Hi guys need your advice

Options
Hii,

Thanks a lot guys for your advices....... Just a update on dad he just finished his therapy 25 radio and 5 chemo...... N sadly he is not taking it to well
He is very weak now cause he can't eat. He vomits out cough at times .....he doesn't even feel like talking ....now he is so tired :( we can't see him
Like this.....plz let me how long before he could eat well n recover ..... He finished his therapy today. And his endoscopy is scheduled after 15 days.....

For those who are reading my post for the first u can read my post "PLz help". To know more about my dads diagnosis .....

P.s. I hope and think it a stage 2 squamous carcinoma. PLz read my earlier post for more details..
Thanks ....
Shammi

Comments

• Daisylin
    Daisylin Member Posts: 365
    Options
    Hi Shammi
    Well, unfortunately, no one will be able to tell you how long until he starts feeling better. If your dad's losing weight, vomiting, not eating, weak and tired he NEEDS to have a feeding tube put in. Most recommended here is the j-tube, which feeds directly into the small intestine. The feeds run overnight (usually about 12 hours) which seems like a long time, but trust me, he'll feel so much stronger if he's getting nutrition. With the J-tube, even if he vomits, he won't lose his feeds. Also, the feeding tube is a great way to help him stay hydrated, which is so important for him.
    If they are doing the surgery, which they should if he's a stage ii, they will likely put a feeding tube in anyways, so perhaps if you could try to get it done sooner rather than later. I learned this from experience, and the hard way. My husband was almost starved and dehydrated to death when they finally decided he was 'ready' for a feeding tube. It literally bought him months of life. (he was stage ivb)

Also, as for vomiting, there are many medications available, he may have to try several different kinds before he finds the one that works best for him. You being in India, and me in Canada, I won't bother naming the drug names, as I'm sure they are named differently, but I would think they have mostly the same types of drugs.

Best of luck to you and your father, hope he is able to recover quickly and feel better soon
    Chantal
  • NGC1514
    NGC1514 Member Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Radiation and chemo...
    Knocked the stuffing out of me. I had 12 weeks of chemo and never missed a day at work (other than the infusion days), but two weeks of radiation with a "chemo boost", as the onc called it, put me flat on my back and on disability. The last week I was completely unable to eat both because of the pain from radiation burns inside the esophagus, but anything I tried to eat came right back up.

The good news is once radiation is done, recovery and healing comes pretty quick. I was finally able to eat and hold food down 3 days after treatment ended.

If he's not feeling better by the middle of the week, I'd strongly suggest being on the phone to his docs.

Eric in Atlanta
    11 year EC survivor
  • sham81
    sham81 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    NGC1514 said:

Radiation and chemo...
    Knocked the stuffing out of me. I had 12 weeks of chemo and never missed a day at work (other than the infusion days), but two weeks of radiation with a "chemo boost", as the onc called it, put me flat on my back and on disability. The last week I was completely unable to eat both because of the pain from radiation burns inside the esophagus, but anything I tried to eat came right back up.

The good news is once radiation is done, recovery and healing comes pretty quick. I was finally able to eat and hold food down 3 days after treatment ended.

If he's not feeling better by the middle of the week, I'd strongly suggest being on the phone to his docs.

Eric in Atlanta
    11 year EC survivor

Hi Eric n chantal
    Thxs for ur replies there's another thing which is bothering me I read a few post which say squamous carcinoma is More aggressive than andenocarcinoma
    .....the doc told me tht the prognosis of squamous carcinoma is good and is less aggressive which is contrary to what I read on forum........
    The other question which I have is can stage 2 squamous cell carcinoma be fully cured ? And does it have good survival rate at this stage....

This guys for u r help
    Shammi
  • chemosmoker
    chemosmoker Member Posts: 501
    Options
    sham81 said:

Hi Eric n chantal
    Thxs for ur replies there's another thing which is bothering me I read a few post which say squamous carcinoma is More aggressive than andenocarcinoma
    .....the doc told me tht the prognosis of squamous carcinoma is good and is less aggressive which is contrary to what I read on forum........
    The other question which I have is can stage 2 squamous cell carcinoma be fully cured ? And does it have good survival rate at this stage....

