Sad

alexcc
alexcc Member Posts: 19
I finished my chemo and had bilateral mastectomy the first of September. I started Arimedex the first of October. Around that time I started feeling sad which confused me. I had to planned to have a party when I was pronounced "cancer free". Now I cant make it through a day without crying. I am also very anxious all of the time. My doctor did put me on an antianxiety med but it doesnt seem to be helping alot. I had a couple of week where I couldn't get out of bed to go to work. (I worked through my whole course of treatment, minus a few sick days). I am now making myself get up and get to work, but it is hard to be productive. Thank goodness my boss is understanding! Any tips on shaking this VERY dark cloud I have over me. This is all so suprising!

Comments

• Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    I'm sorry you're sad........
    All I can offer you is that I think this is a very normal feeling and I know for myself, I still can feel very sad sometimes and I'm two years out of treatment.
    This disease s@#cks and emotions can run either way at any time. When I have sad days now, I try to be good to myself until it passes because it will pass and you'll feel better.
    Also, I don't know if the Arimidex might be contributing to your mood, but only a doctor can tell you that.

I wish you more happy days in the near future and just come here often to get your spirits lifted! These fellow kindreds are the best when you need a lift.
    God Bless,
    Big Hugs,
    Wanda
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member

I'm sorry you're sad........
    All I can offer you is that I think this is a very normal feeling and I know for myself, I still can feel very sad sometimes and I'm two years out of treatment.
    This disease s@#cks and emotions can run either way at any time. When I have sad days now, I try to be good to myself until it passes because it will pass and you'll feel better.
    Also, I don't know if the Arimidex might be contributing to your mood, but only a doctor can tell you that.

I wish you more happy days in the near future and just come here often to get your spirits lifted! These fellow kindreds are the best when you need a lift.
    God Bless,
    Big Hugs,
    Wanda

NORMAL...
    I firmly believe what you are experiencing is perfectly normal.....many, many us have gone through the same thing...it's after all treatment is over...all of a sudden, after months of treatment, it seems like we've been dropped like a hot potato...we've had medical professionals watching over us, checking on us, giving treatments, etc....we've been " taken care of".....then all of a sudden when it's all over, our doctor appointments are now every couple of months...who's looking out for us now????? It takes time to physically and mentally heal from all this...emotionally we're not the same person....the life we knew before breast cancer is gone....plain and simple....that's enough to make anyone sad.....it's going to take plenty of time to accept this and move on....don't be hard on yourself...give it time...it does get better! You're "normal"....but you'll have to find what they call " Your new normal"...and you will....

Wishing you happier days,
    Hugs, Nancy
  • DebbyB
    DebbyB Member Posts: 86
    Sad
    I have been there, too. I finished radiation last Monday and wondering where the excitement is. Now, its like 'what's next?'. I am scared and worried about recurrence. I am changing my diet and started swimming yesterday and going to make it a daily habit. Feeling like I am doing all I can do for me seems to help.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    MAJW said:

NORMAL...
    I firmly believe what you are experiencing is perfectly normal.....many, many us have gone through the same thing...it's after all treatment is over...all of a sudden, after months of treatment, it seems like we've been dropped like a hot potato...we've had medical professionals watching over us, checking on us, giving treatments, etc....we've been " taken care of".....then all of a sudden when it's all over, our doctor appointments are now every couple of months...who's looking out for us now????? It takes time to physically and mentally heal from all this...emotionally we're not the same person....the life we knew before breast cancer is gone....plain and simple....that's enough to make anyone sad.....it's going to take plenty of time to accept this and move on....don't be hard on yourself...give it time...it does get better! You're "normal"....but you'll have to find what they call " Your new normal"...and you will....

Wishing you happier days,
    Hugs, Nancy

The anti deprssants take a
    The anti deprssants take a while to kick in and sometimes they need to increase the dose or change the med altogether. some people say tamoxifen affects their mood, perhaps the arimediex is causing this. or amplifying the natural depression that occurs. let us know and talk to your doc again, not worth it to suffer through it. there is help/just need to find what works for you.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    DebbyB said:

Sad
    I have been there, too. I finished radiation last Monday and wondering where the excitement is. Now, its like 'what's next?'. I am scared and worried about recurrence. I am changing my diet and started swimming yesterday and going to make it a daily habit. Feeling like I am doing all I can do for me seems to help.

Honestly I think altering
    Honestly I think altering your diet watching your weight and exersizing goes a long way into preventing and or delaying recurrence. It all takes time but it does get better and life is good. A good book by Hester Hill Schnipper is "after Breast cancer" and it is great for when you are done.
  • robang13
    robang13 Member Posts: 333
    I felt the same way when I
    I felt the same way when I was done and put on tamoxifen. Finally I was also put on effexor which is an anti depressant not anti anxiety and it has helped a LOT! I would ask my doctor about this medication and see if it will work for you. It has been my sanity saver.

Angela
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    sorry to hear....i hope
    sorry to hear....i hope things get better soon..

Denise
  • alexcc
    Thanks
    Thanks to all of you for your words and help! I will probably be here often. I think it will help talking with those that have been through this. I know it helped my sister (who I lost to BC 17 years ago). It's helpful to know I am not just being weak.
  • DebbyB
    DebbyB Member Posts: 86
    carkris said:

Honestly I think altering
    Honestly I think altering your diet watching your weight and exersizing goes a long way into preventing and or delaying recurrence. It all takes time but it does get better and life is good. A good book by Hester Hill Schnipper is "after Breast cancer" and it is great for when you are done.

