back seems to be spasming

mollyz
mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
At least that's what it feels like,i mean every time i move i feel like i pull a muscle, remember about 2 weeks ago you all rode the pink bus with me to get a bone scan which turned out to be fine from mets but showed mild arthritis,i don't know at this point what to do,i actually started walking last week and the next day i couldn't hardly walk from lower back pain,i just lifted my arms up this morning and felt like i pulled a muscle and you know that hurts and it has to work it's way out and it can be sore for weeks,I've been on a heating pad and it doesn't help so i thought i would ask some of you ladies it's really getting where i can't walk strait cause of so much back pain i mean its in different areas......~~MollyZ~~

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Call you DR and talk to
    Call you DR and talk to her/him.

Were you put on anything for the arthritis? Might be time for something. I have arthritis in my upper back - it's been there for years but wasn't a bother til about 1 1/2 yrs ago (after chemo and rads). Last June I was put on daily Etodalac for it and it does make a big difference. Can still take Tylenol or Vicodan if needed but very sseldom is it needed.

Did you have a bone density test done? You could be heading to or have osteoporosis.

Possibly pinched a nerve or a disc fracture.

Ask about a TENS unit for the pain. For some pain, they are great. Mine used to work within 10 minutes and would take away all pain for several hours.

Talk to your DR.

Susan
  • mollyz
    Rague said:

Call you DR and talk to
    Call you DR and talk to her/him.

Were you put on anything for the arthritis? Might be time for something. I have arthritis in my upper back - it's been there for years but wasn't a bother til about 1 1/2 yrs ago (after chemo and rads). Last June I was put on daily Etodalac for it and it does make a big difference. Can still take Tylenol or Vicodan if needed but very sseldom is it needed.

Did you have a bone density test done? You could be heading to or have osteoporosis.

Possibly pinched a nerve or a disc fracture.

Ask about a TENS unit for the pain. For some pain, they are great. Mine used to work within 10 minutes and would take away all pain for several hours.

Talk to your DR.

Susan

had both bone scan and density test!
    and yes they said i was boarder line osteoporosis still osteopenia though. what is a TENS unit? wouldn't the bone scan show if i had had a pinched nerve or disc fracture,this thing keeps happening in different areas of the back. thanks for the info~~MollyZ~~
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    mollyz said:

had both bone scan and density test!
    and yes they said i was boarder line osteoporosis still osteopenia though. what is a TENS unit? wouldn't the bone scan show if i had had a pinched nerve or disc fracture,this thing keeps happening in different areas of the back. thanks for the info~~MollyZ~~

The bone scan would not show
    The bone scan would not show a pinched nerve. The best imaging study to analyze what is going on in your lower back would most likely be simple Xrays and/or an MRI. A bone scan looks for cancer in the bone, but may incidentally see arthritis.

An Xray will show any obvious issues. In my case, an Xray showed a slipped vertebrae (spondylolisthesis). The MRI showed that the nerve was severely affected. "MRI is the best test for showing a herniated disc, soft-tissue damage, tumor, or infection. MRI also has the advantage of not using the ionizing radiation that the CT scan does." (http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/should-i-have-magnetic-resonance-imaging-mri-for-low-back-pain)

My condition was deteriorating after many years of physical therapy and my spine had become unstable. Surgery was my only option and, fortunately, surgery fixed the problem completely.

In most cases of acute back pain, the pain will go away no matter what you do in 4-6 weeks. But talk to your doctor as persistent pain, with a history of cancer, needs to be followed. Also, pain or numbness radiating down your leg(s) always needs to be investigated (sciatica). Here is a good link re lower back pain:

Low Back Pain Treatment Overview

http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/tc/low-back-pain-treatment-overview
  • mollyz

The bone scan would not show
    The bone scan would not show a pinched nerve. The best imaging study to analyze what is going on in your lower back would most likely be simple Xrays and/or an MRI. A bone scan looks for cancer in the bone, but may incidentally see arthritis.

An Xray will show any obvious issues. In my case, an Xray showed a slipped vertebrae (spondylolisthesis). The MRI showed that the nerve was severely affected. "MRI is the best test for showing a herniated disc, soft-tissue damage, tumor, or infection. MRI also has the advantage of not using the ionizing radiation that the CT scan does." (http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/should-i-have-magnetic-resonance-imaging-mri-for-low-back-pain)

My condition was deteriorating after many years of physical therapy and my spine had become unstable. Surgery was my only option and, fortunately, surgery fixed the problem completely.

In most cases of acute back pain, the pain will go away no matter what you do in 4-6 weeks. But talk to your doctor as persistent pain, with a history of cancer, needs to be followed. Also, pain or numbness radiating down your leg(s) always needs to be investigated (sciatica). Here is a good link re lower back pain:

Low Back Pain Treatment Overview

http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/tc/low-back-pain-treatment-overview

Thank you!!
    I will go back to the Dr. this is really good information you gave me "CypressCynthia" and thanks for the websites also,you know what i'm going thru back pain is no fun it messes you up,it's been where i couldn't walk straight when i first get up. not good at all. ~~MollyZ~~
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    mollyz said:

Thank you!!
    I will go back to the Dr. this is really good information you gave me "CypressCynthia" and thanks for the websites also,you know what i'm going thru back pain is no fun it messes you up,it's been where i couldn't walk straight when i first get up. not good at all. ~~MollyZ~~

I am happy to help and I am
    I am happy to help and I am glad you are going to see your doctor. If there are no big issues with your back, a course of NSAIDS (like alleve or motin) or an NSAID patch, a muscle relaxer, rest, physical therapy, etc. may really help you manage the pain.
  • AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242

I am happy to help and I am
    I am happy to help and I am glad you are going to see your doctor. If there are no big issues with your back, a course of NSAIDS (like alleve or motin) or an NSAID patch, a muscle relaxer, rest, physical therapy, etc. may really help you manage the pain.

Massage
    Getting a massage might help if you can do it. It is one of my guilty pleasures. I go about twice a month. I get my neck, shoulders, and back done. It is so nice to spend 30 mins. in a quiet place. It has helped my back and done wonders for my relaxation. I hope you can get it worked out.

Janie