Started new chemo and he added herceptin???

Options
camul
camul Member Posts: 2,537
This was a surprise yesterday. He said I was on the cusp of her neg/pos and nothing else was working so he was able to get approval from insurance so I started on it yesterday with the loading dose. It can't hurt at this point?

Asked him what the chances were of losing my new eyebrows, eyelashes and hair, as it is coming back pretty good after being off chemo for 8 weeks, he laughed and told me to take a picture. My son and I both cracked up! I finally have a little more than a quarter inch of eyelash!

Wasn't feeling too well last night however, I have an appetite this morning! Hope that it stays this way as I am now on the weekly plan with the 4th week of just xgeva and herceptin. Never knew the true meaning of exhaustion until this fight!

Prayers and good wishes to all,
Carol

Comments

  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    herceptin
    Herceptin won't make your hair fall out. It's not like "other" chemo. I'm not sure of all the details but I do know that there are very few side-effects ... the main thing I think they have to keep an eye on is your heart ... which they will no doubt be monitoring closely. You'll do fine.

    hugs.
    teena
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    HER2 Support Group
    Hi,

    I have a friend who is HER2 and post to that forum. It might help you with questions about Herceptin and having that added feature to your breast cancer.

    http://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php

    Best wishes with this drug.

    Doris
  • epark
    epark Member Posts: 339
    Options
    SIROD said:

    HER2 Support Group
    Hi,

    I have a friend who is HER2 and post to that forum. It might help you with questions about Herceptin and having that added feature to your breast cancer.

    http://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php

    Best wishes with this drug.

    Doris

    love the hair
    love the hair humor....hopefully this new treatment will not effect your appetite....good luck my friend

    tons of hugs
    Eva
  • gami43
    gami43 Member Posts: 281
    Options
    epark said:

    love the hair
    love the hair humor....hopefully this new treatment will not effect your appetite....good luck my friend

    tons of hugs
    Eva

    Carol, I'm sending prayers
    Carol, I'm sending prayers and good wishes for your new
    treatment regimen. Hopefully the s/e won't be harsh for you.
    You've got a good start on those eyelashes girl; mine are just
    starting to come back after losing them the second time!

    Luv ya, Teresa
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    SIROD said:

    HER2 Support Group
    Hi,

    I have a friend who is HER2 and post to that forum. It might help you with questions about Herceptin and having that added feature to your breast cancer.

    http://her2support.org/vbulletin/index.php

    Best wishes with this drug.

    Doris

    Praying for you Carol!Hugs,
    Praying for you Carol!


    Hugs, Leeza
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    epark said:

    love the hair
    love the hair humor....hopefully this new treatment will not effect your appetite....good luck my friend

    tons of hugs
    Eva

    You've got a great sense of
    You've got a great sense of humor! Hoping and praying for this new treatment.


    Hugs, Jan
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    jnl said:

    Praying for you Carol!Hugs,
    Praying for you Carol!


    Hugs, Leeza

    Carol...
    I am wishing you the best on the addition of this new chemo cocktail....what ever it takes to fight the beast!

    You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers....
    Big hugs,
    Nancy
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    jnl said:

    Praying for you Carol!Hugs,
    Praying for you Carol!


    Hugs, Leeza

    Interesting about the Herceptin
    Hoping all goes well with this new ammunition, Carol. Sending hugs and prayers

    Suzanne
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

    Interesting about the Herceptin
    Hoping all goes well with this new ammunition, Carol. Sending hugs and prayers

    Suzanne

    That is exciting. I hope it
    That is exciting. I hope it is effective and you are feeling well this weekend. Keep up the good fight, I know it is hard!
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

    Interesting about the Herceptin
    Hoping all goes well with this new ammunition, Carol. Sending hugs and prayers

    Suzanne

    I hope you are feeling
    I hope you are feeling better and can eat. I don't anything about Herceptin, but, I pray it will work for you.


    Hugs, Megan
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    Carol I'm so glad your doc
    Carol I'm so glad your doc is willing to go to bat with the insurance for you. Sending my prayers that the herceptin is easy on you, and that you keep your appetite!