Thank you for the book tip.
    Thank you for the book tip. I looked it up on randomhouse.com and I will have to pick the book up. It feels like taking some charge of what I can is helping.
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    alexcc said:

Thanks
    Thanks to all of you for your words and help! I will probably be here often. I think it will help talking with those that have been through this. I know it helped my sister (who I lost to BC 17 years ago). It's helpful to know I am not just being weak.

drugs
    I've done the lumpectomy, chemo (taxol... herceptin) ... radiation ... then tamoxifen for about 2 years and now on arimadex (sp?).

I could not have made it through any of this without the help of effexor and xanax! I believe ... for me ... they are literally my life-savers.

hugs.
    teena
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    tgf said:

drugs
    I've done the lumpectomy, chemo (taxol... herceptin) ... radiation ... then tamoxifen for about 2 years and now on arimadex (sp?).

I could not have made it through any of this without the help of effexor and xanax! I believe ... for me ... they are literally my life-savers.

hugs.
    teena

Anyone have the opposite emotions?
    I was absolutely manic about 3 months after I finished treatments and started to feel good again. Honest, I think I needed "downers". It just felt so good to feel good again. I wanted to do everything and be involved in everything. I still think I have more energy than I did before cancer and by no means do I feel 64 years old.

I was on Wellbutrin before cancer and I haven't stopped taking it. I talked to my pcp about stopping (I'm tired of so many meds) and she said "not yet". In fact, she asked me if I'd considered that the Wellbutrin was why I was feeling so good. Duh.

I did feel lost when the safety net of seemingly constant check-ups and treatments (having had 2 cancers I have twice as many checkups) was pulled from under me and I do get cancerhead before all appointments still.

All in all, I think depression (or post traumatic stress syndrome) is quite common after cancer treatments. It's good that you recognize this and I hope you will continue to get help.

Suzanne
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    It could be
    post traumatic stress, it could be the Arimidex. Maybe, it's just that you slowed down and everything caught up to you. Tell your doctors

Sue
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    sbmly53 said:

It could be
    post traumatic stress, it could be the Arimidex. Maybe, it's just that you slowed down and everything caught up to you. Tell your doctors

Sue

Arimidex put me in a spiral
    Arimidex put me in a spiral of deep depression despite the fact that I was also taking an anti depressant. I stopped it on my own because I felt it was depriving me of my quality of living. I became very sensitive, teary eyed and somewhat intolerant of the smallest upsets. My onc put me on femara which has been much easier for me. As suggested discuss this with your doctors. We are all so different and have different reactions to meds and treatment. Wishing you the best.
  • alexcc
    robang13 said:

I felt the same way when I
    I felt the same way when I was done and put on tamoxifen. Finally I was also put on effexor which is an anti depressant not anti anxiety and it has helped a LOT! I would ask my doctor about this medication and see if it will work for you. It has been my sanity saver.

Angela

Effexor
    Talked to my docs and they started me on Effexor. Hope this helps. I am going to continue exercise and therapy. Thanks for your help.
  • alexcc
    natly15 said:

Arimidex put me in a spiral
    Arimidex put me in a spiral of deep depression despite the fact that I was also taking an anti depressant. I stopped it on my own because I felt it was depriving me of my quality of living. I became very sensitive, teary eyed and somewhat intolerant of the smallest upsets. My onc put me on femara which has been much easier for me. As suggested discuss this with your doctors. We are all so different and have different reactions to meds and treatment. Wishing you the best.

Arimidex
    I though of stopping Arimidex but since my GP put me on Effexor yesterday, I will give it a try. This is all so trial and error :( I have faith that we will hit upon the right combination soon! Thank you for your help.
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    alexcc said:

Arimidex
    I though of stopping Arimidex but since my GP put me on Effexor yesterday, I will give it a try. This is all so trial and error :( I have faith that we will hit upon the right combination soon! Thank you for your help.

I am glad
    I am glad you are on an anti depressant. This anti depressant is known to help reduce hot flashes as well. Considering that you have gone through bc, that is enough to depress anyone. I was on Effexor prior to bc and I could have had some really dark days without it.

If there is any history of depression in your family you may want to talk to your doctor about staying on what ever anti depressant works for you. I was switched to Effexor after being on another anti depressant for about 3 weeks as I had become allergic to the other one. I went back to the doctor after the first week of the other anti depressant. I had began to feel better after 3 days on this but it does take several weeks to get the full effect. When he asked how I was doing I said "Better but I am ticked off". He asked why I was ticked off. I asked "How long have I been messed up and didn't even know it?" He was unsure but was suprised I had not asked for an anti depressant sooner, knowing some of the family history. So keep trying even if it means switching to another medication. There is nothing better than a clear mind to tackle life's suprises with.
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member

I am glad
    I am glad you are on an anti depressant. This anti depressant is known to help reduce hot flashes as well. Considering that you have gone through bc, that is enough to depress anyone. I was on Effexor prior to bc and I could have had some really dark days without it.

If there is any history of depression in your family you may want to talk to your doctor about staying on what ever anti depressant works for you. I was switched to Effexor after being on another anti depressant for about 3 weeks as I had become allergic to the other one. I went back to the doctor after the first week of the other anti depressant. I had began to feel better after 3 days on this but it does take several weeks to get the full effect. When he asked how I was doing I said "Better but I am ticked off". He asked why I was ticked off. I asked "How long have I been messed up and didn't even know it?" He was unsure but was suprised I had not asked for an anti depressant sooner, knowing some of the family history. So keep trying even if it means switching to another medication. There is nothing better than a clear mind to tackle life's suprises with.

Echoing what everyohne else has said
    abut also putting in a plug for yoga. That has really improved my metal health with the breathing and relaxation. Go gentle though, not vigorous exercise!