Mammograms with 3-D imaging

Options
mruczko
mruczko Member Posts: 110
Dear Pink Sisters:
I may have missed previous posts on this subject. Got a letter from the Breast Care Center at my local hospital (Memorial Herrmann in Houston) advising me that 3-D imaging technology of tomosynthesis is available immediate. This technology enables the radiologist to see inside the breast, especially good for those of us with dense breasts. Tomosynthesis takes 15 successive images at slightly different angles across the breast, resuslting in improved accuracy. The wonderful thing is - my insurance will be billed only for the regular 2-D digital mammogram, my co-pay is $50, well worth in my opinion. I'll request this technology at my next screening in January.
Marlene

Comments

• LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Marlene.
    Thanks for sharing Marlene. My breasts are dense because of my age, 33. So it would be nice to get an effective (and painless) screening method. Wishing you well on your visit. Please keep us posted and let us know how it turns out.
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing Marlene. My breasts are dense because of my age, 33. So it would be nice to get an effective (and painless) screening method. Wishing you well on your visit. Please keep us posted and let us know how it turns out.

Sounds good!
    Let us know how you make out. It's about time something like this was available, we've been hearing about it for years. WOnder when it will hit the smaller towns & hospitals etc.
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    skipper54 said:

Sounds good!
    Let us know how you make out. It's about time something like this was available, we've been hearing about it for years. WOnder when it will hit the smaller towns & hospitals etc.

Sounds good....
    You're so lucky that your insurance will pay for it. I always wondered if they would give us trouble even though it's obviously a far better image.
  • mruczko
    mruczko Member Posts: 110
    Options

Sounds good....
    You're so lucky that your insurance will pay for it. I always wondered if they would give us trouble even though it's obviously a far better image.

3-D mammography
    When I got the letter from my hospital, I wondered, too, how soon this technology would be available to smaller hospitals and clinics. The sooner the better. I had an abnormal mammogram in 2008 and after an ultrasound the decision was made there is no cancer. I am absolutely convinced the cancer was there and if I'd have had access to better screening and above all better technicians and radiologist - who knows! Actually, my insurance is only paying for the regular 2-D digital mammogram, my $50 co-pay will go towards the cost and the rest will be picked up (as far as I know) by a foundation. The Doctor in charge of the Breast Center was the prinicpal investigator of last year's clinical trials at the hospital. My opinion is - a cure for cancer is a long way off, but better screening techniques, better treatment options would make for earlier diagnosis and less trauma to us all.
    Marlene
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Good news Marlene! This
    Good news Marlene! This would be great for sisters like me with dense breasts too.