Jeff in hospital

Options
NikiMo
NikiMo Member Posts: 342
Hi friends,

Asking for some prayers and positive thoughts tonight for Jeff. Yesterday we went to the ER because he had the chills. By the time he got to the hospital his fever was 102. They took blood and he is neutropenic, so he was admitted and now we are basically in quarantine to prevent infections. We are still waiting for the blood and urine cultures to come back. He is feeling ok, but wants to go home. Please put some positive thoughts out there for us.

Thanks
Niki

Comments

• mruble
    mruble Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Prayers coming your way
    Niki -

it's good that you took him in right away. Some of us had to learn the hard way. Praying that he'll be back home again soon - infection free.

Mary
  • cher76
    cher76 Member Posts: 292
    Options
    Prayers coming your way
    Niki,
    So sorry to hear Jeff is in the hospital. I know how frightening that can be. Everything I have read from you tells me Jeff is a fighter, and that is a big positive right there. Know that you both will be in our prayers,
    Cheryl
  • ritawaite13
    ritawaite13 Member Posts: 236
    Options
    Positive thoughts your way
    Hi Nikki,
    I'm sure this was very scary. I had to google neutropenic to see just what that is. I pray they will get this under control soon so Jeff can go home. I'm glad he's feeling okay and hopefully, he will get his wish to go home very soon.
    Hugs
    Rita
  • AngieD
    AngieD Member Posts: 493
    Options
    cher76 said:

Prayers coming your way
    Niki,
    So sorry to hear Jeff is in the hospital. I know how frightening that can be. Everything I have read from you tells me Jeff is a fighter, and that is a big positive right there. Know that you both will be in our prayers,
    Cheryl

Definitely sending prayers
    Definitely sending prayers and good thoughts to both of you, Nikki. It's great that you quickly got him to where the source of the infection can be (hopefully) quickly found and treated. Keep us posted.
    Angie
  • JReed
    JReed Member Posts: 428
    Options
    Jeff
    Hi Niki

So sorry to hear that Jeff is in the hospital, but they should be getting him back on his feet soon.

We are new to this site - my husband has not been staged yet. I am trying to learn the EC language and I don't know what neutropenic means or what causes it? If you have time, would you mind providing that info?

Hope Jeff is up and running soon - if he's feeling okay and wanting to go home, that's usually a good sign.

Positive thoughts coming your way.

Thank you,
    Judy & Don
  • TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    Options
    Lots of positive thoughts & bundles of prayers
    ....are coming your way, Niki!

You are such a great caregiver! Jeff needs a strong warrior beside him in this fight. Glad you are right there in the fight with him.

Good thinking getting Jeff straight to ER. He's in the right place to get things corrected quickly. Scary when your loved one's temp goes above 100 while in chemo.

Prayers that he recovers quickly and is able to get back to his own bed soon.

Love & Hugs to you!

Terry

For Judy & Don - Neutropenic: Chemotherapy can reduce your white blood cell count. A low white blood cell count means your immune system isn't as strong as it could be and you are at increased risk of infection and interruptions in your chemotherapy. From http://www.neulasta.com/patient/about/about-low-white-blood-cell-count.html
  • Cora11
    Cora11 Member Posts: 173
    Options
    TerryV said:

Lots of positive thoughts & bundles of prayers
    ....are coming your way, Niki!

You are such a great caregiver! Jeff needs a strong warrior beside him in this fight. Glad you are right there in the fight with him.

Good thinking getting Jeff straight to ER. He's in the right place to get things corrected quickly. Scary when your loved one's temp goes above 100 while in chemo.

Prayers that he recovers quickly and is able to get back to his own bed soon.

Love & Hugs to you!

Terry

For Judy & Don - Neutropenic: Chemotherapy can reduce your white blood cell count. A low white blood cell count means your immune system isn't as strong as it could be and you are at increased risk of infection and interruptions in your chemotherapy. From http://www.neulasta.com/patient/about/about-low-white-blood-cell-count.html

For Jeff and Nikki
    I am sending big time prayers, meditations to you and Jeff. He must still be getting chemo. I shall meditate on warrior neutrophils and that Jeff's bone marrow gets back to full capacity. C'mon neutrophils! Do your job! We want happy, strong, tough neutrophils for Jeff. Nothing but the best!
    Love
    Cora
  • Ericalynn
    Ericalynn Member Posts: 200
    Options
    Positive Thoughts!
    Niki,
    Sending thoughts and prayers your way.
    Jeff is a fighter and with you by his side he is going to fight this off and get back to feeling better.
    Love to you both
    Keep us posted
    Erica
  • sangora
    sangora Member Posts: 213
    Options
    Ericalynn said:

Positive Thoughts!
    Niki,
    Sending thoughts and prayers your way.
    Jeff is a fighter and with you by his side he is going to fight this off and get back to feeling better.
    Love to you both
    Keep us posted
    Erica

Judy/neutropenia
    Is the distruction of our immune system from chemo treatments. Been there, done that on several occasions. When the immune system crashes, the stage is set for infection. Some of us that do this regularly have been put on a shot that helps the body rebuild white cells which are the cells that fight infections. If one gets to the hospital quickly and stays (Jeff) til the doc turns you loose, it is not a big problem though on the front end can be a little scarey. It definately is not something to mess around with. Hope this helps. Sam
  • chemosmoker
    chemosmoker Member Posts: 501
    Options
    HEROES COME HOME FAST!!
    Niki,
    You and Jeff are some of my heroes. Jeff may get a shot of Nulasta? Can they do that for this as I thought that is exactly what it was for?? I duuno with my no chemo experience but BIG prayer are sure headed your way and we are standing by to help and pray more and more.