    Hugs,

    Linda
  • BetsyJane
    BetsyJane Member Posts: 127
    Options
    I am on herceptin
    Herceptin is one drug with the least amount of side affects. I have been on Herceptin since May. I was started on it while I was getting Taxol. I will continue to take Herceptin for one year. I get muga scans every 3-4 months to make sure this drug isn't affecting my heart as that can be a side affect. So far, my heart level function has decreased a little bit but not to the point where I must discontinue the drug. I actually am getting a muga scan this coming Thursday.

    You should buy or rent the movie "Living Proof". It's a "true story" all about the drug Herceptin and how it came to be and how it has helped thousands of women battling breast cancer. I too was afraid to get this drug but after watching this movie, it left me with a very positive feeling and I am thankful I am one of the lucky ones to be able to get this drug to fight my cancer. Some women don't have the option of getting it as you must be HER+ in order for it to work.

    Good luck and God Bless.

    Betsy
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    BetsyJane said:

    I am on herceptin
    Herceptin is one drug with the least amount of side affects. I have been on Herceptin since May. I was started on it while I was getting Taxol. I will continue to take Herceptin for one year. I get muga scans every 3-4 months to make sure this drug isn't affecting my heart as that can be a side affect. So far, my heart level function has decreased a little bit but not to the point where I must discontinue the drug. I actually am getting a muga scan this coming Thursday.

    You should buy or rent the movie "Living Proof". It's a "true story" all about the drug Herceptin and how it came to be and how it has helped thousands of women battling breast cancer. I too was afraid to get this drug but after watching this movie, it left me with a very positive feeling and I am thankful I am one of the lucky ones to be able to get this drug to fight my cancer. Some women don't have the option of getting it as you must be HER+ in order for it to work.

    Good luck and God Bless.

    Betsy

    Dear Carol
    I did TCH - Taxotere, Carboplatin, and Herceptin. I did 18 consecutive rounds of TC and one year of herceptin.Halfway through the taxotere I started getting neuropathy in my fingers and feet - also I started to faint from fatigue, so we switched me to weekly taxol. Same symptoms, same side efforts of Taxotere -- build up of chemo in my body -- how much Herceptin contribute to my symptoms ??? .. However, my heart was closely monitored with echo cardiogram --.

    I hadn't know about how effective l-glutamine was for neuropathy at that time.

    Just my story ..

    Best of luck,

    Vicki Sam
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    I hope it all goes well for
    I hope it all goes well for you. I had to do Herceptin. They will monitor your heart function. Mine did go from the upper end of normal to the lower end of normal at which point the Onc. had me take a 4 month break. We did resume and I did have all my treatments. I finished at the end of August this year. I just had a MUGA scan again and my heart is recovering very well.

    I didn't seem to have any side effects from Herceptin but had plenty from the chemo (AC & T). The Herceptin part for me seemed to be the easiest of all the BC treatments (chemo, surgery and radiation).

    take care
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    BetsyJane said:

    I am on herceptin
    Herceptin is one drug with the least amount of side affects. I have been on Herceptin since May. I was started on it while I was getting Taxol. I will continue to take Herceptin for one year. I get muga scans every 3-4 months to make sure this drug isn't affecting my heart as that can be a side affect. So far, my heart level function has decreased a little bit but not to the point where I must discontinue the drug. I actually am getting a muga scan this coming Thursday.

    You should buy or rent the movie "Living Proof". It's a "true story" all about the drug Herceptin and how it came to be and how it has helped thousands of women battling breast cancer. I too was afraid to get this drug but after watching this movie, it left me with a very positive feeling and I am thankful I am one of the lucky ones to be able to get this drug to fight my cancer. Some women don't have the option of getting it as you must be HER+ in order for it to work.

    Good luck and God Bless.

    Betsy

    Wishing you the best of
    Wishing you the best of luck!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    tgf said:

    herceptin
    Herceptin won't make your hair fall out. It's not like "other" chemo. I'm not sure of all the details but I do know that there are very few side-effects ... the main thing I think they have to keep an eye on is your heart ... which they will no doubt be monitoring closely. You'll do fine.

    hugs.
    teena

    Glad your insurance approved
    Glad your insurance approved the new chemo and I hope and pray that you will do well on it Carol.


    Hugs to you,


    Kylez
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

    Carol I'm so glad your doc
    Carol I'm so glad your doc is willing to go to bat with the insurance for you. Sending my prayers that the herceptin is easy on you, and that you keep your appetite!

    Hugs,

    Linda

    Carol, I'm praying for
    Carol, I'm praying for you.

    ♥ Kristin ♥