This guys for u r help
    Shammi

HOPE YOU WIN THIS BATTLE!!!!
    Shammie,
    I am NOT a doctor, but I understand that Adenocarcinoma is LESS aggressive than Squamous cell carcinoma. Anyone? Told THAT'S why it took mine 2 years to even start to block food? My evidence is I have gone 6 mos doing NOTHING but pain management, and things are moving slowly....so....

As for using the word cured, fully or otherwise; tough one. If stage II is where you are at you have a darn good chance to me to get at it an get it out. Just do that POST-SURGERY chemo cleanup cells go lose and float to other areas! Learned that here, take that to heart.
    Stage II ANY cancer has a better survival rate that anything later, but that's simply common
    sense...

God bless you wishing you a FULL win!!!
    Eiic
  • sham81
    Options
    NGC1514 said:

Radiation and chemo...

Eric in Atlanta
    11 year EC survivor

Hi
    It's been almost 12 days since dads radiation got over he still has trouble While he is eating his food pipe hurts.......and he get headaches as well after eating .....his health has improved becoz he is eating a bit now but he has pain while eating.......tomorrow we are taking him for his endoscopy to check how well he fared with treatment .....need prayers from all of u guys......I hope there is a significant improvement ....n he beats this terrible disease. I love him so much ....can't see him in pain .....he is my teacher my guide everything........PLz pray.....n advice
  • TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    Options
    sham81 said:

Hi
    It's been almost 12 days since dads radiation got over he still has trouble While he is eating his food pipe hurts.......and he get headaches as well after eating .....his health has improved becoz he is eating a bit now but he has pain while eating.......tomorrow we are taking him for his endoscopy to check how well he fared with treatment .....need prayers from all of u guys......I hope there is a significant improvement ....n he beats this terrible disease. I love him so much ....can't see him in pain .....he is my teacher my guide everything........PLz pray.....n advice

You have our prayers, Sham!
    Pain can be handled. Be sure to let the doctor know tomorrow that your dad has pain and ask them for something to help. There's no reason for him to have any pain.

If eating is going to be a challenge, then discuss a feeding tube with the doctor as well. That will enable your dad to still get nutrition and calories but avoid the challenge of getting something down a narrowing esophagus.

Positive thoughts and many prayers go with you tomorrow.

Terry
    Wife to Nick, age 48
    dx T3N1M0 05/19/11
    THE 09/08/11
    Clean Path 09/13/11
  • Heeran
    Heeran Member Posts: 171
    Options
    hi
    Hi Shammi,
    My mom has squamous cell stage 3b and we just got done with chemo/radiation 6 weeks ago. She is able to eat small foods although she doesn't have appetite. We make sure she gets 3 ensure protein drinks a day. It took a long time after the last session for her to be able to eat. She has been so depressed because she thought she would be feeling so much better by now but she doesn't. Back pain, insomnia, anxiety is overtaking her days and nights. She is taking medication to address all of these things but it's only helping mildly. We are now set for surgery next week and even though she is stage 3b, she has a chance for a cure. So if your dad is stage 2, he should theoretically have a better chance for a cure. Good luck to you. I know what you mean about them being everything to us. I've been grieving my mother ever since the diagnosis but that's why you come out to this group, for support. It has helped me a ton dealing with this.

Heeran
  • sham81
    Options
    Heeran said:

hi
    Hi Shammi,
    My mom has squamous cell stage 3b and we just got done with chemo/radiation 6 weeks ago. She is able to eat small foods although she doesn't have appetite. We make sure she gets 3 ensure protein drinks a day. It took a long time after the last session for her to be able to eat. She has been so depressed because she thought she would be feeling so much better by now but she doesn't. Back pain, insomnia, anxiety is overtaking her days and nights. She is taking medication to address all of these things but it's only helping mildly. We are now set for surgery next week and even though she is stage 3b, she has a chance for a cure. So if your dad is stage 2, he should theoretically have a better chance for a cure. Good luck to you. I know what you mean about them being everything to us. I've been grieving my mother ever since the diagnosis but that's why you come out to this group, for support. It has helped me a ton dealing with this.

Heeran

hi heeran
    Thxs. For u r support ...it means a lot .....all my heartfelt wishes for u r moms well being .....I am sure she will recover well after the surgery .....wat kind of surgery is u r mom going to have ? And where are u located ?