at diagnosis, but was basically a zero when I went in for surgery. Six weeks of chemo and Radiation prior to surgery did me pretty well. I find myself frequenting these forums and am at once inspired, depressed, sad, happy, and hopefull. The whole deal. This is a rough hand we have all been dealt. And in many ways harder for our families and loved ones. Every day my ten year old daughter reminds me not to eat too much. She worries so much that I'll eat too much and throw up, a weekly event in our house still. I try to fight her off with humour, "It was worth it!" I'll say, as I puke up a hot fudge sundae. And you know what, sometimes it is. Anyway, I have lots more reading to do, I want to read everyone's stories. Maybe this will serve as some inspiration for others, I don't know, but it's why I agreed to do it. An independently produced short film about me and how I've dealt with things. Made by some friends of mine. As a side note, I have since regained my full voice, just like it used to be after a year and a half sounding like a creepy stalker for so long. See, things do get better. Enjoy...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLALaXHVKOY

Comments

• TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    Options
    It's WONDERFUL to see a survivor post!
    Kirk,

Welcome to our little world. Sounds like you've been down this path already and made it out the other side. So glad you've stopped back to let us know the good in the world!

Loved your video! Documentation is so important AND cathethartic (did I spell that anywhere close to right?). I know that my husband still struggles some days with eating issues, but like you - some days are "worth it".

Please post every now and then - just to keep us all uplifted with the possibilities after surgery.

Terry
    wife to Nick, age 48
    dx Stage 3, T3N1M0 05/19/11
    THE 09/08/11
    Clean Path 09/13/11
  • Daisylin
    Daisylin Member Posts: 365
    Options
    TerryV said:

It's WONDERFUL to see a survivor post!
    Kirk,

Welcome to our little world. Sounds like you've been down this path already and made it out the other side. So glad you've stopped back to let us know the good in the world!

Loved your video! Documentation is so important AND cathethartic (did I spell that anywhere close to right?). I know that my husband still struggles some days with eating issues, but like you - some days are "worth it".

Please post every now and then - just to keep us all uplifted with the possibilities after surgery.

Terry
    wife to Nick, age 48
    dx Stage 3, T3N1M0 05/19/11
    THE 09/08/11
    Clean Path 09/13/11

Thanks for sharing
    Hi Kirk, and thanks so much for sharing your video with us. I am so glad that you were able to fight and beat this beast, whoohoo!!! 3 cheers for you!!

Chantal
  • nickgunboat
    nickgunboat Member Posts: 35
    Options
    Daisylin said:

Thanks for sharing
    Hi Kirk, and thanks so much for sharing your video with us. I am so glad that you were able to fight and beat this beast, whoohoo!!! 3 cheers for you!!

Chantal

Thanks Chantal and Terry
    Great to meet you both, thanks for the welcome and the kind words. Have a Happy Holiday!

Kirk
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • JReed
    JReed Member Posts: 428
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

William - you and your bike collection!
    You sure do have a collection of bikes. Now it's time for you to get some real horsepower - you would look pretty cool on a Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle V-Rod! Can't wait to see your video!

Kirk - way to go dude! Keep on keeing on and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Judy & Don