Dr. Oz had another show

Options
poopergirl14052
poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
on ovarian cancer and is spreading the word about symptoms..he had a few woman on who saw his show about ovca and they went to get checked.Turns out one did have it and was currently on chemo. The other lady had a crciod tumer and he showed what it looked like. It had a tooth and some hair. There is finally some one out there educating woman. Hats off to Dr. Oz...val

Comments

• LaundryQueen
    LaundryQueen Member Posts: 676
    Options
    I agree that it's good to
    I agree that it's good to have women educated about the symptoms of OVCA. Unfortunately, most women don't have symptoms until the disease is stage III or IV. What we really need is an accurate screening method to catch the disease early--if that's even possible.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options

I agree that it's good to have women educated about the symptoms of OVCA. Unfortunately, most women don't have symptoms until the disease is stage III or IV. What we really need is an accurate screening method to catch the disease early--if that's even possible.

Laundry Queen, you are
    Laundry Queen, you are absolutely right! A vaccine that works would be great, too!

Dr S and I had this discussion back when Dr Oz was looking for people for an earlier show on OC. They wanted women who went to the doctor with symptoms, but were misdiagnosed (or ignored). I told the lady from his show that emailed me, "I don't have the right story for the angle you are hoping to spin. No one dropped the ball. No one ignored anything. I wasn't misdiagnosed. I had no symptoms until I was Stage IIIc. None."

I did have one bout of painful constipation, about 3 months before I was diagnosed, but I was able to resolve it quite easily. Who goes running to the doctor because they were constipated for a few hours?

As Dr S says, this (lack of symptoms) is never going to change. All that "listen, because it whispers" stuff is not helping. We need a reliable, affordable method of early detection and/or a vaccine that will prevent recurrence.

Carlene
  • tropical_dreams28
    Options
    Good for Dr. Oz!! We need
    Good for Dr. Oz!! We need more people just talking about it!!
  • Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

Speaking of Symptoms
    I would have said I had no symptoms until three months prior to my diagnosis, when I started having pain in my ovary and extended bleeding. That was followed by pain just below my naval with gas, immedieately after I had a D & C. Yes, my doctors got a little distracted. But I was recently reading a post on another board describing symptoms a woman had including the feeling of the need to defacate. I remembered that off and on for quite some time, and I wish I could remember for just how long, at night sometimes I would feel pressure in my rectum, but I knew I did not need to have a bowel movement. In hindsight, I am convinced this was a sign of a tumor in that area, and during debulking, I had a bowel resection at my rectum. I was having CA-125 tests done for years prior to diagnosis, but my CA-125 a year prior was 9, and my CA-125 is a good indicator of disease. I agree that they need a better diagnostic tool for early detection.