Just diagnosed 2 hours ago.........

Options
2»

Comments

• laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Welcome
    But sorry you had to get here. Yes it is a lot to process. We do a lot of talking it out here. (typing it out).
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    crselby said:

ask your questions here!
    Hi Debbie,

Wow, it's natural to have questions! That means you're thinking and not hiding! Good for you.

Although your doctors are the best people to ask questions of, you can get some really good advice and experience stories by asking your questions here, too.

So, go ahead, ask away! Knowledge sometimes dispels the fear a little.

~~Connie~~

It's always so sad to see
    It's always so sad to see another pink sister join us, but, this site is full of love, support and encouragement. I hope and pray that we can help you in some way.

♥ Kristin ♥
  • ThycaAnne
    ThycaAnne Member Posts: 68
    Options

Welcome
    But sorry you had to get here. Yes it is a lot to process. We do a lot of talking it out here. (typing it out).

The latest news.......
    I have had limited computer access for a while, so I haven't posted. Here's where I am:

Saw a breast surgeon on 12/21, who said it is invasive ductal carcinoma--very early stage 1. I am scheduled for a lumpectomy on the 20th. She tells me that I am an excellent candidate for the brachytherapy (sp?) or partial breast radiation. That's our plan right now--final pathology could change it to regular 5 week rads. I have a consult on Tuesday with a radiation oncologist that specializes in the brachytherapy--so we shall see. She made me get off my HRT (that I have been on for 26 years because of a hysterectomy at age 28); and started me on Effexor for the hot flashes. I went to a half dose of the HRT for a week and have been off them completely for 4 days. I have had 2 bad hot flashes--so far. Has anyone else tried Effexor for hot flashes? I know it's a mild anti-depressant--I've never been on one of these before.

Love to hear from any of you--words of wisdom, warnings, etc., Been thinking about all of you these last few weeks..........

Anne
  • sunnyaz
    sunnyaz Member Posts: 582
    Options
    ThycaAnne said:

The latest news.......
    I have had limited computer access for a while, so I haven't posted. Here's where I am:

Saw a breast surgeon on 12/21, who said it is invasive ductal carcinoma--very early stage 1. I am scheduled for a lumpectomy on the 20th. She tells me that I am an excellent candidate for the brachytherapy (sp?) or partial breast radiation. That's our plan right now--final pathology could change it to regular 5 week rads. I have a consult on Tuesday with a radiation oncologist that specializes in the brachytherapy--so we shall see. She made me get off my HRT (that I have been on for 26 years because of a hysterectomy at age 28); and started me on Effexor for the hot flashes. I went to a half dose of the HRT for a week and have been off them completely for 4 days. I have had 2 bad hot flashes--so far. Has anyone else tried Effexor for hot flashes? I know it's a mild anti-depressant--I've never been on one of these before.

Love to hear from any of you--words of wisdom, warnings, etc., Been thinking about all of you these last few weeks..........

Anne

Hi Anne
    It's me! So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I am keeping you in my prayers. It's good that this was caught early however. I just started visiting the BC pages yesterday to gain information and strength from these lovely ladies.

I am going for my core biopsies on Wednesday (in case you didn't see my Thyca post). Have to postpone the breast surgeon until the week after so she has time to get my results. It's not looking good according to the Radiologist I saw on Friday. I appreciate her honesty with me though. I have two masses instead of the one they told me about originally. . One is in the pectoral muscle (10 mm) and one in the breast tissue possibly ductal. This doesn't surprise me since I have had green breast milk for over 13 years now. I hate this waiting game. So frustrated that my PCP never takes me seriously.

Your Thyca Sister (and now possible Pink Sister),
    Julie-SunnyAZ
  • serenity92
    serenity92 Member Posts: 84
    Options
    sunnyaz said:

Hi Anne
    It's me! So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I am keeping you in my prayers. It's good that this was caught early however. I just started visiting the BC pages yesterday to gain information and strength from these lovely ladies.

I am going for my core biopsies on Wednesday (in case you didn't see my Thyca post). Have to postpone the breast surgeon until the week after so she has time to get my results. It's not looking good according to the Radiologist I saw on Friday. I appreciate her honesty with me though. I have two masses instead of the one they told me about originally. . One is in the pectoral muscle (10 mm) and one in the breast tissue possibly ductal. This doesn't surprise me since I have had green breast milk for over 13 years now. I hate this waiting game. So frustrated that my PCP never takes me seriously.

