Did my speech

Options
jbeans888
jbeans888 Member Posts: 313
Yesterday I did my first ovarian cancer/self-acceptance speech. I spoke to about 40 people mainly girls between 13 to 18 yrs oldalong with their teachers, for approximately 35 minutes and I told them my story and advocated that we all have problems, but accepting what is wrong makes it easier to handle and allows you to go thru it in a more positive light. It went really well and I had a ton of good questions afterward. It felt good to get it all out while also providing awareness to others. I even made packets from handouts I received from different organizations that listed symptoms, statistics and what women should know. One girl even came up to me afterward and said she had a few sunroof and wanted to get checked, but didn't have insurance. So I told her about a local clinic that could help her. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Joyce

Comments

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your first speech
    Joyce:

What a nice thing that you are doing! Just think how many of those 40 people you spoke to will remember what you said and how many of those you were able to help.

Kudos to you! Happy Thanksgiving.

Kathy
  • poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Kaleena said:

Congratulations on your first speech
    Joyce:

What a nice thing that you are doing! Just think how many of those 40 people you spoke to will remember what you said and how many of those you were able to help.

Kudos to you! Happy Thanksgiving.

Kathy

So proud of you
    for spreading the word and sharing your personal journey with these young girls. Keep on doing your mission and many woman will thank you..val
  • lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options

So proud of you
    for spreading the word and sharing your personal journey with these young girls. Keep on doing your mission and many woman will thank you..val

You Did Good!
    Who knows how many lives you saved by bravely speaking about your journey and spreading the word.

Kelly
  • Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I just love your message
    I love that your message was to accept things as they are in order to move forward. What a powerful lesson for women of that age to learn.
  • Radioactive34
    Radioactive34 Member Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You are very brave. I try
    You are very brave. I try to talk about my cancer and still tear up about it. One day I hope to be able to tell the world about it, too. Kudos and congratulations.
  • Sunnyjh
    Sunnyjh Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Go girl
    You go girl,so important that we share what we have learned and continue to learn with others! Judy
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    You go girl!
    so glad it turned out so well, but I KNEW it would.
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • EnglishGal
    EnglishGal Member Posts: 101
    Options
    So glad it went well!
    Hi Joyce, thanks for coming back and reporting on your speech. So glad to hear it went well but then I knew it would. You are doing a great public service with those young girls, they need to know what ovarian cancer is all about. I hope you had a good Thanksgiving. Our Canadian Thanksgiving was in early October but as some of the other sisters have said, we are all thankful for all our teal sisters and thankful for the gift of life every day.

Ann