Options
2»

Comments

• sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Hal61 said:

doo-do doo-do doo-do doo-do
    Sweet, maybe it's just me, but it seems like the Nizzy tongue gets closer every time I look at that pic . . . or maybe I'm confusing your pic with a TZ episode. Still worth keeping an eye on.
    Hal

Twilight Zone
    Although Nizzy gets a bit shifty sometimes, I think I'm ok. Although, I am not so sure about the pods that showed up in the back yard today.
  • navy261991
    navy261991 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    NJR said:

Maybe
    Mine shrunk to about the same size and has stayed there. They biopsied it and it is nothing but dead tissue. Doc said it would likely be there for a very long time but will eventually be absorbed. He said to keep in mind that is the outer casing of your tumor and is somewhat more resilient than what it contained.

Congratulations, but don't start thinking you're done. You're not, but the hard part is over. I say this because I fell into that trap myself. Now get ready to discover the side effects and treat them. Then there is the ongoing visits and subsequent anxiety over the scans you will have to contend with.

Funny thing about taste. Sour was the first I got back, followed by salt. Both were downright painful. Sweet was last. Just the opposite of others I have talked too. I kind of liken it to brand new taste buds that are mega sensitive. At three months out I can now drink acidic juices and most everything I want barring anything hot or spicy, including even the smallest amounts of ordinary pepper. The doctor said that there is a window of improvement on taste. He said where you are at 6 months on taste is where you will probably remain.

Taste Buds
    NJR - Can you shed any more light on the doctor's comment aboujt the 6 month window of improvement on taste. Can you get any references that can substantiate this claim?
    Thanks,
    Dave - navy261991
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    WTG Roger...
    I knew you had it in you, now you don't....

Glad you finished up everything and can get back on track now.

Sweet was the last thing to completely come back for me...took over 2 years to completely return.

Best,
    John
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    rush1958 said:

Congrats!
    It feels good to cross the finnish line!

As far as taste goes, broccoli was the first thing I could taste. "Green" veggies in general got their taste back within about a week after the end of treatment.

"Sweet" was the last taste to come back. My first hint of sweetness came from a fresh cherry about six weeks out of treatment. 18 months later and it's still improving.

Something you may want to try is sesame seed oil. The chemo doctors suggested that I swish my mouth with sesame seed oil for about 10 minutes once each day. It seemed to work wonders for me. I only did it for a week or so, but I noticed improvement rapidly.

Hi Rush
    First time I heard of the sesame seed oil thing, I think I might try it just to see if it will help with my sweet taste.

Thanks
    Hondo
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hal61 said:

doo-do doo-do doo-do doo-do
    Sweet, maybe it's just me, but it seems like the Nizzy tongue gets closer every time I look at that pic . . . or maybe I'm confusing your pic with a TZ episode. Still worth keeping an eye on.
    Hal

Hal
    I don’t know why but sometimes my Pit will jump up and try to give me a big one right in the mouth. I told my wife we need to stop kissing when the Dog is around.

Monkey sees dog will do

Ha ha ha
    Hondo
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

WTG Roger...
    I knew you had it in you, now you don't....

Glad you finished up everything and can get back on track now.

Sweet was the last thing to completely come back for me...took over 2 years to completely return.

Best,
    John

Roger
    Welcome to the post-tx success club, my friend. Be patient with the recovery, and know every day can be just a little bit better, or a lot, depending on perspective. Does take awhile for the body to heal, but it will. Happy for you and your's.

kcass
  • ac
    ac Member Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Congratulations
    Congratulations Roger!
  • Jimbo55
    Jimbo55 Member Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Good Stuff Roger
    Congrats, it sure is a great feeling walking out of the hospital after that last rad.

Fresh veggies like onions and radishes were the 1st tastes to come back for me. Sweets were probably the last thing to taste right again. I did notice that cookies that were fresh baked tasted much much better than any packaged cookies like chips ahoy etc.

As you begin to feel better and stronger, one thing to be careful of is to take it easy for awhile and build your strength and stamina up slowly and steadily. Its quite easy to overdo it and then the next few days you're wiped out. Hoping for a short recovery for you Roger. Cheers.

Jimbo
  • NJR
    NJR Member Posts: 82
    Options

Taste Buds
    NJR - Can you shed any more light on the doctor's comment aboujt the 6 month window of improvement on taste. Can you get any references that can substantiate this claim?
    Thanks,
    Dave - navy261991

Window on Taste
    To be honest Navy I didn't question it. I was just relieved to hear that I stood a chance at getting my taste back to something resembling normal. I will be glad to investigate it further and probably do what I should already have done and ran it by one or two of my other doctors to see if they concur. I will also have my daughter see if she can dig up a previous study on the topic. She has a great search engine for such research.
  • hawk711
    hawk711 Member Posts: 566
    Options
    Jimbo55 said:

Good Stuff Roger
    Congrats, it sure is a great feeling walking out of the hospital after that last rad.

Fresh veggies like onions and radishes were the 1st tastes to come back for me. Sweets were probably the last thing to taste right again. I did notice that cookies that were fresh baked tasted much much better than any packaged cookies like chips ahoy etc.

As you begin to feel better and stronger, one thing to be careful of is to take it easy for awhile and build your strength and stamina up slowly and steadily. Its quite easy to overdo it and then the next few days you're wiped out. Hoping for a short recovery for you Roger. Cheers.

Jimbo

Roger
    I am just going to repeat what kent cass said above,,,be patient. I know you want normal back as fast as possible, but this takes time. For some, more than other. The Rads continue to heat up and boil down your tumors. I was told the Rads last for months in your system and continue to work (and hinder improvement). So keep your positive mental attitude and enjoy everyday, but remember that things will improve slowly, sometimes tooooo slooooowly, but it does improve. Congrats on being at the end of treatment. that's the first success !!! More to come...
    Merry Christmas,
    Steve
  • tllcaregiver
    tllcaregiver Member Posts: 10
    Options
    osmotar said:

Way to Go!!!! Congrats
    YEAH!!!! to you.

I am about 2 weeks behind you in finishing my rads. I've had to have my last 2 carboplatin infusions postponed as my platelets were to low, so I may have to make those up at then end..but if thats what it is , so be it. I've added more supplemtnsts to my diet, to keep the weight up, no PEG , and don't forsee having to get one this close to the end.

So happy for you and best wishes for your continued improvement with taste and eating.

Linda

no peg?
    Osmotar
    You have done this all without the peg? I am a caregiver and my mom refused the peg but is severely struggling to get food down now. Do you have any tips?