Julie-SunnyAZ

Hi Anne, I too have
    Hi Anne, I too have experienced more than one cancer. I had a double mastectomy in august. As it was found I could not metabolize Tamoxafin, I had to have my ovaries removed in October. {my cancer is estrogen positive too} This sent me into instant menopause, with awful hot flashes that were keeping me up all night. My oncologist put me on gabapentin for it, cant remember why he said I couldnt do the effexor. It definately helps. While I am still having hot flashes they are fewew and farer between and they dont last as long. Prayers to you. Jayne
  • ThycaAnne
    Options
    sunnyaz said:

Hi Anne

Julie-SunnyAZ

Thyca/Pink Sister.....
    Hi, Julie--

So glad to hear from you again. Thanks for praying for me--I will continue to do the same for you & for us all.....How weird is that we found each other on the Thyca Boards, but have ended up over here on the BC boards.

I did see your thyca post. The one thing I forgot to say was that my thyroid surgeon said that they would continue to monitor me every 6 months. Eventually I will need a neck dissection--but for now; everything looks stable--maybe even a little better than it did 6 months ago. He says I have "persistent thyca".

So now I have to concentrate on the BC. I do find this site so helpful; as I 'm sure you do. So sorry to hear of your masses. Make sure you post Wednesday nite to update us. (I've never heard of green breast milk...!!) Yeah, I agree that it's good to have the Radiologist be honest with you--I would SO rather they be honest than dance around the facts. Maybe your PCP could use some lessons....

Go for that hike today--I'm heading out to run in a few minutes. I find that it does help with the stress. I can think more clearly when I come back. I won't have all the answers--but I will feel better. We don't have places to hike here--so I will pretend I'm hiking to a beautiful spot!!

Praying,

Anne
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    ThycaAnne said:

Many thanks to you all..........
    I just wanted to say that I appreciate the support, hugs & prayers! I will keep you all posted & I'll probably drive you nuts with questions.........I apologize in advance for that!!

I'll post again when I know something.

Anne
    Houston

That's why we're here Anne,
    That's why we're here Anne, to support and to encourage each other in this journey. Sending prayers and lots of cyber hugs!
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    ThycaAnne said:

Many thanks to you all..........
    I just wanted to say that I appreciate the support, hugs & prayers! I will keep you all posted & I'll probably drive you nuts with questions.........I apologize in advance for that!!

I'll post again when I know something.

Anne
    Houston

That's why we're here Anne,
    That's why we're here Anne, to support and to encourage each other in this journey. Sending prayers and lots of cyber hugs!
  • GrammyKaren
    GrammyKaren Member Posts: 96
    Options
    ThycaAnne said:

Thyca/Pink Sister.....
    Hi, Julie--

So glad to hear from you again. Thanks for praying for me--I will continue to do the same for you & for us all.....How weird is that we found each other on the Thyca Boards, but have ended up over here on the BC boards.

I did see your thyca post. The one thing I forgot to say was that my thyroid surgeon said that they would continue to monitor me every 6 months. Eventually I will need a neck dissection--but for now; everything looks stable--maybe even a little better than it did 6 months ago. He says I have "persistent thyca".

So now I have to concentrate on the BC. I do find this site so helpful; as I 'm sure you do. So sorry to hear of your masses. Make sure you post Wednesday nite to update us. (I've never heard of green breast milk...!!) Yeah, I agree that it's good to have the Radiologist be honest with you--I would SO rather they be honest than dance around the facts. Maybe your PCP could use some lessons....

Go for that hike today--I'm heading out to run in a few minutes. I find that it does help with the stress. I can think more clearly when I come back. I won't have all the answers--but I will feel better. We don't have places to hike here--so I will pretend I'm hiking to a beautiful spot!!

Praying,

Anne

Strength in these numbers here
    God bless you and walk with you.
    You not alone
    Love,
    Karen
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    crselby said:

ask your questions here!
    Hi Debbie,

Wow, it's natural to have questions! That means you're thinking and not hiding! Good for you.

Although your doctors are the best people to ask questions of, you can get some really good advice and experience stories by asking your questions here, too.

So, go ahead, ask away! Knowledge sometimes dispels the fear a little.

~~Connie~~

Just saying hi and welcoming
    Just saying hi and welcoming you Debbie!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    checking back in to see how
    checking back in to see how things are going..

Denise
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options

checking back in to see how
    checking back in to see how things are going..

Denise

Popping in to say hi to both
    Popping in to say hi to both you thyca girls and ask away any and all questions you have.

Pink prayers,
    Lorrie
  • ThycaAnne
    Options

Popping in to say hi to both
    Popping in to say hi to both you thyca girls and ask away any and all questions you have.

Pink prayers,
    Lorrie

So about these AI's.....
    Hi, Lorrie, Julie, et al.....

So been getting all my appointments lined up. Saw the radiation oncologist Tuesday & we are a "go" for the APBI (accelerated partial breast radiation)--depending on the pathology, of course. Surgery on the 20th, meet the rad onc on the 25th to decide which catheter to insert, mapping out the rads on the 27th, start the twice a day rads on the 30th. I also see a breast oncologist on the 27th to discuss further treatment.

