Hi, new to this board.

I am not sure yet if I have Ovarian cancer. I had oral cancer and just recently got my 2nd pet scan to make sure it was all clear. The results came back great for my head and neck, but not so great for my ovary. I just saw my pcp yesterday about all the pain I've been in, my lower back, hips legs, etc. She suggested I talk with my onco that I was getting my results from yesterday afternoon. The pain is just horrible. Advil & Tylenol don't help much. Anyway the onco read the pet and said something is going on with my left ovary, something was there and there was increased blood flow. So now I have to go in for an MRI to see if it's a cyst or cancer and I'm scared to death. Most of the pain is on my left side BTW. Anyway, any others have a situation similiar to mine?

Comments

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Sorry you are having pain
    Sorry you are having pain and that the advil and tylenol don't help much. I usually never took anytype of medication, but had started having pain which started in my back and then radiating down my leg. I was also starting to have bowel issues. Started to take motrin on a daily basis. Of course, I sought physician care. Got a colonoscopy - negative. Went to gyne. Had an internal ultrasound - negative (except for a tilted uterus) and then ended up having a laparoscopy which showed that I had endometriosis (no cancer). The pain was so bad by this time that I was given a narcotic because if I waited it took over 3 hours for the meds to take affect and the pain was so bad by this time that I felt like passing out. I was told I needed a hysterectomy but they wanted me on lupron for six months to help "soften" the scar tissues to help with the surgery.

So after seven months, I had a hysterectomy. It wasn't until after the path came back that they even found cancer, both in my uterus and my left ovary. So I had to have another surgery for staging. The staging surgery was negative but I did treat with chemo for Grade 2, Stage iiia endometrial adenocarcinoma. That was back in September of 2005.

Question: You indicated you had a PET scan. Did it show an increase of FDG? Did it "light up"? Now if you had a CT scan, it would not show active cancer cells but could show haziness, etc., and I could see why they would want another type of test.

My best to you. Sending comforting thoughts your way. I hope you can get your pain under control.

Kathy
  • Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Sorry you're going through this
    Your description was vague, but if your doctor only sees actvity in your left ovary, if it is cancer, it sounds as if it is very contained. Hopefully your further tests will show that you have nothing to worry about.
  • kingcole42005
    kingcole42005 Member Posts: 178
    Tethys41 said:

Sorry you're going through this
    Your description was vague, but if your doctor only sees actvity in your left ovary, if it is cancer, it sounds as if it is very contained. Hopefully your further tests will show that you have nothing to worry about.

Thank you both for you encouraging words.
    I'm sorry but I wasn't given much info regarding what was going on, and because I was in such shock I forgot to ask. My onco did call me back and I asked her the size, it is 3 cm by 3 cm and it was there on my previous PET but is now showing increased blood flow? Whatever the heck that means. She just gave me enough info to scare the crap out of me. My MRI is tomorrow and should have results by Friday. I have to say, I've been debilitated with fear. I just don't want cancer again, but I guess no one does, right? I'm just freaking out, because I don't know what it is. Thanks again, Shelly
  • Radioactive34
    Radioactive34 Member Posts: 391 Member

Thank you both for you encouraging words.
    I'm sorry but I wasn't given much info regarding what was going on, and because I was in such shock I forgot to ask. My onco did call me back and I asked her the size, it is 3 cm by 3 cm and it was there on my previous PET but is now showing increased blood flow? Whatever the heck that means. She just gave me enough info to scare the crap out of me. My MRI is tomorrow and should have results by Friday. I have to say, I've been debilitated with fear. I just don't want cancer again, but I guess no one does, right? I'm just freaking out, because I don't know what it is. Thanks again, Shelly

I freak out all the time.
    I freak out all the time. The gals here keep me in check. Somedays I can deal pretty good. Though the world sees maybe a slightly depressed person or someone with a constant runny nose. Here I can panic and not worry about my family. I love that about this board. Many a time the Teal Sisters have helped me pull up my big girl panties.

:) Sometimes they even make me lol all day long
  • LaundryQueen
    LaundryQueen Member Posts: 676

I freak out all the time.
    I freak out all the time. The gals here keep me in check. Somedays I can deal pretty good. Though the world sees maybe a slightly depressed person or someone with a constant runny nose. Here I can panic and not worry about my family. I love that about this board. Many a time the Teal Sisters have helped me pull up my big girl panties.

:) Sometimes they even make me lol all day long

Whatever you are dealing
    Whatever you are dealing with, it's better to prepare for the worst case scenario. A malignant tumor will create a new blood supply. Waiting & not knowing is the hardest part. If it is cancer, you will be finding out a lot sooner than if you had never had a PET scan.

And if it is cancer, you have a good chance of it being non-invasive and staged as an early cancer. Best wishes for your future.
  • sharingshoes
    sharingshoes Member Posts: 5
    I was in the same situation,
    I was in the same situation, I'm now 18 but at age 15 I felt my stomach was bloated for several days and my back would hurt as I woke up. I would eat small amounts and feel instantly full, until one morning I woke up with extreme back pains. I later found out that I had a tumour, which they told me was on my intestine at first. Once through surgery they realized it was on my ovary, but due to its size (about 2L of liquid) they couldn't tell through the scans. After removal they tested it and diagnosed stage 1, so I went for my second surgery a month later to remove my ovary. I didn't have to go through chemo because it was caught very early, so I am very thankful. There is hope, it's ok to be scared, I still am, but we're here to stick together and support each other. Let us know how it turns out!

Wishing you all the best!

Cristina
  • azgrandma
    azgrandma Member Posts: 609 Member

I was in the same situation,
    I was in the same situation, I'm now 18 but at age 15 I felt my stomach was bloated for several days and my back would hurt as I woke up. I would eat small amounts and feel instantly full, until one morning I woke up with extreme back pains. I later found out that I had a tumour, which they told me was on my intestine at first. Once through surgery they realized it was on my ovary, but due to its size (about 2L of liquid) they couldn't tell through the scans. After removal they tested it and diagnosed stage 1, so I went for my second surgery a month later to remove my ovary. I didn't have to go through chemo because it was caught very early, so I am very thankful. There is hope, it's ok to be scared, I still am, but we're here to stick together and support each other. Let us know how it turns out!

Wishing you all the best!

Cristina

Sending postivie energy your way
    I am sending prayers and postive energy your way hon.