Is it bone spread

Options
Hello all

Searching for information on the partial collapse of the mid thoracic vertebra, does this xray result mean the cancer has now spread to the spine??

Many thanks

Kit

Comments

• chemosmoker
    chemosmoker Member Posts: 501
    Options
    collapse of the mid thoracic vertebra...
    Here is the technical (too technical for THIS probably) but I would think a PET or CT scan would answer these questions? Any scans planned?
    -Eric
    ________________________________________________________________________________________

In the sense of a deformity, it is the pathological curving of the spine, where parts of the spinal column lose some or all of their lordotic profile. This causes a bowing of the back, seen as a slouching posture.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    While most cases of kyphosis are mild and only require routine monitoring, serious cases can be debilitating. High degrees of kyphosis can cause severe pain and discomfort, breathing and digestion difficulties, cardiovascular irregularities, neurological compromise, and in the more severe cases, significantly shortened life-spans. These types of high end curves typically do not respond well to conservative treatment, and almost always warrant spinal fusion surgery, which can successfully restore the body's natural degree of curvature.
    The Cobb angle is the preferred method of measuring kyphosis.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyphosis

Hope this might help??

Eric
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • minikit
    minikit Member Posts: 23
    Options

collapse of the mid thoracic vertebra...
    Here is the technical (too technical for THIS probably) but I would think a PET or CT scan would answer these questions? Any scans planned?
    -Eric
    ________________________________________________________________________________________

In the sense of a deformity, it is the pathological curving of the spine, where parts of the spinal column lose some or all of their lordotic profile. This causes a bowing of the back, seen as a slouching posture.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    While most cases of kyphosis are mild and only require routine monitoring, serious cases can be debilitating. High degrees of kyphosis can cause severe pain and discomfort, breathing and digestion difficulties, cardiovascular irregularities, neurological compromise, and in the more severe cases, significantly shortened life-spans. These types of high end curves typically do not respond well to conservative treatment, and almost always warrant spinal fusion surgery, which can successfully restore the body's natural degree of curvature.
    The Cobb angle is the preferred method of measuring kyphosis.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyphosis

Hope this might help??

Eric

Hello Eric
    Thank you for

Hello Eric

Thank you for making the time to respond and my apologies for not replying sooner.

The information has been very helpful, the primary doc. ordered further x-ray's and had the results that day.

A barium swallow was done, I was present for this and I'm reasonably sure there is a white mass and further down a narrowing.

I have been trying to obtain both results but no one will release them, the primary doc. claims not to have them yet she is able to access via isoft.

It is a long story and I would not believe it if we weren't living it. Briefly hubby wasn't offered any treatment, finally after heated words offered chemoradation received 30 radiation and two chemos (1 over 24hours, 2 over 4 days). During follow up some six weeks ago told he was "cured" and would make a full recovery. Sadly hubby still believes this despite his health deteriorating each day.

Were to from here I just don't know, perhaps my thinking would improve with a few hours sleep.

kit
  • minikit
    minikit Member Posts: 23
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

is it bone spread
    Hi Sherri

Thank you for the reply

Diagnosis SC t3 stage3 tumor 10cm

Sorry have not done about me page maybe at a later stage.

kit
  • TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    Options
    minikit said:

is it bone spread
    Hi Sherri

Thank you for the reply

Diagnosis SC t3 stage3 tumor 10cm

Sorry have not done about me page maybe at a later stage.

kit

EC Stage 3?
    Kit,

EC Stage 3 should be an operable stage. You need to PUSH the doctors for next steps. Chemo & Rads aren't enough if surgery is an option. You've read here how aggressive this damn cancer is. Please don't let it make you & your husband another addition to the bad statistics!

I hope you are able to get answers soon on how to proceed. Sometimes it take a shove to get the doctors moving.....

With much concern,

Terry
    wife to Nick, age 48
    dx T3N1M0 05/19/11
    THE 09/08/11
    Clean Path 09/13/11