Does everyone have to be put on a medication for 5 years after? Is this mandatory? I have been reading posts on the boards about all the side effects--WOW!! Some sound worse than the disease itself!! Seems to me that the quality of life would be more important. So what is everyone on & what has your experience been with the "after" meds? (I think I posted that I'm 54 & had a hysterectomy when I was 28. The surgeon took me off the HRT 2 weeks ago--taking Effexor for the hot flashes. ) I'm a very active person--runner, spin classes, Pilates, etc.--so reading some of the side effects where people have such bad joint & muscle pain is a little frightening!! I am on lifetime thyroid medication because of my thyca & it is not easy keeping those levels exactly right. I worry about taking another medication & then dealing with the consequences of maybe throwing off my levels of thyroid meds. Anyone with thyroid issues knows what I mean.

I have to say this board has been so helpful this past month since I was diagnosed. I don't know if I would be so calm if I hadn't found you!! I hate that we're on this ride--but at least we're on it together!!

Praying for us all.......

Anne
  • ThycaAnne
    Options
    crselby said:

Hi Anne,
    I had ductal

Hi Anne,
    I had ductal carcinoma in-situ. I'm confused by "invasive ductal carinoma in situ" because the "in situ" means the tumor hasn't invaded the surrounding tissue. Anyway, what I had, the DCIS, turned out to be the best possible type of breast cancer for me to have. I hope yours, like mine, is limited to one spot. If so, I hope you can have, as I did, a lumpectomy. In the reading I did before and after my surgery, I learned that a lumpectomy plus radiation has been shown to be as effective against any recurrence as a mastectomy.

For me, one breast is a little smaller than the other which is not noticeable in clothes. My life is pretty normal, now, 2 years out from the surgery and radiation, except for more frequent mammograms and ultrasounds. But there was a time when I thought life would NEVER be the same again. It consisted of doctor visit after doctor visit. I maxed out the out-of-pocket portion of my insurance that year and had no out of pocket costs after that until January of the next year!

For a lot of sisters on this board, life is radically different after a breast cancer diagnosis. For my DCIS diagnosis two years ago, I can say life IS back to normal, just slightly altered. I am 60 now (57 at diagnosis) and feel any breast cancer is behind me. I have learned MANY things about myself and about breast cancer since then. I will NEVER say that having cancer was good for me. But I am past it now. And I am writing this to you because, at the stage you're at, I desperately wanted to hear from a 'survivor' who felt good. I call myself a "veteran", not a survivor because the latter word implies to me that I was somehow a victim. But either way, a normal life is VERY possible. There is a 'future' Anne, looking back and cheering you on, telling you, "you can do this; take one step at a time and you will soon see the light at the end of the tunnel!"

My best wishes to you. I'll be looking for your posts as you progress.

~~Connie~~

Hi, Connie (or maybe I'll call you Veteran!)
    Don't know if you have seen my latest posts, but it was invasive ductal carcinoma. I will be having a lumpectomy on the 20th. Depending on the pathology, I'm scheduled for accelerated partial breast rads (twice/day for 5 days!!) It was Stage 1, .5 cm, grade 2 Er+/PR+/Her2 -. As you know, I've been down this cancer road with my thyroid cancer--so I guess I'm a veteran, too--in a way. Breast cancer seems a little different/scary somehow. I am so happy that I have connected with you all in this club noone wants to join!!

I have been doing some research & wondered if everyone takes these AI's for 5 years afterwards. I haven't had ovaries since 1985; I was on HRT until 3 weeks ago. My surgeon has me on Effexor to fight the hot flashes--but so far--had only 2 bad ones in the first couple of days--& now nothing. Of course, I have been reading about all the side effects from the AI's--I'm just not sure it's a good thing to take them!! Aren't we entitled to have a decent quality of life when this is over??? I assume that we will all have more frequent mammograms & ultrasounds; so won't that be enough?

Thanks for your encouraging words--it is great to hear from someone who feels good!! I'm a really active upbeat person--you sound like you are, too.

Will talk soon,

Anne
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    ThycaAnne said:

So about these AI's.....

So been getting all my appointments lined up. Saw the radiation oncologist Tuesday & we are a "go" for the APBI (accelerated partial breast radiation)--depending on the pathology, of course. Surgery on the 20th, meet the rad onc on the 25th to decide which catheter to insert, mapping out the rads on the 27th, start the twice a day rads on the 30th. I also see a breast oncologist on the 27th to discuss further treatment.

Does everyone have to be put on a medication for 5 years after? Is this mandatory? I have been reading posts on the boards about all the side effects--WOW!! Some sound worse than the disease itself!! Seems to me that the quality of life would be more important. So what is everyone on & what has your experience been with the "after" meds? (I think I posted that I'm 54 & had a hysterectomy when I was 28. The surgeon took me off the HRT 2 weeks ago--taking Effexor for the hot flashes. ) I'm a very active person--runner, spin classes, Pilates, etc.--so reading some of the side effects where people have such bad joint & muscle pain is a little frightening!! I am on lifetime thyroid medication because of my thyca & it is not easy keeping those levels exactly right. I worry about taking another medication & then dealing with the consequences of maybe throwing off my levels of thyroid meds. Anyone with thyroid issues knows what I mean.