Jeff is so strong and you have made it obvious how strong you are.

God bless and get him home.

Eric
  • paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Prayers coming your way!!
    Niki,

You can be sure I will be praying that Jeff's white count is back to normal quickly. I am sure he is frustrated with staying in the hospital but that is the safest place for him right now.

Hope for better news soon.

Best Regards,

Paul Adams
    McCormick, South Carolina
  • MissusB
    MissusB Member Posts: 111
    Options
    paul61 said:

Prayers coming your way!!
    Niki,

You can be sure I will be praying that Jeff's white count is back to normal quickly. I am sure he is frustrated with staying in the hospital but that is the safest place for him right now.

Hope for better news soon.

Best Regards,

Paul Adams
    McCormick, South Carolina

Sending prayers, Miss Niki!
    I was just thinking about you and Jeff this morning and while I'm glad to hear from you, I wish it were better news. Just a "bump in the road", Niki...you'll get through it and I'll send all the prayers I can to help. Love to you - Kim

p.s. Bill started his post-op chemo yesterday - 13 weeks out - but you were one of the very first to guide me here when IU wouldn't do it. With the encouragement from everyone on the site we kept pushing until we found an oncologist to recommend it - five oncologists later - but we were successful. Just hope all the time looking for the right doctor doesn't compromise Bill's situation!
  • JReed
    JReed Member Posts: 428
    Options
    sangora said:

Judy/neutropenia
    Is the distruction of our immune system from chemo treatments. Been there, done that on several occasions. When the immune system crashes, the stage is set for infection. Some of us that do this regularly have been put on a shot that helps the body rebuild white cells which are the cells that fight infections. If one gets to the hospital quickly and stays (Jeff) til the doc turns you loose, it is not a big problem though on the front end can be a little scarey. It definately is not something to mess around with. Hope this helps. Sam

Neutropenia
    Thanks Sam

Very nice explanation and wishing you and Jeff a quick recovery from this. Hopefully the doctors warn people that this can happen and what signs to look for so you can get to the hospital quickly.

Thank you so much,
    Judy
  • Donna70
    Donna70 Member Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    MissusB said:

Sending prayers, Miss Niki!
    I was just thinking about you and Jeff this morning and while I'm glad to hear from you, I wish it were better news. Just a "bump in the road", Niki...you'll get through it and I'll send all the prayers I can to help. Love to you - Kim

p.s. Bill started his post-op chemo yesterday - 13 weeks out - but you were one of the very first to guide me here when IU wouldn't do it. With the encouragement from everyone on the site we kept pushing until we found an oncologist to recommend it - five oncologists later - but we were successful. Just hope all the time looking for the right doctor doesn't compromise Bill's situation!

prayers for Jeff
    Hi Nikki,
    Prayers coming for Jeff and he has to listen to the drs about staying till the neutropenia clears. Had it when I was on chemo and you can't fool around with the stuff and isolation is a pain but you don't want something worse. Jeff is a rock star and he will beat this stuff. take care, hugs,
    Donna70
  • sammy123
    sammy123 Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Donna70 said:

prayers for Jeff
    Hi Nikki,
    Prayers coming for Jeff and he has to listen to the drs about staying till the neutropenia clears. Had it when I was on chemo and you can't fool around with the stuff and isolation is a pain but you don't want something worse. Jeff is a rock star and he will beat this stuff. take care, hugs,
    Donna70

Sorry to hear that
    Sorry to hear that Nikki-hope he is on neutropenic precautions with everyone washing hands well and he is on the mend. These set-backs happen and then hopefully you and he will be back on the highway of recovery. Good hydration and good sense of humor needed.
  • fredswilma
    fredswilma Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Hi Niki
    Thinking of you and Jeff, I know how scary this is for you, it seems like you have got on top of it early and he is now in the safest hands, wishing a quick and full recovery, so Jeff can get back home.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you both.
    Ann
  • T-Bird
    T-Bird Member Posts: 25
    Options

Hi Niki
    Thinking of you and Jeff, I know how scary this is for you, it seems like you have got on top of it early and he is now in the safest hands, wishing a quick and full recovery, so Jeff can get back home.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you both.
    Ann

prayers for you & Jeff...
    Sorry to read this Niki - lots of thoughts & prayers coming your way!