I have to say this board has been so helpful this past month since I was diagnosed. I don't know if I would be so calm if I hadn't found you!! I hate that we're on this ride--but at least we're on it together!!

Anne

NO side effects
    I'm on anastrozole (generic Arimidex). Started one year ago. I was scared to death because of potential side effects. I finally figured out that I would never know if I was going to have side effects or not unless I took the doggone things. I have absolutely no side effects and this is good, because my onc says (for me) this may be more important than the chemo. So bring 'em on! I have a good friend who is on the "Dutch study" and has been on it for 7 years now. She is scared to death to go off and it's time. She believes (and her husband is a rad onc and agrees) this has been keeping her cancer from recurring. She may keep taking it forever, she says.

Enough of that rah, rah, rah, aromotase inhibitor bandwagon. I would definitely discuss this with your oncologist if I were you. Since you were on HRT and no longer are, this was obviously a major source of estrogen and it's gone now. Did your hysterectomy also include removing your ovaries? If so, they're gone so not producing any estrogen. The other culprit is body fat. Sounds like you're pretty fit, so I'm assuming not overweight. Our oncologists want to do everything they can to keep the beast from rearing its ugly head again. If your tumor was ER+, they don't want you having any estrogen.

BTW, your pathology sounds a lot like mine: IDC, Stage 1b, grade 2, er/pr+, HER-2 neg; my tumor was .9 cm. My tumor margins were not clear at surgery, but the chunk of boob they removed and called a partial mastectomy, was fine. I was and am overweight. I had a hysterectomy and oophorectomy because I also had endometrial cancer. I was not on HRT, but had been several years prior for about 5 years. My thyroid function is normal, but I do have nodules that are watched and were biopsied about 10 years ago. We're similar, but different.

Suzanne
  • ThycaAnne
    Options

NO side effects
    I'm on anastrozole (generic Arimidex). Started one year ago. I was scared to death because of potential side effects. I finally figured out that I would never know if I was going to have side effects or not unless I took the doggone things. I have absolutely no side effects and this is good, because my onc says (for me) this may be more important than the chemo. So bring 'em on! I have a good friend who is on the "Dutch study" and has been on it for 7 years now. She is scared to death to go off and it's time. She believes (and her husband is a rad onc and agrees) this has been keeping her cancer from recurring. She may keep taking it forever, she says.

Enough of that rah, rah, rah, aromotase inhibitor bandwagon. I would definitely discuss this with your oncologist if I were you. Since you were on HRT and no longer are, this was obviously a major source of estrogen and it's gone now. Did your hysterectomy also include removing your ovaries? If so, they're gone so not producing any estrogen. The other culprit is body fat. Sounds like you're pretty fit, so I'm assuming not overweight. Our oncologists want to do everything they can to keep the beast from rearing its ugly head again. If your tumor was ER+, they don't want you having any estrogen.

BTW, your pathology sounds a lot like mine: IDC, Stage 1b, grade 2, er/pr+, HER-2 neg; my tumor was .9 cm. My tumor margins were not clear at surgery, but the chunk of boob they removed and called a partial mastectomy, was fine. I was and am overweight. I had a hysterectomy and oophorectomy because I also had endometrial cancer. I was not on HRT, but had been several years prior for about 5 years. My thyroid function is normal, but I do have nodules that are watched and were biopsied about 10 years ago. We're similar, but different.

Suzanne

Hi, Suzanne
    The docs aren't talking chemo for me--just rads. And like I said, hopefully the short version.

No, I haven't had ovaries (or uterus) since 1985--so only estrogen I've had in my body has been the HRT. Actually for the past 10 years, I've been one that is half estrogen & half testosterone. Yes, I'm pretty fit. Have always been active-running, spinning, etc. Since my thyroidectomy a year and a half ago, I've gained about 15 lbs. that I just could NOT get rid of. Since I have been off the HRT & with the stress of the new dx, I've lost 7 of those pounds. So , there is a positive, right?!?! Part of it is the Effexor the surgeon gave me for the hot flashes--kills your appetite.

Yours does sound a lot like mine. And I have to say--you're one of the very few that doesn't have side effects from the AI's--great news for you!! Of course, I have no idea what they'll tell me after the surgery.....but I'm just trying to do all the research I can so I know what to ask.

Thanks for replying--I may be calling on you again!!

Anne
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    ThycaAnne said:

So about these AI's.....

Anne

Sending good luck and
    Sending good luck and prayers to you Anne!